• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of UAE and England 2023

thundaboult

International Debutant
Still believe our nz boys will all turn it on come the wc. We are a tournament team in the bigger picture and have been getting better at winning the knock out games as well over the last 8 years.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Ohh it's a fantastic headache to have. I still think Roy's good enough to walk into alot of sides in the world (NZ, SA maybe?, pak, sl, bang, etc). Only sides he doesn't contest an opening spot in are AUS and IND off the top of my head.
Not sure about Pakistan. Imam Ul Haq and Faqar Zaman are pretty good.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure about Pakistan. Imam Ul Haq and Faqar Zaman are pretty good.
Fakhar is good but he's had a bit of a rough patch recently, hasn't looked like making a run all asia cup. Both him and roy are boom or bust, but roy does that at a higher SR and a similiar average, which I think PAK would value more given that babar and especially iman tend to score a bit slower.

Edit: I've just realized i've confused roy and bairstow a bit. Thought roy averaged closer to 45 like bairstow but he only averages 40. 40 @105 is still good, but it's a lot more comparable to 46 @92 then ~45 @105. Think my point still stands though.

Last edited:

Ali TT

International Regular
Fakhar is good but he's had a bit of a rough patch recently, hasn't looked like making a run all asia cup. Both him and roy are boom or bust, but roy does that at a higher SR and a similiar average, which I think PAK would value more given that babar and especially iman tend to score a bit slower.

Edit: I've just realized i've confused roy and bairstow a bit. Thought roy averaged closer to 45 like bairstow but he only averages 40. 40 @105 is still good, but it's a lot more comparable to 46 @92 then ~45 @105. Think my point still stands though.
You're probably the first person I've seen overrate Roy. For a world cup winner with 12 ODI centuries and an average of 40 at better than a run a ball, he's derided far too much.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
Jason Roy is one of those enigma players where nobody has ever seen him score runs, but apparently he has a good record.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Roy is quality. Have seen him get eng off to so many fliers. Baistow and hales too. The way he took to starc in the 19 semi is brilliant to watch.

kevinw

International 12th Man
Roy and Bairstow are legit two one of the greatest openers ever in ODI cricket. Roy looks real ugly when not in nick especially if facing spin first up. But you don't rack up those numbers (average X SR) without serious quality. Just another reminder of how blessed England have been over the last 7-8 years (and how much they will need to rebuild soon).

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Can nz win to square series or 3/1 win by eng

England (Playing XI): Jonny Bairstow, Dawid Malan, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Jos Buttler(w/c), Liam Livingstone, Moeen Ali, Sam Curran, David Willey, Brydon Carse, Reece Topley

England have won the toss and have opted to bat

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So Roy and Wood not playing this series, so interesting that Carse, and Brook get a go, I could see Brook in for Roy in the squad, and Carse for a fast option. Willey will be keen not to miss another World Cup, but I fear he will, again, be disappointed.

Molehill

International Captain
I think in the case of Wood it's just keeping him fresh for when he's needed - see Ashes too. But the lack of game time for Roy must make him a real doubt for the comp. I'm starting to think Brook will be the reserve batsman who can cover top and middle order.

Be surprised if Willey doesn't make it this time, unless Archer suddenly comes back to full fitness.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think in the case of Wood it's just keeping him fresh for when he's needed - see Ashes too. But the lack of game time for Roy must make him a real doubt for the comp. I'm starting to think Brook will be the reserve batsman who can cover top and middle order.

Be surprised if Willey doesn't make it this time, unless Archer suddenly comes back to full fitness.
Yes, on Wood, but I do feel they may want a like-for-like replacement in the squad and carse is a better fit than willey. IMHO. Oh Archer is just not in my thinking.

To me Roy just doesn't go, sorry Bairstow is coming back from injuries, you can't have the reserve be a crock too. All our bats could probably open at a pinch, even Moeen.

Silver Silva

International Regular
Since 2020 , David Willey has scored 287 runs @ 41.00 , SR 103.99 and taken 36 wickets @ 22.19 , Economy 5.23

If it's based on contributions Willey is one of the first names on the team sheet and shouldn't be dependent on anyone being unfit to make an England squad.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Maybe NZ and England came to a gentleman’s agreement to have both Boult and Stokes sit this one out. “We’ll rest our best player, and you do the same”. “You’re on!”

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Maybe NZ and England came to a gentleman’s agreement to have both Boult and Stokes sit this one out. “We’ll rest our best player, and you do the same”. “You’re on!”
Sounds fair , does it include a boundary count clause ?

thierry henry

International Coach
First time actually watching this series live…is Henry actually bowling 140+ for the first time since 2015 or is it a classic juiced radar situation

thierry henry

International Coach
I’ve watched about 3 overs so far and I’ve yet to see an English batsman have a clue what’s going on, yet they’re rattling along at 6 RPO. I’m just going to assume this is a microcosm of the series.