• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Field Placement Tips

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Alright, I'm the school's U/14 Captain, and lets be honest, I'm no Mark Taylor in the captaincy stakes. Batting order and such are already worked out, I'm just a bit stuck on some field placements.

The major problem is with one of our main spinners. Basically, he's a Leggie who gets plenty of bounce and turn, and rarely strays anywhere down leg side. The bounce gets chest-to-head high on most batsmen, so I'm thinking about a silly point/short leg for a dodgy backward defense.

The only other worry is whether to have 2 slips or a slip and a gully to start off. Theoretically, if I don't set a midwicket I could have 2 slips and a gully, but I don't know if I can trust my opening bowlers that much. One is just above medium pace with a touch of swing, the other a predominately straight-up-and-down fast man.

Thanks a lot guys

micoach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
You don't say what format of cricket you play so it's hard to say for sure.

Assuming you are playing some kind of time/declaration (not limited over) game I would go for slip, gulley and silly midwicket catching. Then 3 men in the covers, 2 in the ring on the leg side and someone out deep on the leg side for the slog.

Assuming the same for the opening bowler I would go for 2 slips and a gulley (no extra cover) if they bowl away swing, or one slip for inswingers.

More tips here: The complete guide to cricket field settings | Cricket coaching, fitness and tips

Jakester1288

International Regular
I was in the exact same position, captaining the schools U/14s team.

See my thread here for the advice I got.

1. This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 22 seconds.
1. This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 14 seconds.
1. This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 9 seconds.
1. This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.