• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The concern is that the old No Obvious Alternative excuse might be trotted out
This is one of my cricketing bugbears. Especially because Australia gives players a lot of rope and practically never gives fringe players a go in dead-rubber tests (which we play a lot of) so alternatives remain unexplored. It really is a case of 'we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas'.

The World Test Championship makes this even worse because it incentivises always picking the perceived best XI now (even if 3-0 up like last Ashes) and not making changes that might be perceived as destabilising (i.e. not dropping failing players), redoubling the inertia.

Chrish

International Debutant
Back in the days when I started watching, idea that Indian tail can hold the bat and score 10+ was unthinkable. And, now it’s the tail that keeps digging us out of the trouble.

How times have changed..

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Back in the days when I started watching, idea that Indian tail can hold the bat and score 10+ was unthinkable. And, now it’s the tail that keeps digging us out of the trouble.

How times have changed..
The indian tail is pretty **** away from home tbf. In SA they fielded ashwin at 7, shardul at 8 and 3 #11's from memory.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah he's got nothing left mate. He's genuinely shot. He played that one anomalous dig in Melbourne vs SA but he's looked completely shot for at least a year, probably longer, and has looked shot again after it.
Weird that he's still looked mostly very good in the white-ball stuff. It's just Tests where he's lost it

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
No team in the history of cricket can whitewash this Australian side .

You are extremely underestimating Smith + Lyon+ Labu+ Cummins + Khwaja in current form
Lyon will be useless in the Ashes this year. I am pretty sure about it. But yeah, the others you have mentioned will all probably do very well.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
So sad that Pant will miss the match in England as well as the South Africa series end of year and also the England home series next year where India could be in trouble without him!

I hope he is back by the next BGT in Dec 2024.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
With pant we would have won 3-0. I don’t anything would have been able to prevent a draw in Ahmedabad. But in Indore, Pant would have made a colossal difference.
True. Though if Aus had green in the second test there's every chance that they win that test given that he averages 49 with the bat in asia compared to renshaw who had a negative impact that game and would have given us a 5th bowler.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
I think Ashwin deserves MOTS tho. Was good on all decks. Indore was the only really dodgy one. Delhi merely spin friendly and Nagpur also not that much. And Ashwin outperformed all the other bowlers on this flat track. Plus Ashwin also played a key hand in the Delhi rescue. Axar great with the bat, but not even a little difference with the ball.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With pant we would have won 3-0. I don’t anything would have been able to prevent a draw in Ahmedabad. But in Indore, Pant would have made a colossal difference.
That's a stretch. The margin of loss at Indore was big, it's highly unlikely Pant would have made all that difference