• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

Yeoman

U19 Vice-Captain
Sean Hunt getting a game for Sussex, saw him play, and he is the "type" that selectors are obsessed with, he looks capable of bowling quick to me, and he's a leftie which helps.
He bowled well today but didn’t seem any faster than Ben Coad, another who has a fine record but who is deemed not fast enough for international cricket.

While the bowlers were on top in most matches today, the pitch at Hove was dark and green tinged which surely helped the seamers. There was a good crowd in.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Early notice:
Four National Counties will be battling it out at Chester Boughton Hall on Sunday 26th for the T20 Cup. Tickets are available to be purchased in advance for £10 (chlidren free) online via eventbrite
Usual T20 finals day format. Teams reaching the final will be decided this Sunday with 3 Counties playing at each of Furness (Cumbria), Slough (Berks), Little Tew (Oxon) and Manor Park (Norfolk).
Down the road from me. Will try and pop down

Chin Music

State 12th Man
I watched Surrey v Worcestershire at the Oval yesterday. In theory, there was hope that the visitors tail might wag and allow a fraught Surrey second innings. However, despite a dogged enough start to the day by Brett D’Oliveira and Joe Leach, Worrall maintained an immaculate line to get the latter to edge one and the last two wickets went very cheaply. A lead of 85 already looked daunting on a rather verdant Oval pitch.

Worcestershire then bowled very niggardly with the new ball against the well known defensively orientated Burns and Sibley. Blokes around me commented on the rather large unit of Leach being akin to a nightclub bouncer. However, Worcestershire would maintain their discipline for a long while. Even though the opening partnership would accrue 80 or so, Surrey would lose four quick wickets and be 115-4, including Ollie Pope for 1 caught by a leg slip trap.

In theory, if Worcestershire had limited Surrey to a 250 lead they would have had a realistic chance of chasing that. However, Dan Lawrence was dropped on 4; and it looked a dolly. After that him and Jamie Smith took the bowling apart and that was pretty much that. Smith did drag on to his stumps and departed for an attractive 72 (a PLF Ali TT!) but the damage was done. Jordan Clark would come in and continue with the aggression getting to 69no with the sun finally coming out for the latter part of the day. Surrey ended on 342-5 427 runs ahead.

It seems inevitable that Surrey should wrap up this match and have a significant lead in the Championship.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I watched Surrey v Worcestershire at the Oval yesterday. In theory, there was hope that the visitors tail might wag and allow a fraught Surrey second innings. However, despite a dogged enough start to the day by Brett D’Oliveira and Joe Leach, Worrall maintained an immaculate line to get the latter to edge one and the last two wickets went very cheaply. A lead of 85 already looked daunting on a rather verdant Oval pitch.

Worcestershire then bowled very niggardly with the new ball against the well known defensively orientated Burns and Sibley. Blokes around me commented on the rather large unit of Leach being akin to a nightclub bouncer. However, Worcestershire would maintain their discipline for a long while. Even though the opening partnership would accrue 80 or so, Surrey would lose four quick wickets and be 115-4, including Ollie Pope for 1 caught by a leg slip trap.

In theory, if Worcestershire had limited Surrey to a 250 lead they would have had a realistic chance of chasing that. However, Dan Lawrence was dropped on 4; and it looked a dolly. After that him and Jamie Smith took the bowling apart and that was pretty much that. Smith did drag on to his stumps and departed for an attractive 72 (a PLF Ali TT!) but the damage was done. Jordan Clark would come in and continue with the aggression getting to 69no with the sun finally coming out for the latter part of the day. Surrey ended on 342-5 427 runs ahead.

It seems inevitable that Surrey should wrap up this match and have a significant lead in the Championship.
I watched much of the 2nd and 3rd sessions on the live stream. Clark really is the ideal county number 7 nowadays; increasingly consistent with the bat, usually chipping in with wickets when they're needed, and looking in no danger of being called up by England. I thought that Pope's dismissal was really lame, gently chipping to the bloke who had just been placed at leg slip instead of properly going through with the shot. I know he made runs in the first innings, but he doesn't look right to me. As for Lawrence, this is his best match yet for Surrey, top scoring in both innings when we looked like being bowled out cheaply on both occasions. As someone mentioned a week or so back, coming in after Foakes probably isn't what he wanted and probably won't be where he stays given both men's form in this match.

Like you, I was expecting Surrey to have a significant lead in the CC after this round of matches, but Essex may yet have other ideas. First innings deficit of 230? No worries; just bowl the opposition out so cheaply that they're chasing something under 300 in the 4th innings.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Simultaneously, Surrey are bowled out setting Worcesterishire a target of 513, and Essex have finished off Warwickshire for 94 setting a target of 330.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bloody ridiculous Crawley actually having a bloody rare good day in football and cricket.

Somerset have let a few games slip this year.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Double now and making it look unbelievably easy. Admittedly the bowling hasn't looked up to much
Are you watching it at Taunton, or following the live stream?

Beyond that, there's a good chance Crawley's made the highest ever second innings score after a golden duck first time around.

And in other news, Leach is bowling beautifully right now.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Like you, I was expecting Surrey to have a significant lead in the CC after this round of matches, but Essex may yet have other ideas. First innings deficit of 230? No worries; just bowl the opposition out so cheaply that they're chasing something under 300 in the 4th innings.
You read it here first. Warwickshire will be hoping that they do something significant with the new ball tomorrow, or Essex are going to piss this.

Bijed

International Regular
Are you watching it at Taunton, or following the live stream?

Beyond that, there's a good chance Crawley's made the highest ever second innings score after a golden duck first time around.

And in other news, Leach is bowling beautifully right now.
At Taunton, lovely day for it :)

And I did wonder about that record!