• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley" XI

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
Cricket isn't the type of sport typically associated with bulging biceps and barrel chests. But there are a few rather large specimens floating around the gentleman's game, many of whom could probably hold their own in the boxing ring as well as at the crease.

1. Matthew Hayden (Australia)
Queensland's yoga-practising, cookbook-writing opening batsman may not sound like the best choice for a side full of "scaries" but the left-hander is well over six foot and has forearms bigger than Muttiah Muralitharan's head. When he gets up from the "Supine Big Toe Pose" position, he's one big fellow.

2. Graeme Smith (South Africa)
The South African skipper can raise the hair on an opponent's neck with a simple stare, his hefty jaw methodically chewing yet another stick of gum (that man must have shares!) as he squints towards the batsman like a schoolboy bully looking to add a few more bucks to his lunch-money collection. Damn bullies...

3. Inzamam-ul-Haq (Pakistan)
Perhaps more of a heavyweight than an outright monster, Inzi nevertheless has the ability bulldoze an opponent's confidence with little pretension but plenty of power. And with bat in hand, the level of intimidation is taken up a notch or two, as a spectator who dared call him "Potato Head" once found out...

4. Chris Cairns (New Zealand)
Despite his Starsky & Hutch hairstyle, the Kiwi with the swagger is quite plainly a powerhouse. Not too many people would dare ridicule his sideburns for fear of being crushed.

5. Andrew Symonds (Australia)
Dreadlocks blowing in the wind, one can just imagine the hulking all-rounder hunting wild boar in the Queensland outback with nothing more than his bare hands and a pack of dogs. Yes, this is what the (very) big-hitting all-rounder does for "relaxation". Say no more...

6. Andrew Flintoff (England)
Freddie is quite simply a big bloke. Standing at 6' 4'' and either banging the ball into the pitch when bowling or banging it over the boundary with the bat, the England star is the type no one in a Lancashire pub would dare square up to. Mess with this man at your peril.

7. Justin Kemp (South Africa)
Another South African whose physique has no doubt benefited from copious amounts of "braaied" beef throughout childhood, Kemp is at his most demoralizing with willow in hand.

8. Mahendra Singh Dhoni (India)
This was a tough one since most current international wicketkeepers would be dwarfed by members of this side. But we had to pick someone and Dhoni is far scarier than Geraint Jones...

9. Shoaib Akhtar (Pakistan)
Admittedly, his intimidation-factor is boosted by a blistering run-up and searing pace but there is something a bit more frightening about the Rawalpindi Express than Australia's blond-haired equivalent. Perhaps it has something to do with those bulging eyes, mop of pitch-black hair and general disregard for authority.

10. Andre Nel (South Africa)
The Behemoth from Benoni (well close enough, Germiston is just around the corner) has the rare gift of being able to beat batsmen into submission with nothing more than the often-ridiculous look on his face. Beaten by fear or fits of giggles?

11. Steve Harmison (England)
The quiet England fast bowler is one of the tallest players on the international scene. The mere fact that most would require a step-ladder to look him square in the eyes is reason enough for his inclusion. But he has to keep the beard because without it, well, he'd look like a skinny 12-year-old on stilts.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Nice one jack_sparrow! I agree mostly but if he hadn't retired I'd definately have Ridley Jacobs as your keeper.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Using today's current players?

1. Matthew Hayden
2. Graeme Smith
3. Inzamam Ul Haq
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Andrew Symonds
6. Andrew Flintoff
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Brett Lee
9. Shoaib Akhtar
10. Andre Nel (he's a total loon)
11. Stephem Harmison

If I were doing an all-time list.

1. Douglas Jadine
If you have the greatest player of all time on your list - he's got the answer. He'd go in my captain.

2. Matthew Hayden
Meh I think he'll be remembered when people see his 380 and they'll be told he was a beast.

3. Sir Issac Vivian Alexander Richards
Last batsman you wanted to bowl to. Merv Hughes said he felt he needed a helmet bowling to him.

4. Ian Chappell
He'd be my vice-captain and he'd tell his bowlers to aim at the body too. Sort of the guy to say "a weakness in character is no different to a weakness in technique." He said it a lot and a lot of guys got hurt because of it.

5. Adam Gilchrist
Might as well pick the fastest run scorer in test history.

6. Graeme Pollock
Why not pick somebody who hated running and got nearly all his runs in fours?

7. John Snow
You need somebody to start bullying somebody in the crowd when things get heated to protect your team. Always ready to beat up a drunk.

8. Frank Tyson
A typhoon's a comin'.

9. Harold Larwood
Bodyline anybody?

10. Michael Holding
Don't let the nice-guy commentater vibe deceive you, he loved hitting batsmen.

11. Jeff Thompson
Jeff once admitted he enjoyed hurting batsman more than he did dismissing them.

12th man: Keith Miller

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
jack_sparrow said:
3. Inzamam-ul-Haq (Pakistan)
Perhaps more of a heavyweight than an outright monster, Inzi nevertheless has the ability bulldoze an opponent's confidence with little pretension but plenty of power. And with bat in hand, the level of intimidation is taken up a notch or two, as a spectator who dared call him "Potato Head" once found out...

He wouldnt fit down a dark alley8-)

open365

International Vice-Captain
Steve Harmison????

I was more scared of Stuart Little....

I'd be really scared of seeing Cliv Lloyd dwon a dark alley,

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
You could certainly chuck Merv Hughes in there. Jacob Oram when he had his head shaved.

Also, if you were a kid from Wellington with a camera, put Shane Warne down.

C_C

International Captain
1. Shiv Chanderpaul - shot a policeman once ( mistook him for a burglar breaking into his house). That is pretty good reason not to mess with the guy,his size notwithstanding

2. Justin Langer - black belt in some martial art. Need i say more ?

3. Viv Richards - the classic 'bully' vibe. Built like a brick sh*thouse too!

4. Matty Hayden - modern day version of Viv as far as physical presence goes, even if slightly watered down by comparison

5. Curtley Ambrose. That Steve-Curtley episode was enough for me to determine 'dont p*ss this guy off'

6. Javed Miandad - charged Lillee with a bat...also charged someone else i think. Srappers are the worst lot to get into a fight with from my experience. They just dont know how to stay down.

7. Roy Gillchrist - one of the fastest bowlers ever who enjoyed conking batsmen. Need i say more ? He made Holding and Thommo look like monks by comparison ( or that is the impression i get from reading about this man)

8. John Snow - reason already stated in the thread before

9. Clive Lloyd - i've not seen a more powerful looking guy on a cricket-field. Seems like Mike Tyson on valium....now if he forgot his valium....

10. Franklyn Rose - call it a gut feel but i would rather try taking out the entire Busta Rhymes gang and SnoopDog before i messed with this guy. Have some rather interesting stories about him.

11. Brian McMillan - gentle guy but i would put money on him lasting atleast 5 rounds with Tyson in a ring (provided Tyson is sufficiently fed before he takes to the ring)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brian Lara kicked down a chair in the T&T dressing room after getting out against Barbados.

He gained street cred.

Brian Lara apologized to the public on the PA system first thing the following morning.

He lost street cred.

Point? Not sure. There's a moral involving a chair somewhere in here though.