• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Missed Out in 2024 Polls" Draft

Silver Silva

International Debutant
My Team

1.Mark Taylor ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‘จโ€โœˆ๏ธ
2.Michael Slater ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ
3.Andrew Jones ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ
4.Basil Butcher ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡พ๐Ÿ
5.Dean Jones ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ
6.Aubrey Faulkner ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
7.Mushfiqur Rahim ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿงค
8.Mitchell Johnson ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ
9.Darren Gough ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ
10.Saqlain Mushtaq ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฐ
11.Mohammad Asif ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฐ

Last edited:

Teuton

International Captain
Justin Langer
David Warner
Dilip Vengsarkar
Mohammad Yousuf
Mohammad Azharuddin
Warwick Armstrong c
Quinton de Kock
Maurice Tate
Charlie Turner
Shane Bond
Stuart MacGill

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bill Ponsford
Chris Gayle
David Boon
Alvin Kallicharran
Patsy Hendren
Basil D'Oliveira
Matt Prior
Graeme Swann
Fazal Mahmood
Trent Boult
Colin Croft

ataraxia

International Coach
Jim Parks!

1 Conrad Hunte /
2 Trevor Goddard* o /
3 Tom Graveney /
4 Vijay Hazare /
5 Phil Mead /
6 Angelo Mathews / o
7 Mushtaq Mohammad / o
8 Jim Parks + /
9 Tony Lock o
10 Tim Southee o
11 Craig McDermott o

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
WG Grace
Sid Barnes
Frank Woolley
Marnus Labuschagne
Graham Thorpe
Stanley Jackson*
Alec Stewart+
Learie Constantine
Fred Spofforth
Bill Voce
Sonny Ramadhin

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Best of the Rest XI:

1. Archie Maclaren
  2. John Edrich
  3. Mohinder Amarnath
  4. Ernest Tyldesly
  5. Gundappa Viswanath
  6. Jack Ryder (c)
  7. Wridhimann Saha (wk)
  8. Johnny Briggs
  9. Fanie de Villiers
  10. Makhaya Ntini
  11. Tom Richardson

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Best of the Rest XI:

1. Archie Maclaren
  2. John Edrich
  3. Mohinder Amarnath
  4. Ernest Tyldesly
  5. Gundappa Viswanath
  6. Jack Ryder (c)
  7. Wridhimann Saha (wk)
  8. Johnny Briggs
  9. Fanie de Villiers
  10. Makhaya Ntini
  11. Tom Richardson
There are a number of other options ahead of Saha imo.

I think Ntini actually got picked. I'd go for James Pattinson instead.

I'm also surprised that no one picked Misbah Ul Haq. If Jardine hadn't been available I would've nabbed him.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
There are a number of other options ahead of Saha imo.

I think Ntini actually got picked. I'd go for James Pattinson instead.

I'm also surprised that no one picked Misbah Ul Haq. If Jardine hadn't been available I would've nabbed him.
Nah, I don't think any better option than Saha exists atm. Latiff and Kirmani are decent choices, but I have Saha ahead of both and a decent no of keepers picked.

Nope, no one took Ntini. With 390 wickets, I think he deserves to be in this team.

Misbah is a great choice, though I don't want to change anyone in this middle order.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, I don't think any better option than Saha exists atm. Latiff and Kirmani are decent choices, but I have Saha ahead of both and a decent no of keepers picked.

Nope, no one took Ntini. With 390 wickets, I think he deserves to be in this team.

Misbah is a great choice, though I don't want to change anyone in this middle order.
Smith, Blundell, Parore, Haddin, Moin Khan, Hashan Tillerkaratne, Taibu

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Smith, Blundell, Parore, Haddin, Moin Khan, Hashan Tillerkaratne, Taibu
Ian Smith worse keeper and bat imo.

Blundell worse keeper comparatively
and not enough of a batting improvement

Parore is not an up to the mark bat

Haddin is a decent keep and not enough batting improvement

Moin Khan slightly better bat at best and much worse keeper

Tillakratne didn't kept long enough

Taibu slightly better bat but worse keeper

I rate Saha in the same bracket as Marsh, Russell and Jayawardene; slightly ahead of Latiff, Taibu and Kirmani. Among the ones you mentioned, I may change my mind on Blundell at best if he makes runs for a few more years.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Saha was the best keeper of the 2010s. Also, Smith hardly kept to top tier spinners on rank turners, I rate doing that higher than keeping to pacers.
Watling was - he kept to Sodhi and Craig turning it heaps but bowling lots of pies 80% of the time and stood up to CDG swinging it.

Smith kept to John Bracewell's big gripping offspinners. In the last test we won in India way back in 1988, Bracewell spun NZ to victory.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Watling was - he kept to Sodhi and Craig turning it heaps but bowling lots of pies 80% of the time and stood up to CDG swinging it.

Smith kept to John Bracewell's big gripping offspinners. In the last test we won in India way back in 1988, Bracewell spun NZ to victory.
I think Saha keeping long terms to Jadeja and especially Ashwin in Nagpur like pitches and making very few mistakes triumphs them. As a pure keeper, Saha is well clear of Watling for me.
Also, no, I don't think Parore was a better bat than Saha, and while Haddin was a decent keeper; his batting advantage isn't huge enough to make the leap for me.

Last edited:

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
  1. Vijay Merchant
  2. Bill Woodfull (c)
  3. Cheteshwar Pujara
  4. Herbie Taylor
  5. Eddie Barlow
  6. Monty Noble
  7. Denis Lindsay (wk)
  8. Jack Gregory
  9. Wilfred Rhodes
  10. Sylvester Clarke
  11. Wayne Daniel
I will take on L&Ls offer and right small posts about a few of my players.

Vijay Merchant: Nicknamed "The Don of the East", during World War II Merchant averages a whopping 156. His FC average of 71 is only second to Don himself for 10000+ runs. While an average of 47.7 in 10 Test matches in English conditions without any not outs sounds good, especially when playing for a very weak batting line-up; his Test career fails to showcase his total potential imo. He toured England twice and scored 4130 FC runs at an average of 61.5 in England; his average being only behind Don and Headley, even including English batsmen. Bedser rated him ahead of Gavaskar and as the best foreign batsman in sticky dogs.

Herbie Taylor: South Africa's first great batsman. The only batsman to average 40+ while batting at Top 3 almost exclusively pre WWI besides Hobbs. His Magnum opus came in the series in which Barnes destroyed SA, taking 49 wickets in 4 matches. He was the only SA batsman who stood up to him, leading the run scorers chart ahead of Hobbs with 508 @50 vs Barnes.

Eddie Barlow: I think most people rate Eddie Barlow the batsman fairly well. Imo, his 45 Test average describes his batting adequately. But I think many people don't know how lethal Barlow the bowler was. His 34 Test average being 10 points higher than his FC, is due to some really solid misfortunes. His bowling first came into place and he got notable success with his outswingers in 1970, the year SA was banned. In the subsequent ROW XI vs England series, matches which initially had Test status, he took 20 wickets at under 20 for ROW XI vs England, being the second highest Wicket taker. He end up with 571 FC wickets @24.

Monty Noble:
Probably the text book definition of a proper allrounder, Noble was among Australia's best of his time in batting, bowling, fielding and captaincy. Imo, the best Australian allrounder after Miller quite easily. Mostly batting at Top 5 his whole career, was rated highly for his abilities in Sticky dogs. Playing during Pre WWI 14000 FC runs @40 (2000 @30 in Tests) and 624 wickets @ 23 (121 @25 in Tests).

Wilfred Rhodes:
To clarify, I am taking Rhodes the bowling allrounder, who was a very good lower order batsman; but arguably the best SLA of All Time. With more FC wickets than anyone in history in a very long career, his bowling average in Test marked down by playing a big proportion of his matches as a batsman who was a support bowler. Nonetheless, while centenary teams came around, he was included in almost every team as experts believed him to be an all conditions bowler, while Verity and Laker were seen as bad pitch ones. 40000 FC runs @30 (2325 @30 in Tests) and 4200 wickets @16.7 (127 @27) in a career spanning over 5 separate decades.

Sylvester Clarke:
The lack of talent wasn't his problem, but the excess of in the hands of WI during his playing days was. Add to that his rebel tour and his Test career never got the opportunity to bloom. His talent properly came to fruition in his FC careers in England and SA, where he was as good as any bowler playing there. He took 591 wickets @19 in his County career for Sussex and took 193 wickets @ 20 in SA. In his best season in SA, he took 85 @12. He also had success in his limited chances in SC, took 21 @33 in India and was WI's best bowler by a mile and had a great series with 14 @17 in Pakistan.

Wayne Daniel:
Pretty close to what happened to Clarke. Competitive team and lost favour due to WSC. Daniel played most of his career for Middlesex, where he became one of the most successful and popular overseas player in England and took a total of 867 FC wickets @22.5; mostly for Middlesex.
Sylvers, Barlow and Taylor! I fully intend to give this team a spectator vote. However, I must mention that Clarke played for Surrey rather than Sussex.