• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand in India Nov-Dec 2021 Thread***

Athlai

Not Terrible
Mt Maunganui too
Yeah fair call. Its great to see him step up right around when we will probably see Wagner hang up the boots.

Will be interesting to see if we get anymore Test standard bowlers beyond that soon, the batting stocks are far more positive imo.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah fair call. Its great to see him step up right around when we will probably see Wagner hang up the boots.

Will be interesting to see if we get anymore Test standard bowlers beyond that soon, the batting stocks are far more positive imo.
Hmm, I'm more dubious on the batting stocks than the bowlers. Ferguson, Henry, Duffy and Sears are all test level talents. Spin behind Ajaz is a problem, because I don't think Rippon or whoever is the answer but it's almost impossible to judge spinners on Shield decks. Ajaz stands out for actually taking wickets on them at a healthy rate.

Flem274*

123/5
Indian fans must be impressed with the character of their junior batsmen, and find it refreshing from the Doom 3. I know Agarwal has had his struggles, as has Gill, and Iyer had his doubters, and maybe they will unravel on tour or in future home tests but despite several big wobbles ( the recovery from 51/5 was the turning point in the series imo) they got through.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Rippon is promising but we are NZ. Ajaz is our first Test spinner that could actually win a match since Vettori Mk 1

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Hard to believe. He had a former test player comparing him to Graeme Pollock when he was 19 and predicting he would be in the test team within a year or so.

interesting article there Hogan(if i may call you that)
South Africa really missed a trick there, their loss is our gain.
Speaking of Hogan, when I was 9 years old I was fortunate enough to have lessons from him at Aucklands Cornwall cricket club.
He was 18 or 19 and just on the verge of making the NZ team.
RIP the great one.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
I'll never stop being mad about that missing slip.
Most slip catches go to first slip in my history of watching and playing cricket
Often with the blackcaps and my senior men’s teams when we only had one slip he would take it upon himself to hedge bets by standing at second or third slip to cover more of the slip area. While being a bone head is excusable in club cricket not understanding that most catches go to first slip is unacceptable for an internatonal team.
In all these cases the captain isn’t consulted as the slipper just repositions himself to third slip ass as he feels “ empowered “

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Most slip catches go to first slip in my history of watching and playing cricket
Often with the blackcaps and my senior men’s teams when we only had one slip he would take it upon himself to hedge bets by standing at second or third slip to cover more of the slip area. While being a bone head is excusable in club cricket not understanding that most catches go to first slip is unacceptable for an internatonal team.
In all these cases the captain isn’t consulted as the slipper just repositions himself to third slip ass as he feels “ empowered “
It's a slow deck thing. Quick deck nicks go finer, slower deck nicks go wider as a rule. Just an unfortunate occurrence that time

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Team of the series

1 Latham
2 Mayank
3 Kane ( no one at number three or four shone so went with incumbents)
4 Kohli
5 Shreyas
6 Ravindra Rachin other ravindra unlucky
7 Saha
8 Ashwin
9 axar Patel
10 Ajaz Patel
11 Southee

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It’s meant to have some statistical analysis behind it. Generally speaking edges in the sub continent tend to be a bit thicker because of the lower levels of lateral movement. The 1st test v Pakistan in 2018 was a classic example with Taylor snapping up a thick edge from a wagner delivery at 1.5 slip.

The thing that obviously wasn’t factored in this case was how much swing Southee was generating. Made a more orthodox 2 slips and a gully the go to.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm disappointed that this is the first full day of cricket I'll get to watch this series :(
I'm afraid to say if that's the case, you need to choose your days much more carefully.
Or better yet get your priorities in order!
BTW your eyes really freak me out man.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
It's a slow deck thing. Quick deck nicks go finer, slower deck nicks go wider as a rule. Just an unfortunate occurrence that time
You and only two or three others on this site have played better cricket so I will stand down.
I will reposition my post to say my personal preference given one slip is to have the Kent stand at 1st slip. Too much of a burn when you stand him
at third and it goes to first instead.
Would go with that guideline regardless of pitch conditions
However happy to be corrected and concede this point :)

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thought overall this was a really engrossing series and a nice advert for the format up until the end of day 2 when india refused to enforce the follow on. Became a bit of a slog to sit through after that. Still great to watch overall after the endless gully cricket season.

Iyer and mayank both played great knocks, have my doubts about how they'll go in SA. In fact I'm pretty sure how they'll go. But anything is an improvement on rahane atm. My biggest hope from the test is that the selectors realise Siraj is better than ishant and Shami . Its been obvious to basically anyone watching for a while now but the selectors haven't caught up yet. He has A tour experience in SA conditions and should be the first choice pacer with Bumrah.

From a nz perspective, I came into the series hearing about how Latham has made his career on lots of soft runs but he was seriously impressive. Not easy being a left hander in India and even though ashwin did predictably get him several times again he did way better than I expected. Would've loved seeing how Conway would've handled ashwin too, shame so many top players were missing for both teams.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From a nz perspective, I came into the series hearing about how Latham has made his career on lots of soft runs but he was seriously impressive.
First test, yes, but we really needed him to stand up again in the second - even a couple of 20s or 30s would have provided us with a bit of a foundation. Unfortunately it ended up being one of the worst matches of his whole career.