• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Up and down like a ****ing yo-yo still about the merits of the declaration, even though I originally said it was bone-headed no matter what the result. I guess with the new found mentality, it has to swing hand-in-hand with what England are trying to do, and they'll say they can't do what they're doing/done what they've done without toeing the line between risky and hap-hazard.

I dunno...I don't think you can point to the fact the result came in the last few overs either as a saving grace for it, because that only came because of unforecast weather.

I don't think there's anything wrong with playing strong cricket in the first Test of a series and knowing you're good enough, even if you don't win it. 0-0 and confidence obviously ****s on 0-1 having to win two clear Tests to win back the Ashes. If it was me, I'd go back and bat on, get to 450 and know it's less likely we can be beaten. But I'm sure England will disagree. I also don't like one of the best batsmen in the world playing reverse laps or their captain becoming an out and out slogger at the sake of his run output, but alas.

CartyDurham

International Captain
It's arrogant to think 393 is a comfortable enough score on which to be confident of winning. You don't need a wicket on day 1 after batting first and putting together a decent score. If doesn't take four days to bowl a team out twice. If it does, you don't deserve to win. All Stokes did was increase his chances of losing a close match by chosing to forgoe scoring opportunities.
You are perfectly entitled to think so but having watched Stokes grow up and speaking to him personally there ain’t an arrogant bone in that lads body

england lost because of dropped chances , a no ball , missed stumping and Khawaja having an all time great test match

Also a tremendous ninth wicket stan

cricman

International 12th Man
Stokes catches Lyon the game goes the other way.

Stokes couldn't win either way. Runs we're gonna leak with the new ball and one of lower order were going to attack Root and both happened.

Molehill

International Captain
You are perfectly entitled to think so but having watched Stokes grow up and speaking to him personally there ain’t an arrogant bone in that lads body

england lost because of dropped chances , a no ball , missed stumping and Lhawajs having an all time great test match

No one is saying he's arrogant, it was just a daft decision (much like the follow on in NZ). For all the games they've won being this aggressive, they've now managed to lose two on the trot (discarding Ireland) that they should have won.

CartyDurham

International Captain
No one is saying he's arrogant, it was just a daft decision (much like the follow on in NZ). For all the games they've won being this aggressive, they've now managed to lose two on the trot (discarding Ireland) that they should have won.
Yes they are.

the person I quoted said it was arrogance

Socerer 01

International Captain

england lost because of dropped chances , a no ball , missed stumping and Khawaja having an all time great test match

you don’t have to be an arrogant person to take a cricket decision that can easily be perceived as arrogant

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
The reason england lost was dropped catches, a no ball wicket , Khawaja being truly outstanding and a fantastic gutsy 9th wicket partnership

the declaration is irrelevant
There will always be dropped catches, no-ball wickets and outstanding batting in a test match which will decide its course...what doesn't happen that often are meaningless declarations on a benign 1st day pitch when your best batsman is in blistering form and getting solid support from the lower order...and you got to say, the opposition bowlers weren't doing that good a job...