• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia limited overs tour of Scotland and England 2024

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, he’s actually a pretty good bowler

I rate him far more highly than someone like Maxy but maybe the feeling is that he’s better as a random part timer than a consistent member of the attack

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's a ridciulously mercurial cricketer. Rocks and diamonds but just seems to make **** happen a lot of the time.
When Lyon can't play just use Head as a spinner. No need to **** around and waste a spot with Murphy, Kuhnemann or Swepson. Especially if it's not a big spinners wicket

Semi srs

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, he’s actually a pretty good bowler

I rate him far more highly than someone like Maxy but maybe the feeling is that he’s better as a random part timer than a consistent member of the attack
He's kind of abnormal for a part time offie in that he bowls legitimately good, dangerous deliveries on an attacking line. He's obviously quite loose as a result, but he's definitely not your regular trundler who just darts the ball in at middle stump and tries to race through an over. Bloke actually tries to get some poles.

Spark

Global Moderator
Meanwhile I'm not totally convinced by Short at this level still. He played very well last night and deserves more opportunities but he just looks a bit limited to me; the cover drive on the up is just a core bread and butter shot for a top order bat in white ball at this level and it looks totally unnatural for him, almost Dhoniesque, and he still looks at sea against spin. A pretty easy player to plan for I think.

social

He's kind of abnormal for a part time offie in that he bowls legitimately good, dangerous deliveries on an attacking line. He's obviously quite loose as a result, but he's definitely not your regular trundler who just darts the ball in at middle stump and tries to race through an over. Bloke actually tries to get some poles.
Australia obviously has a good attack but I think he’s under-utilised at times

For example, Marnus bowls more than he does

social

Meanwhile I'm not totally convinced by Short at this level still. He played very well last night and deserves more opportunities but he just looks a bit limited to me; the cover drive on the up is just a core bread and butter shot for a top order bat in white ball at this level and it looks totally unnatural for him, almost Dhoniesque, and he still looks at sea against spin. A pretty easy player to plan for I think.
Doesn’t use his feet much from what I have seen & just plays from the crease

Stay off his legs and hip area and he’s pretty limited

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I have to admit it did cross my mind. Obviously you want him to get better very soon.

He did finally had the breakthrough innings at 4 against nz aswell but an Aus batting line with Bancroft opening and Smith at 4 looks far more stable on paper at least
Stable for now, but binning off the best young batsmen in the country after he's just made a position his own to accommodate a declining Smith is silly. Smith looked horribly out of touch last summer before he moved to opening yo address that. If he's past his best we shouldn't be ****ing around a guy who could bat 4 for the next 10 years.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Stable for now, but binning off the best young batsmen in the country after he's just made a position his own to accommodate a declining Smith is silly. Smith looked horribly out of touch last summer before he moved to opening yo address that. If he's past his best we shouldn't be ****ing around a guy who could bat 4 for the next 10 years.
Smith can bat 5 while Head can open. A direct swap.

Qlder

International Debutant
Surprised more hasn't been said about Potts changing a boot in the middle of 19th over. He apparently wasted 3 minutes and England only bowled 4 balls more than minimum for a game. Maybe he should have changed both boots 😆

Molehill

International Captain
It was a flat pitch with short boundaries on the sides. No surprise that both Short and Salt looked ok on this, but I don't think either should really have International futures. Short was also badly dropped by Rashid (if it hadn't been windy I suspect he'd have caught it) before he'd got out of the 20's too. Jacks has probably moved ahead of Salt in the bid to open with Duckett when others are fit, although you could make a case for Buttler doing it and Smith staying in the team.

Not sure what we really learnt from this series. England still can't bat with common sense when they're going well, getting bowled out by part time spinners once is careless, twice is criminal. Bethell at 7 seemed a strange selection, was it the ECB trying to justify the Hundred? Curran would've been far more useful.

As for Aus, the concern for what comes after Starc/Hazlewood/Cummins remains. They're either brittle or not very good, but it seems a huge drop off in quality. Starc seemed to hardly care about this series anyway (not the only one), I guess saving himself for the BGT.

TheJediBrah

Definitely not wrong about quicks being fragile but other than Abbott we didn't really see Australia's pace back up this series though, did we? They played Hardie as a bowler for some reason (guess he did ok) and relied on a lot of overs from all rounders like Green.

They're mostly in Australia playing domestics instead of on this tour

TheJediBrah

Who could've come instead? I thought it a bit odd that Starc and Hazlewood made the trip. Hazlewood generally bowled well, Starc generally didn't.
Tbf a lot of them actually are injured. Bartlett, Ellis, Meredith and I think Spencer Johnson. But behrendorff, Neser, Lance morris and jhye Richardson all seem to be playing. Then there are still plenty of others who would be ahead of the likes of Dwarshuis who was in the squad like Sutherland and I would like to think Boland. Though he doesn't seem to be on the white ball radar for selectors

Molehill

International Captain
Tbf a lot of them actually are injured. Bartlett, Ellis, Meredith and I think Spencer Johnson. But behrendorff, Neser, Lance morris and jhye Richardson all seem to be playing. Then there are still plenty of others who would be ahead of the likes of Dwarshuis who was in the squad like Sutherland and I would like to think Boland. Though he doesn't seem to be on the white ball radar for selectors
Those 3 were in England anyway so would've been obvious selections. Didn't Bartlett get injured in Scotland? Behrendorff must be past it now.

Burgey

Yeah Bartlett got hurt over there, and iirc Johnson might have got hurt too, but not sure. I think they've probably looked past 'dorf these days, though he should probably have still been picked even as cover over someone like that kid they brought in as a shadow player.

Likewise Neser - pretty stiff not to get a gig in a series like this as a bowling all rounder.