• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Euro 2020 General Discussion

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah granted I haven't played top level sport but I've done flights across Australia and worked the next day. But if it was a night flight my point is moot. I certainly know trying to get a good sleep on a plane is a bitch

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
England got an easier geographical route because we won our group. Obviously semis and final we would always have been home had we made it but had we drawn with the Czechs, our journey would have been Budapest, Baku, London.

grecian

England got an easier geographical route because we won our group. Obviously semis and final we would always have been home had we made it but had we drawn with the Czechs, our journey would have been Budapest, Baku, London.
Yes but we had home advantage which helped us win our group, it all seems a flawed system TBH.

It's a classic if ain't broke don't fix it scenario, they fixed it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I remembered this when I saw last night's Copa America result. As an Englishman one's instinctively anti anything Argentinian on general principle, but did afford myself a slight chuckle.

I mean, pointing out when Piers Morgan is wrong is pretty much the definition of shooting fish in a barrel, but, using the ungreat man's logic, can we now say Argentina's win means Messi is definitively the GOAT? How many Copa Americas has Ronaldo won, after all? :ph34r:

Pothas

This has been so much better than the last Euros.

Italy winning their last two games on penalties is slightly unsatisfactory though.

Teja.

Global Moderator
It has been a tremoundously fun tournament and has reinvigorated my interest in watching football.

****ing hate penalty shoot outs though, especially in the final. Always feels like a cheap and unsatisfactory result to me at the end of a month long tournament. Not sure there’s any other better way though.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Now that I think about it, it's very weird that replays used to be standard and now they're almost unthinkable. They're infinitely superior to a penalty shoot-out in a sporting sense, and they'd surely make far more money for everyone involved too.

Niall

International Coach
It has been a tremoundously fun tournament and has reinvigorated my interest in watching football.

****ing hate penalty shoot outs though, especially in the final. Always feels like a cheap and unsatisfactory result to me at the end of a month long tournament. Not sure there’s any other better way though.
Pen's are great excitement to be fair.

Takes a serious amount of skill and courage to score them with so much on the line.

Credit to Donnarumma tonight.

Thinking about the penalty choices.....I don't think its as terrible as twitter are saying. Rashford regularly takes them for Utd and was unlucky, Sancho has a good record for Dortmund,,,maybe the last penalty should have been someone else? But one bad call really. Sterling has a so-so record with City lets not forget.

I'd argue Southgate deserves more criticism for letting the game drift after such a bright start, Italy are top, but the were their for the taking tonight.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Imagine how sad you’d have to be to change your avatar to the winners after your team has never yet advanced from the knockouts of ****ing anything

Teja.

Global Moderator
Pen's are great excitement to be fair.

Takes a serious amount of skill and courage to score them with so much on the line.

Credit to Donnarumma tonight.

Thinking about the penalty choices.....I don't think its as terrible as twitter are saying. Rashford regularly takes them for Utd and was unlucky, Sancho has a good record for Dortmund,,,maybe the last penalty should have been someone else? But one bad call really. Sterling has a so-so record with City lets not forget.

I'd argue Southgate deserves more criticism for letting the game drift after such a bright start, Italy are top, but the were their for the taking tonight.
For me it feels like a drawn MMA match having an arm wrestling contest at the end to decide the winner.

Obviously there are people who are great at the exercise but it doesn’t test the full spectrum of skills in a meaningful way to satisfactorily judge the better team and while it has people who are very good at it, it still feels like a huge variance fest to me.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't have a problem with the choice of penalty takers. I don't agree Rashford was unlucky. He dithered for ages, his run up was all over the place, then he paused and screwed it off target. That's not his normal method.

Decent tournament though. The overriding memory at the moment is our diabolical second half performance, but that might fade eventually.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Now that I think about it, it's very weird that replays used to be standard and now they're almost unthinkable. They're infinitely superior to a penalty shoot-out in a sporting sense, and they'd surely make far more money for everyone involved too.
But back in those days, knock out matches were rarely drawn, so it was kind of academic anyway. Maybe teams are much fitter nowadays. Without checking, there was that drawn semi-final in the 1968 euros that was decided on the toss of a coin, and replays were used to sort out the group stage once or twice in the WC. And thinking about it, here were one or two in the 1930s WCs when they didn't have a group stage and just played knock-outs from the start. The obvious problem until the final is fitting the replay before the next round. Perhaps playing it the very next day so the winner still has a few days to recover before the next round would work. Replaying a drawn final does make sense though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I know I shouldn't be surprised by this, but the three lads who missed their penalties have been subjected to the usual torrent of racist abuse on 'social' (surely that's the wrong term) media. Is it really to hard to trace these morons and throw the book at them?

duffer

I know I shouldn't be surprised by this, but the three lads who missed their penalties have been subjected to the usual torrent of racist abuse on 'social' (surely that's the wrong term) media. Is it really to hard to trace these morons and throw the book at them?
I read a theory on reddit that it was foreign accounts and bots who made those posts and true English fans would never do it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There was a crushing sense of inevitability about that, yeah.

Doesn't excuse or mitigate the ****ishness one iota though.

Jonathan Liew pointed out a few days ago that, of our starting line up for the semi, only 3 of the 11 players aren't actually qualified to play for another country.

The racist nobends might want to think on that for a while.