• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has Joe Root been under bowled this series?

Owzat

U19 Captain
Zaltzman came out with a stat during possibly the 2nd Test, just as it was becoming apparent how much of a pain in the Rs Khawaja was this series, it was pretty much that Root averages 32 against left handers - may well be more now, but considering that and the difficulty England have in dismissing said aussie you'd think he'd be bowling more

and given Ali's bowling 1st Test was only blistering in terms of his finger not his pace you'd have thought Root would have bowled more.

that said Ali's 9 overs for 40 runs where both sides struggled to post much over 250 might suggest spinners should have bowled less, especially given the theory of them tying up an end and resting bowlers was fairly redundant as the aussies were never going to be batting long enough for either to be required

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Who are these loads of Lyon's in the CC? We have an absolute dearth of English spinners right now.

I wonder what the future of spin bowling will be in the Bazball era? There aren't many good spinners in test cricket right now and the best are getting on a bit. I think England's willingness to smash any mediocre spinner to all parts is an element of Bazball that will be picked up by other sides. The only defense against it would be to prepare the types of wicket India have in recent years. Anything flat and the spinner is going out of the park.
I'm to this late. Re the original question about Root, I'm still pretty angry that he continued to bowl at Edgbaston in the final innings. As to smacking spinners, Australia decided to target an obviously finished Swann back in 2013/14 and their continued treatment of Moeen in 2017/18 and Leach in 2021/22 tells you that it isn't a new tactic, especially in Australia where finger spinners have not had any impact in eons. I was surprised to find out that Emburey, averaged low 30s over there and he was far from a big spinner of the ball.

As for spinners in the CC, it would bloody help if they weren't forced to make do with so much cricket played in April/May and September. I've been a critic of English international spin bowling for a long time, but my they aren't helped with the domestic game schedule.

Ali TT

International Debutant
I'm to this late. Re the original question about Root, I'm still pretty angry that he continued to bowl at Edgbaston in the final innings. As to smacking spinners, Australia decided to target an obviously finished Swann back in 2013/14 and their continued treatment of Moeen in 2017/18 and Leach in 2021/22 tells you that it isn't a new tactic, especially in Australia where finger spinners have not had any impact in eons. I was surprised to find out that Emburey, averaged low 30s over there and he was far from a big spinner of the ball.

As for spinners in the CC, it would bloody help if they weren't forced to make do with so much cricket played in April/May and September. I've been a critic of English international spin bowling for a long time, but my they aren't helped with the domestic game schedule.
Yeah agree that Bazball isn't the first example of a side targeting spinners but maybe now indicated it will be the default approach. After all, the Aussies didn't take on the Pakistani spinners in the series that preceding the one v England.

Agree about the CC too although the weather this summer hasn't been very conducive at any point. If anything, conditions probably more favourable in the spring compared to now!

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Yeah agree that Bazball isn't the first example of a side targeting spinners but maybe now indicated it will be the default approach. After all, the Aussies didn't take on the Pakistani spinners in the series that preceding the one v England.

Agree about the CC too although the weather this summer hasn't been very conducive at any point. If anything, conditions probably more favourable in the spring compared to now!
The likes of Moriarty and Virdi at Surrey, who at least showed some promise, if not necessarily that close to England selection, can’t get a game even at the Oval.Liam Patterson-White, whom the Notts fans on 247 spoke highly about last year doesn’t seem to have had success this year. Again though, if you play at a time where you will inordinately favour the nibblers, what can you expect.

91Jmay

International Coach
was definitely underbowled today
100% Wood bowling whilst on deaths door at Murphy instead of asking him to generate his own power against a spinner was poor, poor captaincy.

I get the Cummins risk as he bashed him at Edgbaston but obviously that also yielded a wicket chance.

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Root 2nd best spiner in both teams he's better than England other two spiners.

Root is All-Arounder player always has been.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
He's underbowled yes , a lot like Simon Katich was underbowled for Australia..I think Katich could have been a decent batting all rounder if he put his mind to it .