• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia limited overs tour of Scotland and England 2024

Molehill

International Captain
Interesting one from Inglis there who pulled away from a delivery after it had seemingly left the bowler's hand (the one delivered by Watt from well behind the crease).

I'm not sure why it's not given out really.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
This innings defies all logic ..

Imagine a no.5 walking in the 8th over , usually that's trouble in a 150 chase but Australia just need 18 lol

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Look, if Ben Duckett and Zac Crawley can open in test matches, there's no reason Travis Head can't go in and slog a few too.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Pretty much most of the opinion says it should have been out.
Inglis / Australia are, if nothing else, guilty of not doing their homework. Watt often does this, they should have been expecting it from time to time.
In the video Inglis appears to be ready, then someone posted a still when he looked down again and then walked away. He appears to be ready, but then takes clearly isn't ready for the ball that Watt delivers.
Any umpire will tell you the ball is in play once the bowler starts his run up. Thought the Aussies played by the rules.

the big bambino

International Captain
Inglis / Australia are, if nothing else, guilty of not doing their homework. Watt often does this, they should have been expecting it from time to time.
In the video Inglis appears to be ready, then someone posted a still when he looked down again and then walked away. He appears to be ready, but then takes clearly isn't ready for the ball that Watt delivers.
Any umpire will tell you the ball is in play once the bowler starts his run up. Thought the Aussies played by the rules.
did the umpire give it out?

TheJediBrah

I'm 50/50 on it. It's a legal tactic as far as I know, but the law does state that the umpire should call it a dead ball if the batsman is not ready. Which is kind of subjective. The batsman sets up mentally, and with trigger movements and backlift to prepare for the ball coming from around the crease, not a couple of metres behind it. So there's an argument that if the batsman says they're not ready (ie pulls away) before the point where the bowler would have been at the bowling crease it should be a no-ball.

In the end I would say they got this right. It should take be a no-ball, but if the batsman pulls away straight away then dead ball is the right call.

TheJediBrah

Nope, called it dead ball. It wasn't going to change the result, but I'm struggling to see how it's not out when Inglis is clearly looking set and at the bowler at the point of delivery.
As I said above, just because the batsman is looking up doesn't mean they're ready