• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zak Crawley cricketing WUM

Ali TT

International Regular
His very presence in the England side angers quite a few of us but it's not just his mediocre record but how he gets the runs too. Turned on the cricket and in about five minutes, Crawley slashes one edge down to the third man, another over top of gully for four, a glorious straight drive to the boundary, shoulders arms to one that squeaks past the off stump, inside edges another for four.

And while that must infuriate the Aussies, now that he's in the dangerous forties, I'm sure just as is English fans get our hopes he'll go big, he'll nick one off. (Now equally dangerous fifties)

Ali TT

International Regular
So close to becoming only the 85th cricketer to score 2 or more tests doubles but as I was looking up the stats, he WUMs me by dragging on a half tracker.

Whistler

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I have always defended Crawley as the attacking opener we need in the bazball era. I have full faith in this batting approach and I hope more Englishmen are won over by the style. When I opened the batting for Lboro Uni, I took the same approach but I was far before my time. T20 cricket hadn’t even been invented then. I have a lot of respect for people who chance their arms no matter what.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Alot of humble pie to be eaten by nearly everyone on CW, myself included.

England have always believed he had that sort of innings in the locker and were prepared to put up with flashy 30s and disappointing nick offs playing at balls he could have left alone.

After lunch today he was simply brilliant. The best attack in world cricket was taken apart in a display of brilliant stroke play.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don’t think he was dropped though? How lucky can you really be if you’re not creating chances
He was dropped once but mostly he just played and missed like twenty times and had edges fly into gaps/over fielders/just past the stumps.

He plays the same way another 10 times and 9 of them doesn't get past 30. Full credit to how he played past 50 but yeah he was very very lucky for the first two hours of his innings. It was actually the opposite of some of his other innings where he looked composed and settled and then just got out, here he looked like getting out almost every ball they put it in the right place (which wasn't often tbf) until he got past 50.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He was dropped once but mostly he just played and missed like twenty times and had edges fly into gaps/over fielders/just past the stumps.

He plays the same way another 10 times and 9 of them doesn't get past 30.
When was the drop? Genuinely don’t remember.

Spark

Global Moderator
When was the drop? Genuinely don’t remember.
He had a massive drive at one, inside edge missed off stump by about 2cm but just deviated enough that Carey could only get fingertips on it. Think he was on 25-ish.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He had a massive drive at one, inside edge missed off stump by about 2cm but just deviated enough that Carey could only get fingertips on it. Think he was on 25-ish.
Ah yeah. Harsh on Carey to call that a drop tbf

Molehill

International Captain
Just seen a stat that said he was out to his 51st false shot in the innings. The only time someone has scored less than that with that many false shots was apparently Kohli's 149 (226 balls) at Edgbaston in 2018. The fella who keeps the database said he's only got 8 innings out of 1770 to have that many false shots in it.

He's basically saying that both innings were complete flukes.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

He plays the same way another 10 times and 9 of them doesn't get past 30. Full credit to how he played past 50 but yeah he was very very lucky for the first two hours of his innings. It was actually the opposite of some of his other innings where he looked composed and settled and then just got out, here he looked like getting out almost every ball they put it in the right place (which wasn't often tbf) until he got past 50.
Its very interesting that Steve Smith was dropped about 6 times and played and missed even more than Crawley did throughout his 100 in Pune and yet that is used to showcase why Smith is ATG and these factors are never mentioned. :laugh:

I understand Smith is leagues above Crawley as a batsman but sometimes its best not to let what you think of the batter overall interfere with how you judge one innings.

Spark

Global Moderator
Its very interesting that Steve Smith was dropped about 6 times and played and missed even more than Crawley did throughout his 100 in Pune and yet that is used to showcase why Smith is ATG and these factors are never mentioned. :laugh:

I understand Smith is leagues above Crawley as a batsman but sometimes its best not to let what you think of the batter overall interfere with how you judge one innings.
What, people mention that Smith got lucky in that innings all the time when discussing it?

The conditions play a fair part in that too. Batting on that thing was near impossible without a lot of luck, Crawley just didn't bat that well for the first part of his innings.

Spark

Global Moderator
Just seen a stat that said he was out to his 51st false shot in the innings. The only time someone has scored less than that with that many false shots was apparently Kohli's 149 (226 balls) at Edgbaston in 2018. The fella who keeps the database said he's only got 8 innings out of 1770 to have that many false shots in it.

He's basically saying that both innings were complete flukes.
Yeah it was absurd at one point. Every third or fourth ball was a play and miss or edge.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What, people mention that Smith got lucky in that innings all the time when discussing it?
Well, tbh, its mostly just me pointing it out when everyone discusses it as if it was some flawless masterpiece.

The conditions play a fair part in that too. Batting on that thing was near impossible without a lot of luck, Crawley just didn't bat that well for the first part of his innings.
This is fair enough. I agree with this part, I was just pointing out that in general, I feel if its a batsman who is accepted to be a good/great one, people tend to gloss over the lucky parts of their knocks while not doing the same for ones that they regard as not that good. I suppose I am guilty of it it too with some Lara, Laxman etc. knocks.