• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 30 batsmen of the modern era (1990s -Current)

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Any exercise that would put Steven Smith at 'number 1 by far' would have its flaws or sure . Yes he averages almost 62 but still has long way to go. It only took a Neil Wagner to expose him a lot. Ashwin supported by Indian bowlers in the last series confirmed it. I don't mind him at number 1. But by a long way that too from the likes of Lara & Kallis???? No way .

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
No. 1

Steven Smith - 164.4

Smith.jpg

Span: 2013-21
Peak: 2016-19
Longevity penalty: -12.2

Overall points: 172.7
Overseas points: 185.9
Best bowling attack points: 160.1
Peak points: 196.4

Runs: 7540
Average: 61.80

Most valuable series performances:
vs India, 2014, Home, Runs- 769, Avg- 128.16
vs South Africa, 2014, Away, Runs- 269, Avg- 67.25
vs India, 2017, Away, Runs- 499, Avg- 71.28
vs England, 2017 Home, Runs- 687, Avg- 137.40
vs England, 2019 Away, Runs- 774, Avg- 110.57

#Most valuable series are the ones that had the most impact on the total points earned.

Not the most elegant to watch but Smith is the perfect example of a runs machine. His unorthodox style leaves the bowlers confounded and the analysts scratching their heads trying to decode his technique. Scoring 700 plus runs a series multiple times with an average of more than 100 could make one wonder if this is fantasy cricket. No batsman has scored these many runs with such consistency in the last 30 years. Some people might question his spot at no.1 because of longevity but I am fairly sure it is only a matter of 2-3 years before he solidifies his place as one of the best. After factoring in the longevity penalty there is only a 2 points gap between him and Sachin. But even if you compare with the best 8 years of Sachin, he would still have him beat. Smith has the highest overall, overseas and peak points even if you consider only the best 8 years of all the batsmen.

Last edited:

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
No. 1

Steven Smith - 164.4

View attachment 28455

Span: 2013-21
Peak: 2016-19
Longevity penalty: -12.2

Overall points: 172.7
Overseas points: 185.9
Best bowling attack points: 160.1
Peak points: 196.4

Runs: 7540
Average: 61.80

Most valuable series performances:
vs India, 2014, Home, Runs- 769, Avg- 128.16
vs South Africa, 2014, Away, Runs- 269, Avg- 67.25
vs India, 2017, Away, Runs- 499, Avg- 71.28
vs England, 2017 Home, Runs- 687, Avg- 137.40
vs England, 2019 Away, Runs- 774, Avg- 110.57

#Most valuable series are the ones that had the most impact on the total points earned.

Not the most elegant to watch but Smith is the perfect example of a runs machine. His unorthodox style leaves the bowlers confounded and the analysts scratching their heads trying to decode his technique. Scoring 700 plus runs a series multiple times with an average of more than 100 could make one wonder if this is fantasy cricket. No batsman has scored these many runs with such consistency in the last 30 years. Some people might question his spot at no.1 because of longevity but I am fairly sure it is only a matter of 2-3 years before he solidifies his place. After factoring in the longevity penalty there is only a 2 points gap between him and Sachin. But even if you compare with the best 8 years of Sachin, he would still have him beat. Smith has the highest overall, overseas and peak points even if you consider only the best 8 years of all the batsmen.
seems you didn't take into account one of the most important factors ....bowling quality ... the likes of Sachin,Lara,Dravid Kallis,S.Waugh faced far more quality bowlers thru out their career. As I said, I don't mind Smith being the no:1 based on plain average, but this huge gap in points between him and the names I quoted don't make sense what so ever. For instance Lara has only 146 points where as Smith has 164...Simply makes no sense...

_00_deathscar

International Regular
seems you didn't take into account one of the most important factors ....bowling quality ... the likes of Sachin,Lara,Dravid Kallis,S.Waugh faced far more quality bowlers thru out their career. As I said, I don't mind Smith being the no:1 based on plain average, but this huge gap in points between him and the names I quoted don't make sense what so ever. For instance Lara has only 146 points where as Smith has 164...Simply makes no sense...
Isn't that what the "Best bowling attack points" measures?

_00_deathscar

International Regular
According to this methodology though there is almost zero chance Smith could end up #2, right?

He's got -12 longevity points at the moment which will only improve, even if his other stuff fades a bit it won't hurt him that much.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Isn't that what the "Best bowling attack points" measures?
agreed ..... but the weightage alloted to this factor seems relatively smaller .... it seems ...That is why there is a point difference of almost 18 between Smith & Lara as per this analysis, which I simply can't agree with. Lara ,Sachin .Kallis etc faced so many <25 bowlers for much longer periods and achieved their average. Smith lags convincingly in this factor.

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
According to this methodology though there is almost zero chance Smith could end up #2, right?

He's got -12 longevity points at the moment which will only improve, even if his other stuff fades a bit it won't hurt him that much.
Interesting question. I just did the math and for Smith to retain the spot he would have to score at least 127 points for the next 4-year period (2021-24). Which means a top 5-7 batsmen in that period. Seems like a cakewalk for a batsman who scored 160 & 190 in the previous 8 years, unless there is a major slump in his form.

sunilz

International Regular
Smith needs to have Tendulkar 2004-06 , Lara 1996-98 type form slump to make him comparable to Tendulkar/lara. Otherwise he has a clear decisive lead as of now.