• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Murali took an 8fa in India and actually owned India at home too. Warne never did anything against India, either home or away. On impact Murali's performance against India, who played spin better than anyone else, absolutely blows Warne away. Murali has 2 10fers against them and averaged 32 against India to Warne,'s 47. While both sucked in India Murali at least had one notable performance. And people vastly overstate how friendly his home conditions were. FTBs like Jayawardena and Samaraweera dominated on the same wickets.
Murali was better against Ind sure, but I was comparing how they performed in Ind. Even if you give that slightly to Murali, Warne never sucked anywhere as much as Murali did in Aus

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Murali was better against Ind sure, but I was comparing how they performed in Ind. Even if you give that slightly to Murali, Warne never sucked anywhere as much as Murali did in Aus
Are you just going by averages? Warne was in a team where other bowlers in his attack were absolutely destroying India and his struggles directly led to Australia losing. In context I'd argue his series vs India in 01 was worse than any of Murali's struggles in Australia.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Are you just going by averages? Warne was in a team where other bowlers in his attack were absolutely destroying India and his struggles directly led to Australia losing. In context I'd argue his series vs India in 01 was worse than any of Murali's struggles in Australia.
Well Ind did play spin better than pace, so i won’t say that

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Warne's shocker in '01 was all the more jarring because it started so promisingly. He took 4-47 in the first innings of the first Test, and then took 6-458 for the remainder of the series!

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warne's shocker in '01 was all the more jarring because it started so promisingly. He took 4-47 in the first innings of the first Test, and then took 6-458 for the remainder of the series!
Very similar to the 98 series actually. He took 4-85 at Chennai in the first innings but then Sachin and Sidhu really got hold of him in the second innings and he went 6-455 the rest of the series.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
So the inescapable conclusion is that if Warney had gone down with a broken toenail after the first innings of the first Test on both the '98 and '01 tours, we'd consider him a far better bowler.

Migara

International Coach
Warne's struggles against India cannot be trivialised to averages. He sucked against India everywhere in every format. In tests averages 44 in Inda and 62 in Australia against India. In ODIs also he averages pretty horrific.

Murali took some serious tap in India, but there were times he was running through Indian sides. On SL soil he absolutely dominated Indian batting lineups. In ODIs he has some devastating spells against India, and averages OK.

1690977196371.png