• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TPC not here to **** spiders either. All three of those shots were in complete control

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anderson has bowled more half volleys in this game than he generally does in a couple of series

ripper868

International Coach
This mornings Smith attitude seems much calmer then last night Smith attitude. He'll get out now to something silly, but if he doesn't, England will still be bowling at 4pm.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If they could combine the positive approach with the ability to switch gears when needed, they'd be very good. Bending the game to your will IS a positive approach, and that can be done without playing a shot at every single ball. England's approach to the short stuff was baffling yesterday. You can't bat positively if you are out.
Yeah but being adaptable is what makes very good/ great players. These guys aren’t known for their defensive games. I don’t know that they can do that. For all the bluster, was their first innings run rate meaningfully higher than Australia’s? I don’t think it ended up being so. Really good players have gears, not just one, whether it’s first or fifth

kevinw

International 12th Man
I'm sure Jimmy would have liked to retire on an Ashes high but I suspect he will retire on a 0-5 shellacking with individual poor performances (three tests, he'll be rotated out).

Woodster

International Captain
If they could combine the positive approach with the ability to switch gears when needed, they'd be very good. Bending the game to your will IS a positive approach, and that can be done without playing a shot at every single ball. England's approach to the short stuff was baffling yesterday. You can't bat positively if you are out.
You’re right and I agree, but it seems so obvious that’s the case that I’d like to hear the reasoning behind why it’s not been done yet or whether they’ll look to do that in the second innings and beyond.

I also don’t think we can forget the fact we’re playing a superior team and perhaps any strategy we employ will have its weaknesses and if we reverted to type (pre Bazaball) we’d be moaning about the lack of intent, rabbits in the headlights, etc. I think we know there’s a balance to be struck between aggression and pragmatism, just not sure why this hasn’t yet been acknowledged by Stokes and co in the way we play.

Saket1209

State Vice-Captain
I dont think they will Include Anderson for the next test. Maybe he will play another test at home in Manchester but his record isn't good there

Spark

Global Moderator
I have seen this plan get Smith a few times tbf. Though I don't think he'd even be able to reach these, they're that short.