• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne vs Steyn (Test bowling)

Greater Test bowler?

• Dale Steyn

• Shane Warne

Results are only viewable after voting.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Warne getting that votes in that Wisden pole was far from the only only farcical thing, but it was probably the most farcical.

That said, I did just vote Warne in at number 2 on the voting thread, so I think he's earned some respect since.
I'm still waiting for Steyn to consistently get the respect he deserves, even after 5 years since his last Test. Although he's gone up in reference to Ambrose, he's the one out of the top 5 pacers, most often to get left out, when his record simply can not justify that.

subshakerz

International Coach
I'm still waiting for Steyn to consistently get the respect he deserves, even after 5 years since his last Test. Although he's gone up in reference to Ambrose, he's the one out of the top 5 pacers, most often to get left out, when his record simply can not justify that.
His record isnt really qualitatively different than Imran's. The only reason he gets ranked ahead of him is the whole 'succeeded in a flat era' silly argument.

Bolo.

International Captain
We just voted him in as the 4th best quick. Seems fair enough to me.

And if he loses out to a top 2 spinner in this pole, also fair enough.

Sunil1z

International Regular
I am copying someone’s quote and modifying it .

In next 50 years , there might be 5 another Steyn but there would be 0 Warne .

subshakerz

International Coach
What you are saying is right . But I believe Warne or Murali are the only 2 spinners in last 50 years which are undoubtedly considered ATG . So , I am giving them preference like people give benefit to openers here .
It's not the same. Openers get benefit for facing tougher conditions than other batsmen.

Coronis

International Coach
Sorry but Steyn not getting the respect he deserves is absolutely preposterous. That's a bit like suggesting The Rolling Stones are underrated.
tbf, they are by kids these days. Asked a co-worker if they liked them and they’d never heard of them. They’re 19, but still, very sad day for me.

Coronis

International Coach
No , it isn’t .
Pak could somewhat neutralise Steyn on flat wickets in UAE . They couldn’t do the same to Warne .
Same for England as well .
Warne/Murali are more valuable than Steyn/Ambrose .
What about India for Warne compared with Steyn?

ma1978

International Debutant
I had a post earlier about whether Steyn was the greatest bowler of all time. There is a case for this.

But the argument that he is unequivocally better than Warne is ridiculous. There are probably more people who consider Warne the GOAT than any other bowler.

I could make a strong argument for either