• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Averaging 35 will be accepted again

Flem274*

123/5
Before the 00s batting bubble the border between test class and see ya later was a batting average around 35 or so. Loads of guys had long and respected careers whose batting averages settled in the 30s by retirement. Mike Atherton, Nasser Hussain, Hansie Cronje, Stephen Fleming (in the 90s)...all examples of instant picks for their sides despite career averages that get you very dropped in 2006.

40 became the new 35 in the new millennium. Pitches became more homogeneous around the world as "green top" and "turner" became swearwords. The dominance of pace bowling, which had made a great leap forward in terms of consistent quality between the 70s to the 90s, stalled. The spinners did complete their return to relevance, which is nice for them I guess.

I'm not going to go into the why of it much because that would make a punishing effortpost even more punishing. Suffice to say most teams were not very good at keeping their best bowlers fit in the 00s and batsmen did actually improve on average, imo.

Anyway, the correction to normal began around 2010ish and violently so from 2018 onwards. In my book the main contributors are DRS spelling out leg stump exists, more variety in pitches worldwide and improved bowler management compared to the 2000s creating a production line of good attacks around the world with strong depth and competition for places. Umesh Yadav and Lockie Ferguson in particular are good individual examples of the wider trend - they would play every test for their sides in 2001.

Spark raised an interesting point the other day which I wanted to look into because my gut feeling disagreed - he suggested the good tier of test batsman was looking thin. I went and looked at batsmen in the top 7 since 2018. I filtered by 500 runs instead of 1000 because 1000 excludes a lot of players who comfortably make their sides like Mohammad Rizwan and I get a kick out of seeing Sean Williams at the top, but here is the list with the 1000 run qualifier (which inadvertently excludes the smallest sides unfortunately).

I'm going to define the good tier as an average between 40 and 45. Both lists imply the same - only 6 of 78 (or 3 of 37) test batsmen average between 40 and 44.99 from 2018 to now. They are Mushfiqur Rahim, Abid Ali, Mohammad Rizwan, Mominul Haque, Tamim Iqbal and Rishabh Pant. They are predominantly from Bangladesh and predominantly wicketkeepers. It's unfair, but most of these guys are a bit out of the way of the mainstream, which makes the torch Spark's observation shines on test batting even harsher. There are several guys just outside those boundaries, but overall Spark is correct.

I think this will correct itself by 2030, but teams have to get by in the meantime and adjust expectations accordingly. If you have a good bowling attack (and you really should) then you know you can defend scores below 500. 500 is matchwinning. 300 is probably par now rather than 400.

There are 18 of 78 (13 of 37) batsmen averaging 45+ and 19 of 78 (9 of 37) batsmen averaging between 35 to 39.99. Throughout almost all of cricketing history, that's fine. The number of test standard batsmen hasn't changed all that much despite the hole in the middle Spark notes, but our expectations did.

35 is back, and personally I hope it's here to stay. Just not in my team please. I like this whole actually good thing. England though, you and India can suck at batting until the end of time please and thank you.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That chart I think says a lot. The elite bats are still awesome, but the second tier is pretty poorly defined. In contrast looking at the bowling figures in that time....

18 bowlers with averages under 25, with Hazlewood, Boult and Shaheen just missing out. Definitely in a golden age of quick bowling. Let's hope things remain that way!

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cummins with the most wickets at the second best average in one of the hardest places to bowl. Love it.

Flem274*

123/5
Cummins with the most wickets at the second best average in one of the hardest places to bowl. Love it.
I think adjusting that list to away averages shows it better. Since this is such a strong bowling era it devalues individual bowlers since there's always another guy who can take your job right now, I thought it would be interesting to see who was truly indispensable.

I expected Cummins, Bumrah and Anderson's recent history to put them high up there and they are, but say hello to bids for the crown from Southee, Ishant and Suranga Lakmal(!). Lakmal is storming in from absolutely nowhere on Morgies list.

Shares in Phlegm Inc. looking shaky following recent Lakmal performances. CEO Phlegm69420 responds by claiming it proves NZ Hawke Cup is test standard. Phlegm Inc. would also like everyone to observe the list proves Ajaz > Ashwin.

It's also an interesting list because despite me lowering the entry criteria to 25 wickets (you have to play in some very long series to take 50 wickets away from home in 4 years now), only 9 names make it to the sub-25 average and those include the Pakistani boys who I cbf filtering their true away averages.

Then of course we have a couple of tall young blokes averaging 14 and 17 respectively and making their senior partners Southee and Anderson look like equal partners.

StephenZA

Cronje is not a good choice here... he was a serviceable Test player at best. SA lacked any real quality batting in their return. We just had many allrounders and batted deep. Cullinan was good, but underperformed for his ability. G. Kirsten was the first decent test bat on return and he averaged 45.

Test teams relying on players avg <40 in modern cricket are going to lose more than win. Sometimes you will have a youngster still finding his feet but if you are selecting players in your top 6 that won't likely avg > 40 in a career, international teams will be in trouble. You can maybe get away with one that will produce a special innings on occasion, and you bat deep enough. But your top 6 should all be able to avg > 40 and that is just not the case at the moment in world cricket.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah my view is that the 2000-early 10s era of batting is highly anomalous but it's warped the expectations of all of us who grew up in that era (which would be a big chunk of this website, I suspect) and made us realise that averaging 40-45 is very solid at Test level, 45-50 is a long-term bedrock of your team and consistent 50+ over a full career on real pitches (i.e. not mid-00s SSC or mid-10s WACA) against good bowlers is outstanding. You shouldn't rely on players who average, like, 38, but you likely won't have much of a choice but to pick a few of them and stability is underrated as an attribute of a Test lineup. Test batting against this level of bowling is really, really hard and being able to discriminate servicable vs good vs great is a very good thing about current-day cricket. Though that doesn't mean you should tolerate Bairstow-level mediocrity for 70 Tests or so.

trundler

But your top 6 should all be able to avg > 40 and that is just not the case at the moment in world cricket.
How often does this happen though? Peak Australia aside, almost never I'd guess. Even 80s WI put up with Hooper and Logie, 1948 Australia had *checks notes* Sam Loxton. Probably worth mentioning that peak Australia carried Lee for 70 tests and guys like Nel and Zaheer were the premier bowlers of the age.

morgieb

How often does this happen though? Peak Australia aside, almost never I'd guess. Even 80s WI put up with Hooper and Logie, 1948 Australia had *checks notes* Sam Loxton. Probably worth mentioning that peak Australia carried Lee for 70 tests and guys like Nel and Zaheer were the premier bowlers of the age.
I think India had Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly for a little while. Would Smith-era South Africa have gone close?

stephen

Yep, early 00s were an anomaly. Growing up a batsman averaging 40+ was generally considered to be excellent. 50+ was exceptional. The 00s Australian team (and to a lesser extent the Indian side) changed that perception, but even the dominant WIndies sides didn't have more than one 50+ averaging batsman at a time.

stephen

I think India had Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly for a little while. Would Smith-era South Africa have gone close?
Smith, Amla, De Villiers and Kallis would have been close to 50+ at the same time.

morgieb

Actually late 70's WIndies had Greenidge, Haynes, Richards, Lloyd, Kallicharan and Rowe, that's 6 bats with averages over 40.

trundler

Those are good calls but India 2000s is a bit chicken and egg, isn't it? Gambhir and Ganguly just scraped above in the easiest era. SA usually had a decent jobber like Alviro Petersen opening with Smith, from memory.

It's rare enough even without scrutiny though. Definitely don't think 6 guys who all average over 40 is an expectation, rather than a benchmark teams should aspire to.