• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Following up on a request, top 10 greatest batsmen of all time in tests (not including the Don)

Slifer

International Captain
To follow up on the other thread, curious to see a new list of everyone's top 10 in tests not including the obvious #1....

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
In order

Viv
Hobbs
Tendulkar
Smith*
Lara
Headley
Sangakkara
Sobers
Gavaskar
Ponting
Sutcliffe

* likely to move higher by the end of his career

The first 9 were fairly straightforward but could’ve picked any of a dozen guys for #10

Slifer

International Captain
Mine:

Sachin
Viv
Sobers
Hobbs
Hutton
Lara
Chappell
Hammond
Gavaskar
Sanga

**Steve Smith imo should usurp most if not everyone above by the time he's done. Possibly Kohli (not as many) as well.

Chrish

International Debutant
Viv is the best batsman of post-uncovered era IMO. His statistical record isn’t the greatest and even has some glaring flows. However, the fact that he didn’t wear helmet despite most pace bowlers that time, especially Australian ones repeatedly tried to bounce him off and yet failed, puts him up there for me.

And in ODI Cricket, he was just so much ahead of his time that it boggles my mind!

Jack1

International Debutant
Viv is the best batsman of post-uncovered era IMO. His statistical record isn’t the greatest and even has some glaring flows. However, the fact that he didn’t wear helmet despite most pace bowlers that time, especially Australian ones repeatedly tried to bounce him off and yet failed, puts him up there for me.

And in ODI Cricket, he was just so much ahead of his time that it boggles my mind!
Best player possibly. Best batsman no.

Coronis

International Coach
Hobbs
Sobers
Tendulkar
Hammond
Headley
Lara
Chappell
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Sangakkara

Smith to boot Sanga out by career’s end, Williamson and Kohli both chances to also boot the openers.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Started watching cricket from around 89 or so.... Not gonna rank those who I did not watch, and off the top of my head...

Lara
Sachin
Miandad
Ponting
Aravinda De Silva
Martin Crowe
Steve Waugh
Sangakkara
Younis Khan
Pieterson

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
HB's a very good list for the timeframe in question, with only the omission of Border a stand out flaw in it.

Not wanting to derail the thread, but how many other sports would have polls of great players where you just consistently leave someone out because they're so far ahead of the rest? Thinking Gretzky in ice hockey maybe? Can't think of too many others across various sports, but happy to stand corrected.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
HB's a very good list for the timeframe in question, with only the omission of Border a stand out flaw in it.

Not wanting to derail the thread, but how many other sports would have polls of great players where you just consistently leave someone out because they're so far ahead of the rest? Thinking Gretzky in ice hockey maybe? Can't think of too many others across various sports, but happy to stand corrected.
TBF, I hardly saw him bat. Both him and Viv would be there for sure, but I hardly saw them bat live. And I felt it was fairest to limit to the guys I have watched as much as possible.

Burgey

Yeah, a more than reasonable approach if you're doing it that way tbh. There's some cracking choices in there. Good to see Aravinda get some love. Top player. Loved him. Crowe too, even if he fisted Aus to death with the bat in 85/86

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Sachin
Lara
Ponting
Miandad
Gilchrist
Kirsten
Aravinda De Silva
Steve Waugh
Pietersen
Jayasuriya

For me from those I have watched and have been retired now.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In order of batting position:

Hobbs
Hutton
Gavaskar
Viv
Sachin
Smith
Chappell
Lara
ABdV
Sobers

Flem274*

123/5
No real order yet

Hobbs
Gavaskar
Hammond
Smith
Tendulkar
Sobers
Lara
Viv
Miandad
Border

Openers who average 50 in the pro era and batsmen who average 50 in the 80s just don't happen much, so I rate Gavaskar, Border, Viv and Miandad higher than most.

Zinzan

Sobers
Hammond
Lara
Tendulkar
Hobbs
Viv
Headley
Hutton
Sangakkara
G Pollock

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
In order

Viv
Hobbs
Tendulkar
Smith*
Lara
Headley
Sangakkara
Sobers
Gavaskar
Ponting
Sutcliffe

* likely to move higher by the end of his career

The first 9 were fairly straightforward but could’ve picked any of a dozen guys for #10
How many were candidates for number 11? :tabletalk

Gob

International Coach
From what I have seen (post 96)

Tendulkar
Lara
Ponting
Kallis/Dravid/Sangakkara (still undecided)
YK
Clarke
Amla
Pietersen

Left out active players otherwise Smith would have appeared between Lara and Ponting and Kohli somewhere at the bottom

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
1.Sunil Gavaskar
2.Sobers
3.Sachin
4.Lara
5.Viv
6.Hutton
7.Hobbs
8.Pollock
9.Headley
10.Hammond