• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia 2023 vs England 2005

Which test team is better?

• Total voters

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Based on this series:

Tres
Khawaja
Smith
KP
Head
Flintoff
Carey (just)
Starc
Cummins
Jones
Hoggard

The WK position is a crap shoot so call it a draw.

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Australia 2023..

This series is only close because Australia out dated batting.

2005 England team wasn't a great team they was playing great team and caused upset win.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Australia 2023..

This series is only close because Australia out dated batting.

2005 England team wasn't a great team they was playing great team and caused upset win.
England had an excellent team in 2005. Spin was the only weak link and they could carry Giles because of Flintoff. Jones was still a half decent bat - that unravelled later.

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
England had an excellent team in 2005. Spin was the only weak link and they could carry Giles because of Flintoff. Jones was still a half decent bat - that unravelled later.
Of course I agree England was Excellent team in 2005 just not great in my opinion.

Australian was nowhere near their best in that series.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Of course I agree England was Excellent team in 2005 just not great in my opinion.

Australian was nowhere near their best in that series.
Australia had a great side. Gillespie fell away but most of those guys were legitimate world class cricketers in or close to their prime.

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Australia had a great side. Gillespie fell away but most of those guys were legitimate world class cricketers in or close to their prime.
Agreed however I was just saying Australia didn't play at their best during the series in 05.

Of course the Australia players was still close to their prime.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
That England team was congealing into a damn good test team. Defeated an ATG Aussie XI on the way. This Australia team is okay, but one feels that they need to pick a direction

chris.hinton

International Captain
Hang on

We beat Australia 2005 who have a lot of all time greats and one of the best teams in the history of sport. 2023 isn't anywhere close.

Australia 2023 struggled against Wood. Jones and Harmison are better so that would spell trouble already

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not sure Harmison was better than Wood tbf

He’d be much better managed if he was around now mind you so perhaps an unfair comparison

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Harmison didn't have that good an Ashes. Worst average of the four quicks, and besides the Lords first innings, he didn't do that much. His career was centred around that WI tour and duffing up Pakistan at home. He was the number one ranked bowler for a time, but otherwise, a lot of ordinary performances and his overall Test average was disappointing. Wood's gone the other way - started out pretty underwhelming and came good at the back end of his Test career.

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
2006 ashes shows how overrated England Team of 2005 is.

England only won 2005 ashes because McGrath got injured end of story.

England never-ending luck at home goes all way back to 2005...

Last edited:

Silver Silva

International Debutant
I feel it would be a close match up in England , a 3-2 swing for either side but it be like 3-1 or 4-1 in Australia between these sides hence I go with Australia..

Molehill

International Captain
I feel like certain Aussie players from 2023 are getting in on reputation rather than what they've done in this series. Smith, Head and Labuschagne are averaging 35, Cummins has been belted for nearly 38. Vaughan was only slightly less than that 35 and with him you get the best skipper.

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Australia 2023 are better overall compared to England 2005 but latter has higher peak that's where people are getting mixed up.

England 2005 higher peak
Australia 2023 Better overall team