• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to India in Australia 2024-25

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a good thing if it forces them to do that. IMO one of the downfalls for Aus in some recent long Test summers has been the refusal to rotate bowlers and keeping the same 3 playing every game, and being ****ed by the end of the summer, unable to bowl out sides in the 4th innings
There won't be any rotation except for injury. It's something we don't do except occasionally in England. Last summer was a great chance to rest one* of the big three and debut someone else against nominally easier opposition. Bowlers* getting fatigued is risk through a big series. Debuting someone against a tough opponent - and the current India side is the toughest opponent we'll face at home - is risky. And as fun as his series against England was I'm not entirely sure 35 year-old Scott Boland is the answer (though worthwhile if the pitches are grassy). Unfortunately we don't have much idea of our depth because we never test it, and some of the anointed options have injury struggles.

*by this I mean Starc

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
@Burgey what's your opinion of this?
It's ****ing woeful. Look, if someone is dying I get it, but this habit players have of missing playing for their country for the birth of a child is pathetic.

"Dad, you had a great career and India did really well overall, but what happened in that 24/25 series?"
"Well kiddo, I let down 1.4 billion people and dgaf if my nation lost, because I wanted to watch your mum do all the ****ing work from an armchair in the hospital ward as you were born, something which you, of course, have absolutely no memory of, would never have even thought about and certainly not have held against me like an entitled brat if I'd not been there and instead did my country proud."

**** should resign. Cummns too if he misses a test when his next kid is due.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Absolutely. Somehow the kid never arrives during IPL either. Plan better ffs.
I'd somehow never thought about it but it is honestly truly bizarre that they don't plan this out better so this doesn't keep happening during tours. It's not like the FTP is some mystery and the fact of this tour has somehow snuck up on everyone in the last few months, or that pregnancy duration is, like, dice-rolled or something.

Qlder

International Debutant
Meanwhile some Aussie Test players have had some useful red ball practice in the 4-day Shield

Khawaja - 31 & 64*
Labuschagne - 77 & 35* (2/5)
Head - 30 & 10 (0/17)
Marsh - 13 & 94
Carey - 90 & 111 (3c/1st)
Lyon - 5/47 & 3/94

The NSW players Smith, Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood needed some rest

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of my worries with Harris is that even if he does okay with the bat, he'll put down some crucial catch. Australia's collective fielding has not been up to normal standards over the past two years and I don't see him making it better.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'd somehow never thought about it but it is honestly truly bizarre that they don't plan this out better so this doesn't keep happening during tours. It's not like the FTP is some mystery and the fact of this tour has somehow snuck up on everyone in the last few months, or that pregnancy duration is, like, dice-rolled or something.
TBF, the Virat instance happened when we were all in lockdown most likely. And nobody knew when, if any, cricket would resume. I suppose with Rohit, given the age of his first kid, it may have been something that worked now after some tries. Honestly, I am uncomfortable trying to pass judgement on personal stuff like this. Its their call and we should respect that always, IMO. It sounds pretty disrespectful to start thinking about when someone can plan a family. I can say that from personal experience that its one of the worst things you can do to anyone.

I just find it funny that the posters who spewed absolute unadulterated (and completely unfair) venom at Virat are hardly saying anything now. :laugh: