• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 30 batsmen of the modern era (1990s -Current)

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the comparison at hand is between Smith & Sachin. When Smith has faced only 3 <25 averaging bowlers against Sachin's 20/21 what is there to even think about what you told?
You keep saying this but Smith's career has coincided with a period statistically more difficult for batting than Sachin's. You can try to come up with whatever manipulated stats you want to favour Sachin, but this isn't one of them.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
So you want to pick a peak period of his and run it against the other bloke's complete career, including when he started out batting eight or whatever? How is that a fair comparison?

I'm not saying it's wrong or ridiculous to put SRT > TPC. That's perfectly valid cos they're just great, great players and when they're that good you're splitting hairs to separate them imo. And if you want to use longevity as a factor, that's cool as well, but maybe just say it's an important factor in your reckoning, cos I don't think you need to select a shortened period of SRT's to make that point. It's like Lara vs Tendulkar, really hard to split them and how you weigh variables will count for a lot. But I think it's a bit unfair to pluck one fella's peak vs the other's full career to do it.

Then again, that's probably the difficulty with comparing someone who's retired with someone who's still playing.
again, when that peak period of 13607 runs is by far larger than Smith's total count of 7540, there is nothing wrong in selecting that peak for a comparison. Let us agree to disagree on this particular matter.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's not an easy period to bat at all. Smith's a run machine. He doesn't have a great rivalry against a great bowler though. That would be the icing on the cake.

sunilz

International Regular
It's not an easy period to bat at all. Smith's a run machine. He doesn't have a great rivalry against a great bowler though. That would be the icing on the cake.
Wagner ??
Bumrah , Rabada.
Cummins has got him out many times in IPL.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Maybe there are less <25 average bowlers around these days because of Smith.
no .....it is the other way around.... that is the in built nature of the game itself.... All that is required even for a high quality batsman is to get a single nasty delivery to put full stop to his inns.The more <25 averaging bowlers means 'the more frequent in general' you would have to cope with such nasty wicket taking deliveries . It is there that Sachin's 20/21 to Smith's mere 3 becomes a big factor as far as I am concerned,

sunilz

International Regular
Let's count number of sub-25 average bowlers Smith has faced:
Ashwin, Jadeja, Bumrah, Rabada, philander, Steyn, Abbas .
I can easily count 7.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
You keep saying this but Smith's career has coincided with a period statistically more difficult for batting than Sachin's. You can try to come up with whatever manipulated stats you want to favour Sachin, but this isn't one of them.
i don't think that is the case... Agreed that there have been normal share of low scoring matches in 2010 decade . But there has been huge scores scored as usual too. A casual 'going thru scorecards' of matches is enough to realize this.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its silly to compare a complete career against an incomplete one. I keep thinking of the various Hussey #2 to Bradman threads here. The chump is definitely playing in a bowler friendly era but remember, so was the 90s and Sachin rocked that one. I actually think conditions in Australia at least, were excellent for batting till 2015. That period in 2015 is kinda the watermark moment for me when batting became more difficult across the world, post that WC.

Having said all that, like I posted earlier, I definitely think Smith has firmed his place in the ATG list of batsmen. Now, it is just a question of where he ends up based on the rest of his career.

Burgey

Md Asif as well? I think they played one another but not 100% sure.

Pretty sure he faced Anderson with some cloud around too. Of course, that's balanced out by Jimmy being allergic to sunshine.

TheJediBrah

Its silly to compare a complete career against an incomplete one. I keep thinking of the various Hussey #2 to Bradman threads here. The chump is definitely playing in a bowler friendly era but remember, so was the 90s and Sachin rocked that one. I actually think conditions in Australia at least, were excellent for batting till 2015. That period in 2015 is kinda the watermark moment for me when batting became more difficult across the world, post that WC.
Definitely true. Peaking in 2015-16. But then Smith has averaged nearly 60 away as well so you can't really put anything down to home conditions helping him.

sunilz

International Regular
Tendulkar never had Smith like series ( Ashes 2019, 2017 BG trophy) in his entire career. So unless Smith has a huge form slump he is already ahead of everyone in modern era afaic

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Let's count number of sub-25 average bowlers Smith has faced:
Ashwin, Jadeja, Bumrah, Rabada, philander, Steyn, Abbas .
I can easily count 7.
I already told about the 3 Indian bowlers. W.R.T Abbas the only instance he played against Smith was this match

Literally Abbas was thrashed to oblivion even before a contest between the 2.

I would add Mohammed Asif to the list though. So 4 really .

srbhkshk

International Captain
Tendulkar never had Smith like series ( Ashes 2019, 2017 BG trophy) in his entire career. So unless Smith has a huge form slump he is already ahead of everyone in modern era afaic
Sachin never had Lara like series as well either - don't think that is enough to put Smith ahead of Sachin. What is though is Smith's insane consistency and runs all across the world in every condition against almost every bowler.

(Also this **** about Smith changing the bowling averages across the world should die an early death - A batsman averaging 60 with 8-10 teams playing tests is not at all comparable to someone averaging 100 while mostly playing against one side.)

TheJediBrah

I already told about the 3 Indian bowlers. W.R.T Abbas the only instance he played against Smith was this match

Literally Abbas was thrashed to oblivion even before a contest between the 2.

I would add Mohammed Asif to the list though. So 4 really .
You are not right about this. If you look up the averages per decade 2010s has had lower average scores than 2000s.

sunilz

International Regular
Sachin never had Lara like series as well either - don't think that is enough to put Smith ahead of Sachin. What is though is Smith's insane consistency and runs all across the world in every condition against almost every bowler.

(Also this **** about Smith changing the bowling averages across the world should die an early death - A batsman averaging 60 with 8-10 teams playing tests is not at all comparable to someone averaging 100 while mostly playing against one side.)
If Smith changes players bowling average, then rest of the Australian team makes sure that by the end of the series , the bowling average is even better.

Burgey

No, if you want to dispute the assertion, you need to undertake the statistical exercise and prove it isn't the case. Otherwise, people are entitled to assume there would be 12-15 <25 average bowlers around now, if not for Steve Smith. WAFG.