• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Better Batsmen during Early years – Ricky Ponting vs Virat Kohli

Early Virat vs Early Ponting

• Total voters

Johan

State 12th Man
So we did aging years where Ponting easily won and now years of prime where Ponting still won but it was harder/a fair contest, now for their young years before their primes started.

Ricky Ponting (1995-2001) – 3182 runs in 83 innings at 44.19, 9 100s and 15 50s.

Virat Kohli (2011-2015) – 2994 runs in 72 innings at 44.03, 11 100s and 12 50s

(why do these two have the same career structure?)

Johan

State 12th Man
Can't think of any performance of Ponting in those years that was close to Virat's performance in the 2014/15 Border-Gavaskar trophy.
View attachment 41934
some of the greatest work I can think of Ponting from this time.

127 vs England on a proper seaming wicket where he came at 50-4

105 vs South Africa against Donald and Pollock in a very low scoring game.

197 vs Wasim/Waqar/Shoaib after coming at 54-4, match winning knock.

series wise he has the 1999 Sri Lanka series where he was amazing on a genuine rank turner against Murali.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I feel Kohli was more a fair bit more consistent in this phase their respective caeers, despite the averages being relatively close and all.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Does it includes Ponting's horror India tour? If yes, then Kohli. If no, Ponting may have the edge due to Kohli's horror English tour.

Johan

State 12th Man
Does it includes Ponting's horror India tour? If yes, then Kohli. If no, Ponting may have the edge due to Kohli's horror English tour.
I'll leave that question to the users, but who would win if we remove both the horror tours in your eyes

Silver Silva

International Regular
Indian cricket team was in transition period during Kohli's youth.

Dravid, Laxman, Tendulkar and Sehwag the big pillars of Indian batting would all retire between 2011-2014 and were already showing signs of decline when playing with Kohli
Dravid (11-12) - 1261 runs @48.50
Laxman (11-12) - 925 runs @37.00
Sehwag (11-13) - 916 runs @28.36
Tendulkar (11-13) - 1385 runs @35.62

So a lot of responsibility was placed on Kohli, Pujara and Rahane early doors.

With Ponting , you could argue that Australia was just getting better and better in his young days, a dream team for any talented bat to get used to international cricket with stars everywhere and experienced players in domestic cricket ready to slot in.

So I think because of more responsibility and a greater standout series performance I vote for Virat Kohli.

Last edited: