• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Quite disappointing session for us. We were right into it but then the bowling went a bit awry. Credit to Brooks for taking the attack to our bowlers. It was not all slogging, it was very measured. Root does what he always does, he was one guy we needed to get. He can adopt and has far less ego given his experience. He batted beautifully out there on a tough deck. Probably got beaten no more than like couple of times. If this partnership keeps growing and we don't get one if not both before the first hour after lunch we will have our backs to the wall given we only effectively have 3 main bowlers out of which one is going for plenty. Bracewell to the rescue but don't think so, it's only wishful thinking. I think Wagner has lost a lot of confidence since the last test match. He's unable to hit the length, he's missing by plenty.

We won the toss, we have the conditions to our liking but we took the feet off after a great start

slippy888

International Captain
Pretty good session in the end for England.

The pitch did enough early on and NZ bowled well and took a.couple of smart catches.

But Brook has played very well and turned the momentum back to us.

It bazball what do you expect it the winning formula.

The Hutt Rec

Once again the NZ selectors have gone down an absolute rabbit hole with this team ... great up top from Henry and Southee, but where are 20 wickets going to come from? We've included a woefully out of form Nicholls and decided to cram Young in as well ... with the series on the line and needing a win to save us from our first home series defeat since 2017, we've picked a side to bat three days for a draw. ??‍♂

Geez this lot drive me up the wall!!!

The Hutt Rec

Quite disappointing session for us. We were right into it but then the bowling went a bit awry. Credit to Brooks for taking the attack to our bowlers. It was not all slogging, it was very measured. Root does what he always does, he was one guy we needed to get. He can adopt and has far less ego given his experience. He batted beautifully out there on a tough deck. Probably got beaten no more than like couple of times. If this partnership keeps growing and we don't get one if not both before the first hour after lunch we will have our backs to the wall given we only effectively have 3 main bowlers out of which one is going for plenty. Bracewell to the rescue but don't think so, it's only wishful thinking. I think Wagner has lost a lot of confidence since the last test match. He's unable to hit the length, he's missing by plenty.

We won the toss, we have the conditions to our liking but we took the feet off after a great start
Went awry because we don't even have a first change bowler in the side ...

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf Thierry does like to engage in drunk posting when he's watching the cricket, and will happily admit that. Not sure he's ever said anything about being stoned though. Weird post all round.
I thought slippy had been posting in an unusually antagonistic manner all morning, but that was just bizarre.

nzfan

Went awry because we don't even have a first change bowler in the side ...
Wagner done then you reckon? Good thing he signed up for county cricket prior to the series. Probably play for county for the next couple of seasons. Inside running is he wants to play couple more years for BCs. Great character and resilience but body does take a beating over the years bowling pace. Besides he just can't bowl without giving it 100% every ball, takes a lot out.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Once again the NZ selectors have gone down an absolute rabbit hole with this team ... great up top from Henry and Southee, but where are 20 wickets going to come from? We've included a woefully out of form Nicholls and decided to cram Young in as well ... with the series on the line and needing a win to save us from our first home series defeat since 2017, we've picked a side to bat three days for a draw. ??‍♂

Geez this lot drive me up the wall!!!
And while I'm not a big Tickner fan he actually took wickets with good deliveries at MM. If they want to play 6 batters and Blundell, that's fine but include Phillips or Ravindra (or Foxcroft when eligible) in the top 6, so another seamer can play instead of Bracewell.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
keep moaning and literally bazballing every international cricket, unreal some england cricket fans
Amazing we get criticized for not slagging crawley we get slagged for slagging Crawley, Crawley is truly an all-compassing way of slating England fans, TBF we probably deserve it.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I came home at 12.45 and saw Young running around, so I was happy. Now I see that Nicholls is there too, and they've dropped two seamers to accommodate the extra bowler, then won the toss and bowled?

I mean, there's just nothing to suggest this team, under this management, knows what the **** they're doing. There is no continuity, no long term thought process.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
And while I'm not a big Tickner fan he actually took wickets with good deliveries at MM. If they want to play 6 batters and Blundell, that's fine but include Phillips or Ravindra (or Foxcroft when eligible) in the top 6, so another seamer can play instead of Bracewell.
This pitch would have suited Tickner as well as any could. It is crazy that he's not in this team. The only way Young plays is if/when Nicholls is dropped. We're already a 'seamer' short because Wagner is a shell of his former self, and Mitchell isn't a fourth seamer.

Last edited:

nzfan

I know it's done and dusted the selection for this test match but I don't understand why the management is so adamant with some like Nicholls, Bracewell etc.. One bad game or series from Young, Patel, Sodhi, Phillips or Ravindra they are out but then this persistence with few players is nauseating. We should have played a 4th bowler here or at least have some confidence in Darryl Mitchell if you thought he will be your 4th bowler. Looks like Southee is a yes man for Gary Stead.

Brook's side

International Regular
I came home at 12.45 and saw Young running around, so I was happy. Now I see that Nicholls is there too, and they've dropped two seamers to accommodate the extra bowler, then won the toss and bowled?

I mean, there's just nothing to suggest this team, under this management, knows what the **** they're doing. There is no continuity, no long term thought process.
Hmmm. Picking 8 batters and then bowling first. Its hardly bazball is it? lol.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf Mitchell looked totally unthreatening. Which isn’t a surprise, he’s always looked like the Scott Styris to CDG’s Jacob Oram. But the fact that he came on after 10 overs clearly showed the lineup was a decision made with Mitchell’s bowling in mind. Really poor.