• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

USA interfere in Stanford 20:20

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4329752a1823.html

Not entirely sure what purpose is served by the USA refusing to allow Cuba to compete in the Stanford 20:20. Its a real shame to my mind. Cuba has had some great athletes in the past, and what's to say that they couldn't provide a player or two for the West Indies in the future. After all, if Anguilla can do it, why can't Cuba?

This really does strike me as interference for the sake of it.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
They still haven't gotten over the fiasco at the Bay of Pigs after all these years :)

Where's General Curtis LeMay when you need him ?

Hoggy31

International Captain
One would imagine with their history of producing gun baseballers, they'd have a few natural cricketers.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Its completely understandble from a US foreign policy stand point. It isnt interference rather than the continued application of a long standing policy.

Stanford hasnt been targeted at all, rather he hasnt been granted special dispensation.

However, disappointing from a cricketing perspective.

TheLad

School Boy/Girl Captain
The tournament as I understand is not endorsed by any recognised world sporting body but as a private business tournament. The US are keeping with their long standing embargo on allowing US business and individuals to deal commercially with Cuba. Sad as it is but it is not going to be a huge loss as Cuba is more of a baseball island.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bermudans face ban after failing drugs test

Three of Bermuda's squad who should have appeared in their side's Stanford Twenty20 campaign are facing lengthy bans after failing a drugs test.

More...

:laugh::lol:

(Didn't want to make a new thread here incidentally, so dug one that was hardly buzzing)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Cuba one disappointing as it would have provided more talent for the WI possibly. Think Bermuda should come under the WICB IMO. Saying that Bermuda is supposed to report to the WICB as are all cricket boards in the Western Hemisphere. So I've read. Not sure they do though. Maybe not competent enough but anyway probably for the best as the WICB would inhibit development.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cuba one disappointing as it would have provided more talent for the WI possibly. Think Bermuda should come under the WICB IMO. Saying that Bermuda is supposed to report to the WICB as are all cricket boards in the Western Hemisphere. So I've read. Not sure they do though. Maybe not competent enough but anyway probably for the best as the WICB would inhibit development.
I've thought that several times TBH. There's no way Bermuda have a cat-in-hell's chance of ever coming remotely close to being a Test-standard (or ODI-standard) team, the population of the entire island is smaller than a Toronto suburb. So why are they not part of West Indies?

Same thing as the Scotland\Ireland thing, of course.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I've thought that several times TBH. There's no way Bermuda have a cat-in-hell's chance of ever coming remotely close to being a Test-standard (or ODI-standard) team, the population of the entire island is smaller than a Toronto suburb. So why are they not part of West Indies?

Not the same thing.

HeathDavisSpeed

8-)

Not that old chestnut again Richard. What is your beef? Ireland is a seperate country, why should it be forced to combine with the UK? And besides, if NZ can have a test standard team, there's no reason Ireland couldn't with a bit of cash and support.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bermuda, Barbados and Jamaica are separate countries, too. West Indies has always tended to be West Indies, though. Likewise, the British Isles has tended to be called "England" too.

HeathDavisSpeed

Until Ireland became independant, maybe. There is no way in hell that Ireland would ever countenance being subsumed by team England. As for players making the move, that's their choice and they have to go through the same qualification procedures as any player from Azerbaijan or South Africa.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FFS, I've done this a million and one times. I'm not doing it again. AFAIC, there's no reason whatsoever debarring England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland from being a united cricket entity. Nor all islands of the Caribbean from falling under the umbrella of West Indies.

HeathDavisSpeed

FFS, I've done this a million and one times..
Yeah, and you've been right none of those times. The fact that none of the people that count give a toss for your opinion on this one and would never agree with it seems to matter little to you. On the same basis as yours, NZ and Aus could combine or Holland and Denmark could combine etc. etc. Its just a non-point. It'll never happen, so maybe you should think twice about suggesting it again.