• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The British contingent will no doubt end up saying 'What are the scores on the doors Miss Ford?' the way this is going.

For the rest of you it was a gameshow hosted by Bruce Forsyth with a fit dolly bird Rosemarie Ford from the 90s.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Forecast suggests rain may still be about for the morning session but not the rest of the day.

Uppercut

I will say though that one thing the fields have helped them do is not be at big risk of a spell where England just takes the game away in an hour by scoring at like 10rpo, which can absolutely happen with these batsmen, this pitch and this crowd. For all the justified criticism of the tactics it has felt that Australia has always had a vague handle on the game which isn't nothing.
It’s hard to say whether the defensive tactics hurt them but I thought Boland and Hazlewood coped pretty badly with being attacked. Bowled far more filth than usual.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Can’t really remember the last time Australia chased down a total over 200/250?
Last time Australia chased down a 200 score was in 2016 against New Zealand @ The Hagley Oval .

For a 250+ total it was back in 2006 , when Australia chased down 292 against South Africa at the Wanderers .

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm still annoyed at Marnus's shot last night. If he just leaves everything wide of off stump and goes into stumps 15(40) or something like that then Aus are in an exceptionally strong position, but instead he's fishing at balls that wouldn't hit a second set when his entire game is built around good judgement of where his off stump is.
Exact same thing can be said for smith, no?

Burgey

The British contingent will no doubt end up saying 'What are the scores on the doors Miss Ford?' the way this is going.

For the rest of you it was a gameshow hosted by Bruce Forsyth with a fit dolly bird Rosemarie Ford from the 90s.
This is Swahili.

Molehill

International Captain
I live about 100 miles South of Birmingham and we've just been hit by a huge thunderstorm. The weather is heading North. Whenever that hits Edgbaston I suspect it's a 2 hour clean up operation at least after it. My guess would be play very unlikely before Lunch (but I'm always wrong).

Burgey

It’s hard to say whether the defensive tactics hurt them but I thought Boland and Hazlewood coped pretty badly with being attacked. Bowled far more filth than usual.
Yeah I think Boland in particular was pretty poor. Didn't adapt very well to the surface and approach at all. Credit to England for that tbf. Haze had some junk moments but they all bowled too straight imo. Whether you have it set up or back, you can't set fields for bowling both sides of the wicket. It was pretty uncharacteristic, and they did it last week too, so maybe its rust. Cummins certinaly got better as the game went on, but he's on another level again.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Genuinely think a 100-run victory for us is the most likely outcome under the grey Brummy skies

Molehill

International Captain
Genuinely think a 100-run victory for us is the most likely outcome under the grey Brummy skies
I think that will depend on whether they get on the field whilst it's still grey. I can see the clean up operation taking all that time and could be sunny by the time play actually starts.

Anyway, whatever happens, this has been a fantastic Test Match. The two teams look pretty evenly matched and this looks like being an awesome series.

Uppercut

I think that will depend on whether they get on the field whilst it's still grey. I can see the clean up operation taking all that time and could be sunny by the time play actually starts.

Anyway, whatever happens, this has been a fantastic Test Match. The two teams look pretty evenly matched and this looks like being an awesome series.
They usually get more movement after a rain shower even when the sun has come out. Probably something to do with moisture in the air.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
They wouldn't have been though, because their line up isn't suited to grinding it out in a more traditional way. Which is fine and not a knock on them, but it's pretty hilarious hearing people bemoaning their side playing loose shots when the entire MO which has brought them recent success is about going as hard at the ball as possible. It's the price you buy them at.
Yeh that's true. Just think our plans could have been much better though

Why bowl both sides with no catching options and everyone out?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
In the first hour yeah which was the one time in the game where it did really look ropey. And even then it wasn't the defensive field which saved them but an unplayable ball. They got a much better handle on things after Root ran past one though.
Pretty impressive how bad Lyon can look sometimes

He was bowling stuff my club team would be furious at

Burgey

Yeh that's true. Just think our plans could have been much better though

Why bowl both sides with no catching options and everyone out?
Agreed. Don't mind the sweepers on the off side and bowling in the channel. Felt like they didn't trust themselves to do that or they were looking for the wicket taking straighter ball too often. Got away from what works best for them. Live and learn I suppose.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Agreed. Don't mind the sweepers on the off side and bowling in the channel. Felt like they didn't trust themselves to do that or they were looking for the wicket taking straighter ball too often. Got away from what works best for them. Live and learn I suppose.
You think Australia will win