• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*OFFICIAL* England in Pakistan 2024

PaulLennon

U19 Cricketer
They have done it before and will do so again, Political instability has always been a problem for decades
Yeah but not at this level. They would alternate between periods of military dictatorship with a decent economy and periods of haphazard democracy with a poor economy. Now the economy's completely stalled, the military is vastly unpopular, secessionist movements are springing up.

Plus cricket has become more professional and the rest of the world has moved on.

PaulLennon

U19 Cricketer
interesting take but you might be right. it doesn't help that none of the bowlers are bowling much in domestic first class cricket either. look at Naseem's recent matches. No domestic bowling in sight. has he jus come back from injury or something?
Had an injury against India in the Asia Cup last year. Missed around 5-6 months. Has lost a yard of pace post return.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Very interesting to see Australia near the bottom in this regard. That can't have been too common historically.

Have not enough Tests been played in South Africa since lockdown?
Huh. I stuck a 10 match filter on to exclude small samples in places like Ireland and didn't even notice I'd excluded SA. 9 matches, average 23 ftr.

FBU

International Debutant
I guess if Stokes come back for the 2nd Test it'll be Woakes to miss out. Carse could have had a hatful this match.
Woakes hasn't improved his overseas record, in Asia 52.87.

I wonder if Stokes only comes back if he can bowl. Lots of bowling practice off the pitch. I can't see him coming back with no bowling, who would they drop?

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
For Pakistan this was the mega version of the 2016 Boxing Day MCG Test.

Actually I'd argue 2016 was worse because batting for a draw was much more viable than it was here.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
The really amazing thing about England's innings was I don't think they were particularly high-risk or ultra-aggeessive for most of it.

Brook & Root were fairly sedate in the last hour or so of Day 4 by current England standards; indeed Root was restricted in terms of aggressive running and shot-making because of cramp/exhaustion late on Day 3 & his Day 4 segment.

Quite amusing that after all his struggles batting there, because of Duckett's injury Root's highest Test score is now batting at 3.

Reactions: FBU
He's in his Purple era, he can bat anywhere ATM, wouldn't hate him opening, if Crawley or Duckett was out.
Effectively opened this Test, his record in the top 3 actually isn’t bad, there was a Wisden list of England’s best openers since Strauss and Cook a few years ago and Root was top, justifiably so with an average north of 40 (his average at #3 has crept north of 40 now too)

Silver Silva

International Regular
The really amazing thing about England's innings was I don't think they were particularly high-risk or ultra-aggeessive for most of it.

Brook & Root were fairly sedate in the last hour or so of Day 4 by current England standards; indeed Root was restricted in terms of aggressive running and shot-making because of cramp/exhaustion late on Day 3 & his Day 4 segment.

Quite amusing that after all his struggles batting there, because of Duckett's injury Root's highest Test score is now batting at 3.
On day 4 they scored 331 runs in 49 overs

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Pakistan should make a raging Turner next game. Drop Abrar as he is a below average spinner.

Bring Sajid Khan the off spinner and Noman Ali. Mohammad Nawaz over Shaheen.

Tayyab Tahir and Kamran Ghulam in middle order. Both good players of spin by current Pakistani standards.