• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Labuschagne test average

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You've already said the ball was soft and the pitch was docile.
Yeah but trying to match a mammoth score in the first innings is one of the toughest things to do in cricket even on flat decks. It's enormously taxing mentally, not to mention with a massive score on the board, the fielding team has licence to keep attacking fields in for basically the entire innings so small mistakes tend to be punished easily.

I'd also say the pitch, though flat, was clearly not a 600 pitch.

Molehill

International Captain
Oh well I guess that makes it not count then. Guess we should rub off Root's ton at Edgbaston too.

Come on. It's still a good innings and is very promising for Thursday. He looked good and deserved his hundred. It just wasn't some Smith 2019 worldie or anything like that, it was a standard Test hundred albeit one which is match-saving after a fashion.
I did say he played well, and he never really looked like getting out. He saw off the new ball which was probably the key bit and then took advantage later (when his team mates should also have done so).

It would've been interesting if just another 20 overs was bowled in the Test, England were due a new ball and I think might've run through the tail.

loterry1994

International Debutant
We’ll see how he goes in more away series he plays. Think he’ll score big in the Aus summer with windies and Pakistan touring though

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Labuschagne future ATG and he Will get his average back up don’t think he drop down like others are saying.

Labuschagne next tests are at home against Pakistan! He should eat them up this summer average fixed.

Labuschagne still hasn't hit his peak yet which is bad news for England and India.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Not long ago he had the highest current official (20 or more innings') average but is now only 5th highest and will drop to 6th once Saud Shakeel plays a bit more.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
He had 3 tons against the windies in the 2 tests he played last year against them. You would think he has every chance of improving on that given they tour late this year again. If you expunge those two tests from his record however, his overall test average goes down to 48.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
He had 3 tons against the windies in the 2 tests he played last year against them. You would think he has every chance of improving on that given they tour late this year again. If you expunge those two tests from his record however, his overall test average goes down to 48.
Aussies have padded massively versus the Windies.

Labuschagne without WI-
IMG_5750.jpeg

Steve Smith without WI-
IMG_5749.jpeg

Labuschagne is averging 167.3 against the Windies, while Smith is averaging 150.4 against them.

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
This entire conversation just puts into perspective how freakin' good Steve Smith is. Many were comparing Labu to him not long ago.

It'll be a sad day when he walks away from cricket but I hope he times it right. Would be a shame if he pulls a Clarke and walks away with a significantly worse average than he's had for most his career.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Aussies have padded massively versus the Windies.

Labuschagne without WI-
View attachment 36797

Steve Smith without WI-
View attachment 36798

Labuschagne is averging 167.3 against the Windies, while Smith is averaging 150.4 against them.
The difference is that Smith is still obviously a great player even if you take Windies out of the equation. Regardless of whether Labuschagne fills his boots against them, you only need to look at his overall record against nearly every other team to conclude that he is nowhere near the same class.

Owzat

U19 Captain
Got the chance to next year, 3 Tests against them and SL. I mean win 5 of those and England would be right in the WTC picture.
remember the days when the windies vs England was 5 tests, sometimes 6, been 4 and 3 for quite a long time

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
The difference is that Smith is still obviously a great player even if you take Windies out of the equation. Regardless of whether Labuschagne fills his boots against them, you only need to look at his overall record against nearly every other team to conclude that he is nowhere near the same class.
Yeah, thats obvious even watching them bat. One is an ATG, other is not.

And it will take some big effort & improvement if he is to ever reach the ATG status.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Still needs to prove himself away. Think our batsmen will pad their records up more don’t see the windies and Pakistan tests being that hard for them. How windies are coming two summers in a row in Aus I have no idea

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
How South Africa is playing neither England or Australia this WTC cycle is an even bigger mystery.

Yes Aus should have roped in someone else, perhaps SL/NZ for home tests, instead of bringing the same minnow opposition again. In fact, it should be WI away and SL home, not the other way around.

(Australia play SL away in 2024/25).

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Still needs to prove himself away. Think our batsmen will pad their records up more don’t see the windies and Pakistan tests being that hard for them. How windies are coming two summers in a row in Aus I have no idea
I am a little sceptical that it will be so easy for him to change the record so significantly away from home given that he is quite some way into his career. Up to a point, it is a surprise he hasn't done better in UK tests given a) his good series in 2019 and b) that he's played plenty of county cricket for Glamorgan. It just shows how unique Australia as a place is to bat these days. Pace and bounce aplenty and very little lateral movement, especially with the drop-in pitches.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A poor overall series for him but he possibly retained the Ashes for Oz at OT? Not out of the question that we’d have ran through the rest in a session if we’d have got him early

Last edited: