• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI World Cup Draft

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Shaheen Shah Afridi

1.Sachin Tendulkar (7)
2.Travis Head (9)
3.Mark Waugh (8)
4.Greg Chappell * (6)
5.Charith Asalanka (10)
6.Heinrich Klaasen (WK)
7.Chris Cairns (5)
8.Andrew Flintoff (3)
9.Anil Kumble (4)
10.Shaheen Shah Afridi (2)
11.Allan Donald (1)
Cricinfo tells me Klaasen bowls offies, so make him no 11 bowler and let someone else keep for a bit.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Torn between George Bailey and Nicolas Pooran but will go for the former.

Alex Hales
Romesh Kaluwitharana (wk)
Jacques Kallis (3)
Viv Richards
George Bailey
Andrew Symonds
Ravindra Jadeja (5)
Simon O'Donnell (4)
Saqlain Mushtaq (6)
Waqar Younis (1)
Trent Boult (2)

wish we could maybe have had a slightly stronger batting lineup - ideally a keeper in middle order and then an elite opener but very happy with the bowling. 2 top ODI pacers in Waqar and Boult given plenty of solid backup in pace department by O'Donnell and Kallis. Jadeja's economy with the ball is very impressive - still goes at under 5 an over in this era of ODI cricket! Saqlain Mushtaq will almost always bowl his full quota for this side but would be looking to hold a lot of his overs back for the second half of the innings when he, Boult and Waqar can hopefully shut down the opposition innings.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Torn between George Bailey and Nicolas Pooran but will go for the former.

Alex Hales
Romesh Kaluwitharana (wk)
Jacques Kallis (3)
Viv Richards
George Bailey
Andrew Symonds
Ravindra Jadeja (5)
Simon O'Donnell (4)
Saqlain Mushtaq (6)
Waqar Younis (1)
Trent Boult (2)

wish we could maybe have had a slightly stronger batting lineup - ideally a keeper in middle order and then an elite opener but very happy with the bowling. 2 top ODI pacers in Waqar and Boult given plenty of solid backup in pace department by O'Donnell and Kallis. Jadeja's economy with the ball is very impressive - still goes at under 5 an over in this era of ODI cricket! Saqlain Mushtaq will almost always bowl his full quota for this side but would be looking to hold a lot of his overs back for the second half of the innings when he, Boult and Waqar can hopefully shut down the opposition innings.
Viv and Symonds are perfectly good 5th bowlers too.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I decided to pick an alternative XI for fun (still following the eligibility criteria, so the likes of Malinga, Hayden, Vaas, and Hogg from 2007 still missed out).

Desmond Haynes
Shubman Gill
Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
Ross Taylor
Roger Twose 7/Darren Lehmann 7
Justin Kemp 6
Abdul Razzaq/Heath Streak 3
Gavin Larsen 4
Graeme Swann 5
Darren Gough 2
Courtney Walsh 1

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
I decided to pick an alternative XI for fun (still following the eligibility criteria, so the likes of Malinga, Hayden, Vaas, and Hogg from 2007 still missed out).

Desmond Haynes
Shubman Gill
Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
Ross Taylor
Roger Twose 7/Darren Lehmann 7
Justin Kemp 6
Abdul Razzaq/Heath Streak 3
Gavin Larsen 4
Graeme Swann 5
Darren Gough 2
Courtney Walsh 1
The two players I was the most surprised of not getting picked are Ross Taylor and Kumar Sangakkara very comfortably. Had I known the outcome, I would hadn't gone for Bevan and Watson back then, retaining those cup years.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Names I've heard of but not seen or followed much myself (Twose/Fairbrother) their SRs seem decent factoring in the lower scoring eras of the past, what was their reputation like in terms of big hitting - Bailey who I recall as a reasonably quick scorer or Pooran appealed as with Symonds, Jadeja and O'Donnell from 6-8 and Kallis not renowned as the quickest of scorers I wanted someone who was capable of a good batting average but who could ensure that we maximised our overs - similar thought process with Hales/Kaluwitharana at the top of the order - combined with the lack of options - I did consider Gill but was intrigued as to how highly he'd be rated.

I suspect if this draft was a year or two later I'd go for Pooran but always feel like current players especially those with a lot of their career still to go can sometimes be hurt by the fact that their career trajectory could change. Pooran would be ideal as another keeping option and probably fits the mould of quick scoring batter that I wanted even more.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Names I've heard of but not seen or followed much myself (Twose/Fairbrother) their SRs seem decent factoring in the lower scoring eras of the past, what was their reputation like in terms of big hitting - Bailey who I recall as a reasonably quick scorer or Pooran appealed as with Symonds, Jadeja and O'Donnell from 6-8 and Kallis not renowned as the quickest of scorers I wanted someone who was capable of a good batting average but who could ensure that we maximised our overs - similar thought process with Hales/Kaluwitharana at the top of the order - combined with the lack of options - I did consider Gill but was intrigued as to how highly he'd be rated.

I suspect if this draft was a year or two later I'd go for Pooran but always feel like current players especially those with a lot of their career still to go can sometimes be hurt by the fact that their career trajectory could change. Pooran would be ideal as another keeping option and probably fits the mould of quick scoring batter that I wanted even more.
Twose was the bigger hitter while Fairbrother was quicker between wickets with pushing the ball into gaps.