• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England test tour of Pakistan December 2022

Spark

Global Moderator
Don't have a pace attack at all. Even Afridi is new ball or bust at home. They've been outclassed in terms of reverse by touring pacers twice in a row now. The selections are baffling too and they're a soft bunch on top of that. Glad to have Abrar though. England sent Joe Root as their second spinner and we lost. That's unforgivable.
This is the principal problem. Subcontinent sides don't need amazing gobfuls of talent at home to turn over Aus/England at home if they can exploit their superior knowledge of the conditions and general home advantage. But Pakistan seems to have mentality issues right through the setup which means they can't seem to make use of those natural advantages.

Babar's a rubbish, weak captain too imo although that's way down in the list of things they have to improve on.
If England have proved anything this year IMO it's that quality leadership makes an outsized impact on the fortunes of your side

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh, I can ......

I think the first one was the first time England came here, when Pakistan were still an emergent test side. Other than those two, I think the closest we came to winning a match here was when Pakistan very nearly made a complete mess of chasing 60+ in 1983/84.
Yeah tbf we've only won five and we're a lot better than you guys. Tough place to tour.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Only lost 4 too. Rest are drawn. Bet they were fun series to watch.
1977/78 was the worst ever. Two Packer-reduced sides playing the role of the all too easily resistable forces.
1987/88 had some interesting moments though.

1968/69 was so bad that one test was called off when the crowd rioted. Rough on Alan Knott who had reached 96* before the match had to be called off and, at that stage, hadn't made a test 100.

Fun fact - Imran Khan never played a home test against England.

Last edited:

Aritro

International Regular
Is that Finn on the Sky Sports couch? My God he sounds like a posh ****. So many of them do, but he's a bit extra.

Burgey

Noone can help being Bazballed. Australia trembling
I think the Ashes are in June/ July next year, so a little earlier than usual. I know it never rains there in June, so assuming there's one rain affected draw in July, I'd say Aus will only win it 4-0.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
england fans, this must be not far off australia 2010 and india 2012 right? especially where you consider they've come from following that awful series defeat in the caribbean.

robinson is legit among the best bowlers in the world. the true heir to broad and anderson.

trundler

This is the principal problem. Subcontinent sides don't need amazing gobfuls of talent at home to turn over Aus/England at home if they can exploit their superior knowledge of the conditions and general home advantage. But Pakistan seems to have mentality issues right through the setup which means they can't seem to make use of those natural advantages.
Yep the captaincy doesn't help in that regard too. And we've debuted 1 fewer debutant than England in the last 2 years (which is the second most) despite barely playing any tests. That exacerbates the choking problem. Every time there's a test series they're scrambling for a new attack.

kevinw

International 12th Man
england fans, this must be not far off australia 2010 and india 2012 right? especially where you consider they've come from following that awful series defeat in the caribbean.

robinson is legit among the best bowlers in the world. the true heir to broad and anderson.
It's a great series win but probably not against a vintage Pakistan side short of some key bowlers.

OverratedSanity

Yep the captaincy doesn't help in that regard too. And we've debuted 1 fewer debutant than England in the last 2 years (which is the second most) despite barely playing any tests. That exacerbates the choking problem. Every time there's a test series they're scrambling for a new attack.
Where the **** is Yasir shah BTW?

Burgey

Did I read somewhere early in the thread Yasir Shah has lost form? I mean, even if that's the case, if he's avauilable and you're losing other experienced bowlers, surely you'd play him against a side which histoircally has been clueless against leg spin in the past.

trundler

Where the **** is Yasir shah BTW?
Did I read somewhere early in the thread Yasir Shah has lost form? I mean, even if that's the case, if he's avauilable and you're losing other experienced bowlers, surely you'd play him against a side which histoircally has been clueless against leg spin in the past.
Averaging 50 this season. Terrible case of the yips. Transforms this side at his best.

trundler

Highlights of this stupidly favourable WTC cycle for Pakistan include:

Letting Kemar Roach win a test with the bat.

Letting Australia score a million runs when it reversing by bowling ****e finger spin. Sajid 7.

Losing 8 wickets for 60 runs to hand England the lead after sailing along fairly smoothly for the most part.

Softer than pudding.