• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2024 Olympic Games

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
The Paris Olympics will soon be upon us. What will you be most enjoying and what do you dislike?

ENJOY: Athletics - track events; Swimming - shorter events. Underdogs competing.

DISLIKE: Rhythmic gymnastics; Synchronised swimmimg; The nationalistic emphasis on medal tables.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really enjoyed the sport climbing last time around. Having never watched it before, the mix of the speed run as well as the technical aspects proved a great combination. My then 5-year-old really enjoyed it too - so I'm looking forward to watching some of the re-runs (due to time zone issues) with her this time around.

The gymnastics (not so much the dancy-bits) is always entertaining too. The combinations of strength, precision and flexibility from both male and female competitors is incredible.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really enjoyed the sport climbing last time around. Having never watched it before, the mix of the speed run as well as the technical aspects proved a great combination. My then 5-year-old really enjoyed it too - so I'm looking forward to watching some of the re-runs (due to time zone issues) with her this time around.
Yeah, the climbing was a real surprise package for me in Tokyo. Fair to say I wasn't overly in favour when I first heard it was being included, but it ended up being one of the events I most enjoyed watching.

Molehill

International Captain
I generally watch sports for which the Olympics are the pinnacle (ie not football, golf, tennis, etc) where GB have some decent medal contenders. We seem to have a really good set of athletes at the mo (Kerr, Hodgkinson) who I'll definitely not miss.

Can't stand gymnastics, volleyball or basketball, so won't go near those. The surprise fun one for me is always the BMX racing, it's like if Mario Kart was an Olympic event!!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Boxing's usually pretty good value, occasional blatant judging stitch up notwithstanding.

From a GB perspective it'll be interesting to see how the wonderfully named Delicious Orie goes in the (men's) Super Heavyweight division. We've medalled at the weight as often as not since the turn of the millennium: Harrison, Price, Joshua, Joyce & Clarke.

On the parochial front any sport that involves sitting down (preferably with one's arse in close proximity to water) is usually a bit of British medal banker too: rowing, sailing and cycling

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator

The gymnastics (not so much the dancy-bits) is always entertaining too. The combinations of strength, precision and flexibility from both male and female competitors is incredible.
I really enjoyed watching the climbing last time with my eldest as well (he also loved the swimming and diving - and learning all the nations' flags).

I think what I'm looking forward to most is watching random stuff with my kids and wife (who's not big on sports generally but loves the Olympics) and us all getting disproportionately invested in something we wouldn't usually care about.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I think what I'm looking forward to most is watching random stuff with my kids and wife (who's not big on sports generally but loves the Olympics) and us all getting disproportionately invested in something we wouldn't usually care about.
This is the great thing about the Olympics, isn't it. Especially with them taking part in our time zone, so we can easily watch lots of it live. On a personal level, having my son back from university to watch it with me as his tenancy expires at the end of June will be an added bonus.

Last edited:

Ali TT

International Regular
Britain's Katie Archibald, 2 time olympic cycling champion, is out of the games after interesting heels tripping over a garden step.

"I tripped over a step in the garden and managed to, somehow, dislocate my ankle; break my tibia and fibula; and rip two ligaments off the bone. What the heck," said Archibald.
:-O :-O

BoyBrumby

Englishman
****ing hell.

That's like taking an eye out, losing an ear and smashing your front teeth whilst combing your hair.