• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will England Ever Hold The Ashes Again?

Realistically, will they?

• No

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Nyet

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Hell to the No

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Nein

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Non

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • óchi ef̱charistó̱

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • No with added laughter

Votes: 15 71.4%

• Total voters

the big bambino

International Captain
Yeah, I'm sure Smith bats on as long as he wants to, and you're right, if he's a 45 bat then that's hardly a bad thing in the modern day. Question might be whether he can cope himself with being that standard.

I think Head could become an issue, it's now universal knowledge he's uncomfortable against short stuff and will need to sort that out.

Who are the potential seamers? Every player who seems to get a mention (Abbott the latest) is the wrong side of 30.
Lance Morris, Spencer Johnson, Will Sutherland (fast medium AR) and of course Jhye Richardson.

danzydab

U19 12th Man
Australia will play with an old and out of form smith (most likely). Not sure who will be the new openers. Marnus, Green and Head will be Australia's main batsmen. The batting will be weaker.

England will go with a very new bowling attack, Tongue, Atkinson should play. Wonder if Broad will do a Jimmy and play above 40

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
To answer the OP. This will happen in the fullness of time, when the stars align, the prophecies fulfilled and and the chosen one rises.

Chrish

International Debutant
Terrific comeback by England. As I pointed out earlier, I don’t remember team coming back in the series after loosing first two games in my lifetime.

Baz indeed has breathed a new life in this team. Good on him.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Terrific comeback by England. As I pointed out earlier, I don’t remember team coming back in the series after loosing first two games in my lifetime.

Baz indeed has breathed a new life in this team. Good on him.
Perhaps this bodes well that the next Down under Ashes will not be such a one sided beat down.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Perhaps this bodes well that the next Down under Ashes will not be such a one sided beat down.
I don’t know if you guys don’t bring bowlers with a bit more pace then think England will struggle again. It’s not the first time where England have looked like a top side before the Ashes in Australia then to get absolutely flogged. Think you need guys like Tongue, Wood and maybe Archer there if possible. If your main attack is someone like Robinson think it’ll be a struggle

Molehill

International Captain
I don’t know if you guys don’t bring bowlers with a bit more pace then think England will struggle again. It’s not the first time where England have looked like a top side before the Ashes in Australia then to get absolutely flogged. Think you need guys like Tongue, Wood and maybe Archer there if possible. If your main attack is someone like Robinson think it’ll be a struggle
In the last Ashes, England had 4 bowlers (Anderson, Broad, Wood, Robinson) who took wickets at under 27 runs. The problem wasn't the bowling. Bairstow averaged 48 in 2 Tests, next best average was Root's 32!! You had Stokes 23, Buttler 15, Burns 12, Pope 11. Duckett is likely to top Burns' average if he stays in for 3 overs!!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In the last Ashes, England had 4 bowlers (Anderson, Broad, Wood, Robinson) who took wickets at under 27 runs. The problem wasn't the bowling. Bairstow averaged 48 in 2 Tests, next best average was Root's 32!! You had Stokes 23, Buttler 15, Burns 12, Pope 11. Duckett is likely to top Burns' average if he stays in for 3 overs!!
3 balls

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Australia will win next ashes mark my words 4-0.

Wood and Archer are too injury pone and lack Stamina to do enough damage to Australia in next ashes.

Australian also handed wood well last time in Australia.

Australia know how to play pace in Australian conditions.

England will most likely win the 2027 series...