• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Australia should look to just bat and bat here. England, esp. if they are without Moeen, have to make all the running and they just dont have enough legs, I feel.

loterry1994

International Debutant
That’s just the double edged sword of bazball your going to get a lot of ugly dismissals while batting when your going at a high run rate it’s the same thing like in t20

Carlos

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Dont like the selections by McCullum. Wouldnt be picking Moeen, Bairstow (as keeper), Anderson and possibly resting Broad for Tongue.

Spark

Global Moderator
Australia should look to just bat and bat here. England, esp. if they are without Moeen, have to make all the running and they just dont have enough legs, I feel.
Yeah and Wood might be tiring a little from three Tests in a fairly short period of time - England ended up bowling 170 overs at OT as well

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sad to see it fall apart really. Been a close series so far but feel Aus are just gonna run away with it now. Kinda like that last test in the Ind-Eng series in 2018. You may have an awesome partnership in the 3rd innings with nothing to lose, but the result will be on the wall and team is totally deflated.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sad to say but think Jimmy's done. Haven't seen him have so little impact with the new ball so consistently over a home series since about 2009. Wish he'd made the decision himself tbh.
I hope for his sake he makes that call after this test regardless. Been given the series and deserves to call it quits on his terms. If he tries to press on he might not get that chance

Carlos

yeah if i were them i would bat for as long as possible just tick along at 3 an over, not too many risks, keep the bowlers in the fields for as long as possible.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Stokes asks about the shape of the ball, but it goes through umpire Wilson's gauge. No replacement forthcoming

Shri

Mr. Glass
I hope for his sake he makes that call after this test regardless. Been given the series and deserves to call it quits on his terms. If he tries to press on he might not get that chance
11 away from 700

don't see him going on his own

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Sad to say but think Jimmy's done. Haven't seen him have so little impact with the new ball so consistently over a home series since about 2009. Wish he'd made the decision himself tbh.
It's looking that way, and it's always a shame when a great player goes out with whimper due to playing a series too many. Not that I was dropping him at the start of the series, and even at Old Trafford I wouldn't have been brave enough not to pick him. But I wouldn't have played him here after he was ineffectual at OT.

Now if that doesn't make him click into gear .....

Carlos

Wood down in pace by about 5kms. He probably should play every alternate test maybe alternating with Tongue. Should have played 1,3 and 5 tests perhaps?

Spark

Global Moderator
Anderson has never been especially effective against Aus outside of a few isolated spells anyway. He hasn't looked terrible, just lacked penetration on mostly unhelpful surfaces against batsmen who know his tricks inside out and are happy to sit on him.