• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Yikes, Bairstow. I have some sympathy for the missed stumping even if it was one that should’ve been taken, but that missed catch was as regulation as they come standing up.
I thought both of Bairstow's missed chances were about as straightforward as it gets off a spinner.

In fairness, he's hardly kept recently apart from a couple of matches for Yorkshire but Foakes would have gobbled both chances up.

Nasser was speaking about it after play and said he still thought Bairstow was the right pick as who would we drop to fit Foakes in.

But I think that's the wrong way of looking at things. You pick your best keeper batsmen and that's Foakes.

You then pick the best batsmen and if you have 1 too many, then someone misses out.

Keeping is too important a position to compromise with selection, and we were taught that lesson today.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looking back I don't think Khawaja was wronged at all. He probably should've been picked earlier than he was but his initial dropping was fully justified, unless you want players to be given Asad Shafiq levels of rope as a rule, and he was nowhere close to the batsman that he is now. He was the senior batsman in Australia's worst year for batting for a century and went missing when he was needed most. At the same time, Harris was dominating FC and absolutely deserved a run in the side. Khawaja opening was a left-field call at the time and there's no saying it would've worked well. He didn't open regularly in FC and only went up the order after being dropped IIRC. Then he earned a return which he got and continues to do well.

trundler

Well maybe he should've been picked a lot sooner but dropped players generally have to be exceptionally productive to earn a return. And I think Harris was still ahead of him domestically for a fair chunk of that time.

TheJediBrah

Khawaja was definitely not treated harshly by selectors. If anything he might have been treated too leniently. Going to be real annoying hearing casuals go on about how he is so good now that he must have been dropped unfairly in the past and so on

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking back I don't think Khawaja was wronged at all. He probably should've been picked earlier than he was but his initial dropping was fully justified, unless you want players to be given Asad Shafiq levels of rope as a rule, and he was nowhere close to the batsman that he is now. He was the senior batsman in Australia's worst year for batting for a century and went missing when he was needed most. At the same time, Harris was dominating FC and absolutely deserved a run in the side. Khawaja opening was a left-field call at the time and there's no saying it would've worked well. He didn't open regularly in FC and only went up the order after being dropped IIRC. Then he earned a return which he got and continues to do well.
Thats the nuts and bolts of it. There was probably an argument to be made for khawaja opening in the 2019 ashes after marnus came in and made 3 straight 50's given that at the time usman had averaged nearly 100 in the 5 test's he'de opened, had averaged 20 in that ashes thus far compared to the ~10 harris was averaging and had done as well as harris in the home summer before when harris made his debut (310 runs @34 vs 327 runs @33). Harris was coming off a big 1000+ run shield season, like you said, so he probably deserved to be backed.

TheJediBrah

Khawaja has been hard done by in ODIs though. Should have been a regular for the last 5 years. Though that's somewhat understandable as the idea was that he has to open and he was not getting past Warner/Finch/Smith

the big bambino

International Captain
Congratulations to Usman and what a journey his career has been. Can be included in the company of of our best openers now. I think criticisms of Usman have been a little unfair over the years but possibly based in the belief that he should've been the batsman he has now become. The same can be said about his frequent omissions from the test team. Sometimes too harsh and too long if initially deserved.

I can only hope that he can keep playing at this level for another 2 or 3 years and give time as well as inspiration to the likes of Renshaw and Harris (whom I know isn't rated but remains there because of a lack of candidates) or until someone new comes along. The advance of Usman and Travis Head has in some way covered for Smith and Labuschagne stepping down from their respective God modes.

Stuart Broad is an arsehole.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

For the England fans that have seen Pope take the gloves, how good a keeper is he? I know he took the gloves in PAK when foakes was out and I don't think he made any massive errors but I can't remember it to well either. Would he be a better option than bairstow with the gloves?

In the past I've said drop Crawley for foakes, but Crawley actually had a solid start to the season in county this year and has made runs/been NO in all 3 digs this summer, even if he's been shaky at points. Seems unfair to drop him now after England backed him for so long.
Pope is clueless with gloves but ok as a back up if something happens to the keeper in the test.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Khawaja was definitely not treated harshly by selectors. If anything he might have been treated too leniently. Going to be real annoying hearing casuals go on about how he is so good now that he must have been dropped unfairly in the past and so on
Nah Langer definitely didn't like Khawaja and picking Harris for those couple of seasons instead was an atrocious call

halba

International 12th Man
RIP all bowlers. this ashes series is going to be a graveyard for any bowler especially older ones like Jimmy or slower ones like Robinson.

Fast and flat wickets were ordered by Stokes......which benefits Eng only slightly...their spinner is village..if it was seam up conditions it will benefit england a tad more.
1687051688352.png