• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Just found somoene in the youtube comment section trying to argue that if mcgrath had average team support in the bowling/fielding/batting department rather than the ATG aussie side he would be a hazlewood tier bowler. I've seen bad takes in the comments before but that's next level lol.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
View attachment 35003
why have the kiwu not seen it fit to tell us that seddon park is named after King Dick
Don't like to talk about him as he was another bloody Lancastrian.

Anyway, I doubt you'd think much of him due to the Māori land confiscation that took place during his long tenure and his 'interesting' views on Chinese workers - comparing them to monkeys and calling them a nuisance. Even Judith Collins had suggested that if we were to pull down any particular monuments, we could start with those dedicated to Richard Seddon.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Don't like to talk about him as he was another bloody Lancastrian.

Anyway, I doubt you'd think much of him due to the Māori land confiscation that took place during his long tenure and his 'interesting' views on Chinese workers - comparing them to monkeys and calling them a nuisance. Even Judith Collins had suggested that if we were to pull down any particular monuments, we could start with those dedicated to Richard Seddon.
it appears that i fired off before doing my research, thanks for the heads up

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
46 years today since the Centenary Test kicked off in Melbourne. One of the great test matches and a couple of insane performances from Randall and Lillee in particular.

When I was a kid I had a photo compilation book which included a stack from all the functions held before and during the test. It wasn’t til years later I got an appreciation of how great a gathering it was. One of the pics I always loved was this one which bobbed up on my feed today. Three blokes who could bowl a bit:

1678573850736.png

Last edited:

Starfighter

Just been reading Jeff Stollmeyer's autobiography, and he reckoned that Tyson was the fastest bowler he'd seen, even having seen Holding. So Benaud was not the only one to hold that opinion.

peterhrt

U19 Vice-Captain
Just been reading Jeff Stollmeyer's autobiography, and he reckoned that Tyson was the fastest bowler he'd seen, even having seen Holding. So Benaud was not the only one to hold that opinion.
Benaud, Swanton and Woodcock were thought to have seen more cricket than anybody. All said Tyson was the fastest.

So did Bradman, Graveney, Bailey, Evans, Jock Livingston and Dicky Bird. Even Trueman agreed.

Stollmeyer is an interesting addition.

Starfighter

Benaud, Swanton and Woodcock were thought to have seen more cricket than anybody. All said Tyson was the fastest.

So did Bradman, Graveney, Bailey, Evans, Jock Livingston and Dicky Bird. Even Trueman agreed.

Stollmeyer is an interesting addition.
I found it an interesting one because Stollmeyer never played either with or against Tyson, unlike the others you mention. He saw him with a team EW Swanton brought over in 1956. This meant he didn't have the bias of actually having to face him. He was also 35 - a bit more mature than Benaud was at the time.

Also interestingly that was after Tyson began to suffer injuries that affected his pace in 1955. There's a parallel with Jeff Thomson - Tony Cosier (and evidently a lot of others) thought his end of day spell at Bridgetown in 1978 was the fastest ever bowled in the West Indies, that was after his major shoulder injury that really precipitated his decline.