• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

subshakerz

International Coach
Was just trying to think of the last time Australua won an away Test series after losing the first Test... and I think you have to go as far back as the 1997 Ashes.

Historically when Australia win overseas they start the series well; they're not the sort of side to have a slow start than turn things around during the tour. This is one of the reasons the rest of this series is such a major challenge for Cummins as leader.
Yeah. Next test to me can determine if this side is worth comparing to the best sides in Aussie history.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Still he is best non-Indian spinner currently. Give him some respect.
I don't think he is. He has been part of a good bowling crop that complement each other brilliantly, especially at home. However, from skills perspective he is limited. The last test has been a very good indication of this. Australia need not fret however, because they have just unearthed their next Lyon who I think is a decent upgrade as well.

Shady Slim

International Coach
I don't think he is. He has been part of a good bowling crop that complement each other brilliantly, especially at home. However, from skills perspective he is limited. The last test has been a very good indication of this. Australia need not fret however, because they have just unearthed their next Lyon who I think is a decent upgrade as well.
he's basically the bizarro spinner, he's built for australian conditions where many offies get absolutely massacred
conversely, curiously, was outbowled by ashwin and jadeja in each of the two most recent tours here

sidr

Cricket Spectator
New here.
Not sure why Aussies bother turning up to India. As usual the wickets turn square especially to left handed Aussie batsmen.
The pitch curator was caught “nobbling” the side of the pitch that the left-hand Australian batters have to deal with, while keeping other side easier?
Cant blame the Aussies for laughing in the sheds - they know the whole tour is a setup.
Sorry Ravi - you can't keep on defending the indefensible.
Maybe send over a 2nd XI, and rest the 1st XI for the long Ashes tour. At least Travis Head is well rested, so far - keep him away.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nothing has changed. Seems Pant has inflicted terminal damage already.
Pant hasn't 'inflicted terminal damage' as such. Pant plays Lyon superbly but the issues Lyon's having were prominent before Pant took him down.

It's a technical thing. I first noticed his bowling was on the fritz in the Sheffield Shield before the 19/20 India series and it was immediately obvious from pretty much his first over that series (the test Pant didn't play) that he'd lost some of the snap in his action and resultant revs. Part of the issue seems to be that he's gotten more chest-on. He's been a bit better at times since but never like he was before.

He's never developed the tricky variations in flight and spin that allowed someone like Herath to succeed even though he put few revs on it. I suspect this is partly because he succeeded without for years, but without that hard spin he's not the same threat. He also seems to have forgotten what he talked about after the Bangladesh series a few years ago about 'bowling dirty'. Ashwin on the other hand has just gotten better and better at that kind of bowling, and varies his pace and spin direction a lot.

Even though his average in the home season was good I felt it was very flattering, like Rabada's. Most of the time I frankly thought he was bowling poorly. So frankly I've got no surprise he went how he did in the test just gone.

Sunil1z

International Regular
New here.
Not sure why Aussies bother turning up to India. As usual the wickets turn square especially to left handed Aussie batsmen.
The pitch curator was caught “nobbling” the side of the pitch that the left-hand Australian batters have to deal with, while keeping other side easier?
Cant blame the Aussies for laughing in the sheds - they know the whole tour is a setup.
Maybe send over a 2nd XI, and rest the 1st XI for the long Ashes tour. At least Travis Head is well rested, so far - keep him away.
ATG 1st post

Shady Slim

International Coach
Neither of which were that quick. A fastish, bouncy but flat wicket - normal in Australia - would have suited both the Australian batsmen's preferred stroke play and short-of-a-length channel bowling more than the surfaces actually produced. Conversely, the slower, lower Melbourne pitch made things better for India, being used to stroke play and bowling more suitable lengths for such pitches.

Nobody deliberately alters their pitches for someone with Bumrah's figures. And he had better figures in Melbourne, which was by a margin the slower and less grassy of the first two pitches.

Your emoji use just makes look like like a sooky troll - which you are.
tbf what the indian pacers did so well in the past two tours is they didn't fall for the meme every touring pace cartel seems to fall for, that being, australian pitches are fast and bouncy so let's bowl short of a length. they hucked it up full, and challenged the timbers which is what you should be doing when you bowl here.

and it's not as if it's only first time pacers who do this either! every ashes we get to see a bemusing graphic about how jimmeh and broad despite touring here a million times still only have 2.7% of balls they bowl challenging the stumps lol

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That describes Sydney and Brisbane well. Melbourne, though, was very seam friendly.
Even seam friendly I would argue would help India more than a "normal" flat Aus wicket would. India have the seamers to take advantage of it and Aus batsmen aren't typically great in seaming conditions.

If Aus wanted to give India (or any Asian touring side) the smallest chance they should be keeping the pitches relatively flat, but with as much pace and bounce as possible

Sunil1z

International Regular
Again you are massively under- rating him . He is a very good bowler whose figures aren’t that good because he plays for Aus . If he was Asian bowler , he would be averaging 27-28 .

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
he's basically the bizarro spinner, he's built for australian conditions where many offies get absolutely massacred
conversely, curiously, was outbowled by ashwin and jadeja in each of the two most recent tours here
Yes, and he has for that reason been an invaluable asset to the team. He plays the perfect foiler for CHS. He understands that he doesn't need to do anything extra ordinary but just keep it tight. Use the StarcMarks, bowl the outside off stump line and let the impatience of batsmen do the rest. But India, over time, meticulously studied him and now has dismantled him. The shellacking by Pant and Co in the last series has inflicted some serious damage to his confidence. Imagine getting pummelled for six on a Day 5 pitch where the previous ball spun off a crack to first slip! And now seeing a rookie doing similar things but slightly better and hence being rewarded with a seven for, while you struggle with just one wicket for over a 100 runs in an innings on a pitch your team was skittled for 177 and then 92 will raise if not increase serious self doubts.

Jadeja and Ashwin had good outings in Australia because for the first time in a long time, visiting finger spinners had a very good pace attack backing them. Pace attacks that adapted and worked as a pack I mean (and not individualist endeavours) Add to that their own individual skills as well (Ashwin to Smith if you recollect).

Yes all these are fleeting and I don't think the next crop will even come close to emulating these. But I ain't worried about it right now!

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
News of Bumrah not playing Gabba Test came on 12th Jan

Gabba Test started on 15 th Jan .
I doubt you can change the nature of pitch in 4 days . My fantasy is more correct .
After 2nd Test Aussie curators were asked to make the pitch flat because of fragile Aussie batting line up .
With Australia struggling to score 200 even once in the first 2 Tests and India getting bowled out for 36 in the 1st Test, it made sense to flatten the pitches, especially after India's win in the 2nd Test.

If Australia could rack up big scores like they normally do, India could fall under pressure and against a quality pace attack. It almost worked in the 3rd Test.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Yeah Lyon is a bad spinner .
Let’s remember the good ones : Brad Hogg, Kreza, Beer , Doherty , Hauritz , Mcgain.
Anyone I missed?

Sunil1z

International Regular
With Australia struggling to score 200 even once in the first 2 Tests and India getting bowled out for 36 in the 1st Test, it made sense to flatten the pitches, especially after India's win in the 2nd Test.

If Australia could rack up big scores like they normally do, India could fall under pressure and against a quality pace attack. It almost worked in the 3rd Test.
Please don’t discuss about pitch ?

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
New here.
New here.
Does Fox provide dental?