• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
People were way too premature with Smith imo, I refer to those labelling him the all-time 2nd best since Bradman when I'm still not even convinced he's Australia's 2nd best remembering Ponting was averaging 59.99 after 107 tests.

I always said once Smith has a lean unlucky spell which all players have and his average finishes in the mid to late 50s, then he'll be one of a handful of top notch players in the discussion, Tendulkar, Hammond etc. Let's wait until he finishes up.
Smith's peak was better then punters, which is why I think some rate him higher.

Shri

Mr. Glass
first bgt test i have decided not to watch in a decade this

adelaide did not give me a chance to get the remote to turn it off. all over before i reached over for it :ph34r:

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
People were way too premature with Smith imo, I refer to those labelling him the all-time 2nd best since Bradman when I'm still not even convinced he's Australia's 2nd best remembering Ponting was averaging 59.99 after 107 tests.

I always said once Smith has a lean unlucky spell which all players have and his average finishes in the mid to late 50s, then he'll be one of a handful of top notch players in the discussion, Tendulkar, Hammond etc. Let's wait until he finishes up.
Most important series for Aussies is The Ashes , in this criteria Steven Smith dominates Ricky Ponting and is the deciding factor for me ..

Ricky Ponting vs England - 2476 runs @ 44.21 in 35 tests , 44.35 vs Eng at home , 44.10 vs England in England

Steven Smith vs England - 3042 runs @ 59.69 in 32 tests , 54.50 vs England , 65.08 vs England in England

PaulLennon

U19 Debutant
Most important series for Aussies is The Ashes , in this criteria Steven Smith dominates Ricky Ponting and is the deciding factor for me ..

Ricky Ponting vs England - 2476 runs @ 44.21 in 35 tests , 44.35 vs Eng at home , 44.10 vs England in England

Steven Smith vs England - 3042 runs @ 59.69 in 32 tests , 54.50 vs England , 65.08 vs England in England
yeah and steven smith played against much better england attacks.

Molehill

International Captain
Do you consider yourself a keen watcher of the game?
Got ridiculed for my stance on Khawaja on Friday...

This was clearly a pitch so flat that even Kohli could get a ton. As good as Khawaja's knock was, it never took India out of their comfort zone, they cruised past that inadequate 480 with a batsman down too. If Australia wanted to win this game (and they needed to), they had to score a minimum 400 a day on a pitch as placid as this. And so what if they got out giving it a go, does losing 3-1 or 2-1 really make a difference?

Those hoping it would break up on Days 4 and 5 either didn't read the pitch or were plucking at straws. A weak strategy and getting what it deserved. Hoping this kind of thinking is brought to The Ashes too because it will get chewed up and spat out.

Spark

Global Moderator
Got ridiculed for my stance on Khawaja on Friday...

This was clearly a pitch so flat that even Kohli could get a ton. As good as Khawaja's knock was, it never took India out of their comfort zone, they cruised past that inadequate 480 with a batsman down too. If Australia wanted to win this game (and they needed to), they had to score a minimum 400 a day on a pitch as placid as this. And so what if they got out giving it a go, does losing 3-1 or 2-1 really make a difference?

Those hoping it would break up on Days 4 and 5 either didn't read the pitch or were plucking at straws. A weak strategy and getting what it deserved. Hoping this kind of thinking is brought to The Ashes too because it will get chewed up and spat out.
Did you not notice India batting at exactly the same pace until the last session yesterday? And then at exactly the same pace today?

If both sides bat at 2.5rpo over 5 days with exceptions only when the bowlers are cooked, then maybe that suggests something about how easy it is to score quickly on the pitch. India didn't "cruise past" 480, it took an exceptional innings by an exceptional batsman to do so.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very weird post. You've come back in the dying throes of the match on day five with this sort of junk. No one scored freely on this until yesterday arvo after India took a lead.

The 480 wasn't inadequate because of Khawaja though. He made 180 ffs.

The pitch is still flat now. It's half way through day five and doing nothing. Aus has been 6 out all out the entire series. You have to play the cards you're dealt. There certainly would have been a result had they slogged their way out for 280.

They could probably play on this for another five days and be lucky to get a result.

Molehill

International Captain
Did you not notice India batting at exactly the same pace until the last session yesterday? And then at exactly the same pace today?

If both sides bat at 2.5rpo over 5 days with exceptions only when the bowlers are cooked, then maybe that suggests something about how easy it is to score quickly on the pitch. India didn't "cruise past" 480, it took an exceptional innings by an exceptional batsman to do so.
India didn't need to score any quicker because they didn't need to win the game.