• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Spark

Global Moderator
They let India get to 262 from 139-7 ffs. How is that a serviceable performance by the bowlers? A capitulation with the ball just like what happened later with the bat.
They bowled India out for a score which still had Australia ahead in the game according to most observers, including the Indian team itself. I don't know how else you would define "serviceable" other than that. Obviously it could and should have been much better than that had they shot India out for 150.

the big bambino

International Captain
I think our bowlers have a tough job getting through the depth of India's batting so its not unusual to concede a score from that 7 wicket down position. Nothing excuses the wild swipes across the line that our batsmen referred to as "sweeps".

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
They let India get to 262 from 139-7 ffs. How is that a serviceable performance by the bowlers? A capitulation with the ball just like what happened later with the bat.
While I too think @Sunil1z way that the batters lost them the previous match, this is a valid point.

If there is one major weakness for India right now, it is the batting while bowling at home is quite strong. If the Australian bowlers had stepped up and got India out for a cheap total, the Indian bowlers would have been under scoreboard pressure which the Australian batters could have taken to their advantage.

R!TTER

State Regular
It's rare to get India out cheaply in India given we have 3 ATG batters from 7 to 9 - it was an okayish performance, not bad but not much else.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ashwin and axar actually had to bat well to do it because Australia's bowling was quite decent .

Our spinners didn't even have to bowl anywhere near their best in the second innings to get those wickets.
Might mention that with this thing about Australia not being able to dismiss 'the tail', said tail has plenty of FC centuries between them, even if Ranji averages are rather flattering. Most teams would kill to bat as deep as India does ATM.

Xix2565

International Regular
Ashwin and axar actually had to bat well to do it because Australia's bowling was quite decent .

Our spinners didn't even have to bowl anywhere near their best in the second innings to get those wickets.
They bowled India out for a score which still had Australia ahead in the game according to most observers, including the Indian team itself. I don't know how else you would define "serviceable" other than that. Obviously it could and should have been much better than that had they shot India out for 150.
Decent but not match-winning though. Like sure, it's expecting a lot from the rookie members of the touring attack up against experienced home batters in home conditions but I don't think that in Test cricket this sort of let off for the batting side is more credit for them rather than a problem with the bowling attack. I don't think batters can dictate terms in Tests to the same extent as bowlers, they can't directly force bowlers to bowl with less control unlike how bowlers can get even good batters who rarely make errors out with just a few mistakes. Ashwin and Jadeja even when not at their best were still consistently better, which is to their credit. I don't disagree that the way the innings went was flukey, but I didn't think Australia would be able to get the runs they needed in the 3rd innings.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Decent but not match-winning though. Like sure, it's expecting a lot from the rookie members of the touring attack up against experienced home batters in home conditions but I don't think that in Test cricket this sort of let off for the batting side is more credit for them rather than a problem with the bowling attack. I don't think batters can dictate terms in Tests to the same extent as bowlers, they can't directly force bowlers to bowl with less control unlike how bowlers can get even good batters who rarely make errors out with just a few mistakes. Ashwin and Jadeja even when not at their best were still consistently better, which is to their credit. I don't disagree that the way the innings went was flukey, but I didn't think Australia would be able to get the runs they needed in the 3rd innings.
When was last time a team dismissed India on a < 200 total in India in 1st or 2nd innings?
Answer this question before blaming Aussie bowlers.

PaulLennon

U19 Debutant
When was last time a team dismissed India on a < 200 total in India in 1st or 2nd innings?
Answer this question before blaming Aussie bowlers.
Yup. For a team that bats till 9, it's almost impossible to get India out for less than 200. Ahmedabad 3rd test vs England Ind were out below 200 but then got England out for 80 or something.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wrong way round. Bowlers are the only ones who can win you games consistently, since you need 20 wickets to win (at a cheaper rate than the opposition bowlers). Smith for all his runs vs India won't change the situation more than the likes of Lyon/Murphy/Kuhnemann stepping up and bowling on par with Ashwin/Jadeja/Axar.
True, but you also can’t bowl to 150 odd every innings.

You can’t consistently do it. If you try to you end up being the current South African team - a stack of world class bowlers with nothing to defend and you get belted.

If Aus makes even 200 in the second dig it’s a game. They were 2/85 then all out 110 or whatever it was. You can’t bowl to that consistently, no matter who you are. You need a total to bowl to just as much as you need bowlers who can take 20 wickets.

I’m not saying the Aus bowlers were great btw, just saying the greater of the failures in the last test by far imo was the batting. Even attacks with all timers won’t consistently bowl teams out for those sorts of numbers.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Have to slightly disagree there . Smith dismissal triggered the collapse . And that shot was completely not needed .

Rest of the batsmen had made up their mind to sweep irrespective of the type of ball .
Yeah but what made Smith go for that shot ? The nice set up by Ashwin preceding it. Ashwin was bowling around the wicket to Smith and Labu when the former came into bat, and just the over before the wicket, turned to over the wicket. There was a close shout vs Labu who went sweeping just before the wicket ball, but was missing off stump. It is very hard to get lbw for off spinners bowling over the wicket and hence it was a reasonable choice to use. However what did Smith in was the copious turn Ashwin got and more importantly the low bounce, thanks to the deception in length by Ash.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Yeah but what made Smith go for that shot ? The nice set up by Ashwin preceding it. Ashwin was bowling around the wicket to Smith and Labu when the former came into bat, and just the over before the wicket, turned to over the wicket. There was a close shout vs Labu who went sweeping just before the wicket ball, but was missing off stump. It is very hard to get lbw for off spinners bowling over the wicket and hence it was a reasonable choice to use. However what did Smith in was the copious turn Ashwin got and more importantly the low bounce, thanks to the deception in length by Ash.
Smith could have easily played that over as a maiden . There was no need to play that shot . That was a brainfade moment from Smith. No need to overanalyse his dismissal.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I’m not talking about highlights. I watched the whole thing. Which tbf didn’t take long.

I said they bowled well, but not 9/50 well or whatever it was.
I agree that the middle and lower orders did commit mistakes, but did they have any game to play otherwise ? I suspect. Carey has literally no other go to shot than the sweep. And Renshaw is quite underconfident as a batter and was done in by deception in length by Ashwin.

All big wickets - Head, Khawaja, Smith, Labu and Handscomb were bowlers extracting with good set up and execution.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Yeah Just like Australian bowlers set up India during 36/9 D at Adelaide .
This things are not called set up . These are called Good bowling + Bad luck + Bad selection of shots .

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Smith could have easily played that over as a maiden . There was no need to play that shot . That was a brainfade moment from Smith. No need to overanalyse his dismissal.
He could theoretically play out maidens after maidens for two days. Or like a world class batsman, analyze the percentages and select the shots.

To repeat myself, a sweep off an off spinner who is bowling over the wicket and targeting the edges is not the most riskiest thing in the world, especially with not many close in fielders. Ashwin out did Smith.in terms of both setup and execution ultimately. The ball had a terminal dip that messed up Smith's sweep execution, and then the turn plus lack of bounce did him in.

Again, remember that Labu stayed back to a similar ball and almost lost his stumps just the previous over And Ashwin was more deceiving than Jadeja in terms of trajectory and length that Smith did not have the confidence to take him on by running down the track (like he was doing with Jadeja). Labu tried doing that but was beaten multiple times.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Gill will take a lot of confidence from his swashbuckling 100 at the same venue last week. The outfield is lightning quick and the ground dimensions small. Basically a venue where toss will give the team a good advantage.