• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ domestic season 2023/24

Flem274*

123/5
I don't really get the attraction. He's spent years being entirely mid but on the radar because he can just touch 150kph when it all clicks.

He can (and has managed to) bowl test standard spells, but I've seen very little to suggest he can consistently bowl test standard spells every day.

Given how controversial he is, he seems a strange player for the very cautious and risk averse coach and CEO to back. Kuggeleijn isn't in the talent bracket of the quartet. He's much closer to Doug Bracewell and Jacob Duffy than he is Matt Henry and Lockie Ferguson.

I think this about Tickner too, minus the controversy. Tickner isn't even the best bowler (Bracewell) or have the highest ceiling (Milne until he betrayed us) in his own team. Tickner seems a good dude tho. I hope he goes well.

If they wanted pace then they should have invested in Ferguson before he got crocked and they should be investing in Sears and potentially Fisher if he has put some zip on.

ataraxia

International Coach
I think this about Tickner too, minus the controversy. Tickner isn't even the best bowler (Bracewell) or have the highest ceiling (Milne until he betrayed us) in his own team. Tickner seems a good dude tho. I hope he goes well.
He still doesn't actually make the CD team imo

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting that Wagner hasn't gotten a game since round 1. Not surprising given ND's bowling stocks, but surely that has to be it for the great man. I can't imagine even Gary Stead picking a player for the national side who can't make the starting XI for his province, especially with KJ fit and Boult potentially available for selection. Hopefully Wagner gets a few opportunities to say goodbye to the fans during the Super Smash this season.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All this talk of who's going to be selected for the Black Caps this Test Summer misses the fact there's been a pretty big change in the group of selectors. Sam Wells is in there now to replace Gavin Larsen and whilst Stead still pulls the strings, Wells is likely to be a bit different from Larsen. Hopefully he can see the folly in selecting an aging all-rounder who has a tendency to get pasted when it doesn't go well, particularly when there's a host of other options who don't have the baggage that he does.

Once upon a time, a long time ago, I registered for Twitter. I have no idea why, but the only account I ever followed was - bizarrely - Sam Wells. I have high hopes for no reason that I can remember.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Interesting that Wagner hasn't gotten a game since round 1. Not surprising given ND's bowling stocks, but surely that has to be it for the great man. I can't imagine even Gary Stead picking a player for the national side who can't make the starting XI for his province, especially with KJ fit and Boult potentially available for selection. Hopefully Wagner gets a few opportunities to say goodbye to the fans during the Super Smash this season.
I think it's an injury that's kept him out, in the Plunket Shield game he played he didn't bowl in the second innings, or bat in ND's only innings.

Howsie

International Captain
I’m pretty sure he’s injured but even then after watching some of the first round at the ground he was clearly the weak link.

Howsie

International Captain
I don't really get the attraction. He's spent years being entirely mid but on the radar because he can just touch 150kph when it all clicks.

He can (and has managed to) bowl test standard spells, but I've seen very little to suggest he can consistently bowl test standard spells every day.

Given how controversial he is, he seems a strange player for the very cautious and risk averse coach and CEO to back. Kuggeleijn isn't in the talent bracket of the quartet. He's much closer to Doug Bracewell and Jacob Duffy than he is Matt Henry and Lockie Ferguson.

If they wanted pace then they should have invested in Ferguson before he got crocked and they should be investing in Sears and potentially Fisher if he has put some zip on.
30 odd first class wickets in his last 5 games, two of which were against Australia A. He’ll be there doing the Wagner roll

Immenso

Another pair for McLachlan. Is that 3 pairs in 10 matches?
Watching the livestream. His 3 ball duck, he was almost out on each of the first 2 balls as well. To go with his golden duck in first innings. Not a pretty match with the bat ...

But I don't know where you are getting that 3 pairs in 10 games stat from? His last 10 matches according to cricinfo are pretty impressive. Until this one. Unless he packed the pairs into games that have 'fallen off' the cricinfo last 10.

Confusing him with Lachie John's, maybe? Who had a horror run with bat before Mclachlan replaced him?

Last edited:

Immenso

Back on the Kristian Clarke more pace topic.

I saw one of kippax's videos from the U19s. When Clarke was quite gentle-pace and effortless through the crease.

This is the Clarke I had in my head. He is much faster and more vigorous action since then. But, already was thus last season judging by video from then.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But I don't know where you are getting that 3 pairs in 10 games stat from? His last 10 matches according to cricinfo are pretty impressive. Until this one. Unless he packed the pairs into games that have 'fallen off' the cricinfo last 10.
His debut FC game was 2 golden ducks, as I recall.

EDIT: https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...s-canterbury-6th-match-1280003/full-scorecard

And his 3rd FC innings was also a duck. That's why I think I remember him scoring ducks. Had a start to FC cricket marginally better than Gooch/Atapattu in Test cricket. Must have just stuck in my head.

But yes, he has overall an okay record - better than Robinson or Greenwood. Must be a bit of a dodgy starter.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Great to see all three matches well set up for interesting final days. Though rain might ruin Otago vs CD.

Athlai

Not Terrible
McLachlan's FC career

0(1) (bowled) - 0(1) (stumping)
0 (7) - 25 (56)
40* (70) - 56 (105)
27* (33) - 13(12)
73 (117) - 3 (29)
5 (18) - 9 (18)
100 (118) - 24(40)
49 (116) - 8(24)
0(1) - 0(3)