• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Like….it worked again, it’s worked for years, it’s ****ing Wagnerball baby….but I honestly still think we could’ve got Leach and/or Anderson by going full and straight with slips.Or hell, even Wagnerball with yorkers.
Yeah, end justified the means, but it reached the point of over-reliance on the tactic over a year ago.

Anyway, saving the arguments for later. Here's to Wagner engineering another improbable win, this time when NZ barely had an attack on the park. Southee was far from his best, Henry unfit and Macewell generally having a shocker.

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
It's easy to say now, but would Foakes have been better served taking the Steve Waugh approach and let Leach take strike (must have turned down about 15 runs at least)? Leach seems a reasonably well organised player.

Ultimately, an amazing test match and kudos to Wagner for sticking at it when he must have been exhausted. Stokes and McCullum have said they're trying to make test cricket exciting and they're delivering on that.
Yeah he will definitely regret turning down so many single opportunities that's for sure

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
Look on the bright side. You won't have to worry about choosing whether to enforce any follow-ons during the Ashes.
Yeah that's true I knew that was a mistake,however unbelievably we were one away from getting away with it. Long time until The Ashes because don't feel same passion for ODI & T20's as test matches.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah the strategy definitely worked. If Leach had faced a whole over early on there is a very high chance he gets out.

BeeGee

International Captain
Yeah but this side's been consistently making a mockery of those chases. You'd gladly accept one loss for every five wins chasing *if* the trend continues. Be silly to blame their new approach for this defeat.
I don't have a problem with any aspect of Bazball except the first innings declarations. It's not positive or attacking, all it does is help the opposition.
It was definitely an unnecessary contributing factor in this defeat.

Moss

That's just the most insane Test match, and of course we should all point out to the doomsayers that nothing comes close to the intrigue, talking points, media coverage, hype and general depth of interest than Test cricket does. What a ****ing beauty.
Take that David White!

Getting a lot of pings from friends in India wondering why on earth this isn't a 3-test series. Bit of an all-round shock to learn NZ haven't hosted one of those in 6 years.

Moss

I don't have a problem with any aspect of Bazball except the first innings declarations. It's not positive or attacking, all it does is help the opposition.
It was definitely an unnecessary contributing factor in this defeat.
In this case I thought the declaration (and possibly the follow-on too) was more driven by the threat of rain? Seems like we were lucky to get the amount of play we did.