• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time Asian-XI

Migara

International Coach
Couple of changes:

Sachin Tendulkar
Sanath Jayasuriya Saeed Anwar
Zaheer Abbas
Virat Kohli
Yuvraj Singh Inzamam Ul Haq
MS Dhoni
Imran Khan
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Muralitharan
Jayasuriya is way ahead as aplayer than Anwar. Very good spinner, light years ahead on the field, and despite averaging bit less, lot more destructive.

Migara

International Coach
Was Inzamam a better ODI bat than Sangakkara, who I think was immense in his last 4 years ?
Inzamam is. Why Sanga gets in to many XI is due to his keepeing. With Dhoni around he tend to be useless in ODI XI.

But in tests Sanga is quite ahead.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Inzamam is. Why Sanga gets in to many XI is due to his keepeing. With Dhoni around he tend to be useless in ODI XI.

But in tests Sanga is quite ahead.
Inzamam ODI WC record is extremely poor for a guy to deserve a place in ASIA XI.

Averaged 23 in 4 World Cups as compared to Sanga who averaged 56.
I give huge weightage to ODI WC record for ODI AT XI.

subshakerz

International Coach
For ODIs:

Jayasuriya
Tendulkar
Kohli
Abbas
Sehwag
Dhoni (wk) (c)
Yuvi
Kapil
Wasim
Murali
Waqar

Fast scoring options in Jaya, Sehwag, Yuvi, Kapil
Solid counter attackers in Kohli and Abbas
Fifth bowling options of Jaya, Yuvi, Sehwag, and Tendulkar

Imran cannot find a spot because he bats too slow and Waqar is a better ODI bowler.

Wanted Aravinda over Abbas but seems wrong for some reason.
Imran was perfectly capable of accelerating down the order as the situation demanded it.

Imran the ODI bowler is pretty underrated like Steyn. Most of his career until his last couple of years he was a worldclass pacer. His averages are misleading actually. He is more like a 23 bowler/28 bat than a 26 bowler/33 bat. I rate him and Kapil fairly evenly.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Yes. If I am taking a odi team, I will go with 4 bowling options and 3 0.5 type bowlers, totaling to 5.5 bowlers.
That is seven bowling options.

I think its fair as most teams adopt that way. But I think that is because most teams, even peak Australia, lacked five quality bowling options capable of each delivering 10 overs.

I think 6 bowling options should be sufficient, 5 full timers plus one part-timer.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Imran was perfectly capable of accelerating down the order as the situation demanded it.

Imran the ODI bowler is pretty underrated like Steyn. Most of his career until his last couple of years he was a worldclass pacer. His averages are misleading actually. He is more like a 23 bowler/28 bat than a 26 bowler/33 bat. I rate him and Kapil fairly evenly.
Fair. But I would much rather have Yuvi/Dhoni at 7 than him. No disrespect to Imran. Just doesn't fit the balance.

subshakerz

International Coach
Surprised at not much support for Rohit as opener compared to Jayasuria. You would think three doubletons would give you more cred.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yes, but I really like part-timers coming together to bowl 10 overs. To me that is what ODIs are. So I have Yuvi, Jayasuriya, Tendulkar and Sehwag combining to bowl 10-15 overs.
Is the idea that after four full time bowlers, it is overkill to have a fifth?

If the Asia XI is facing an equally strong XI, would these part timers just be taken apart? Especially if it's not in the SC.

subshakerz

International Coach
Just obviously worse than Murali unless you want to be a hipster about it IMO. Wanna pick two spinners then go for it I guess.
Except Saqlain at least ended up with worldclass figures so him in the lineup doesn't seem off, tho I prefer Murali.

But De Silva's averages 34. He was great for a spell in the 90s but there are at least 3-4 better candidates for that middle order spot.