• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How does one become a pace bowler? How risen up

Jumno

State 12th Man
I'd love to have seen Chris woakes how he risen up the ranks

What did he do when he was spotted and what did he do on his way up to get to the bears side?

Did he practice and practice till he got perfect in his back garden?

There are many factors however he might have done something physically or mentally

Gym work of course

From a child to his rise at club cricket before bears, what did he do?

How do you think he started

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
probably came through junior cricket - clubs, schools, etc. Some coach or scout identified his talent and got him a county contract and boom, all upwards from there.

I'm sure his wikipedia page has more details, and you can probably trace his scorecards back on cricket archive.

Jumno

State 12th Man
probably came through junior cricket - clubs, schools, etc. Some coach or scout identified his talent and got him a county contract and boom, all upwards from there.

I'm sure his wikipedia page has more details, and you can probably trace his scorecards back on cricket archive.
Ive checked and very vague details

You are right

He must've done something or something mentally to get spotted and rise through the club's in his backyard

Maybe intense practice and an obsession to be a cricketer at any cost

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

What did he do when he was spotted and what did he do on his way up to get to the bears side?

There are many factors however he might have done something physically or mentally

Gym work of course

You've got to try really hard and give it your best shot. If you do that you can be anything.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
IIRC Woakes spent many years being ignored by the England selectors because he wasn't considered quick enough. He went away and somehow added an extra couple of yards to his pace and at one point was hitting 90mph occasionally. No idea how he did that. I can't think of many other examples of pace bowlers who got quicker at that stage of their careers.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Virtually every fast bowler is born with that ability

A coach can straighten them out but he generally can’t teach them to bowl quick

Basically, you have it or you don’t

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
IIRC Woakes spent many years being ignored by the England selectors because he wasn't considered quick enough. He went away and somehow added an extra couple of yards to his pace and at one point was hitting 90mph occasionally. No idea how he did that. I can't think of many other examples of pace bowlers who got quicker at that stage of their careers.
Ryan Harris.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Gym work of course

He does have a pretty perfect back garden.