• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics

cnerd123

likes this
Yeah I think you'd get a ton of complaints from traditionalists if you forced everything to be on synthetic pitches. Can't imagine the subcontinent boards would be keen on that.
yea agreed, and that's why I think if cricket is in the Olympics it should be without any of the full-member sides. Associates are the ones who would benefit the most from it anyways. Increased funding and exposure, and they won't mind playing on synthetic surfaces.

Not sure how the IOC would feel about that tho.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yea agreed, and that's why I think if cricket is in the Olympics it should be without any of the full-member sides. Associates are the ones who would benefit the most from it anyways. Increased funding and exposure, and they won't mind playing on synthetic surfaces.

India's one chance at a medal and you propose this

Spark

Global Moderator

I mean I get where you're coming from but that instantly makes it a complete non-starter. The ICC is the IOC-recognised organisation that has to greenlight any attempt to get cricket into the Olympics and the ICC is for all intents and purposes the consolidated interests of the full members (three in particular).

cnerd123

likes this
India's one chance at a medal and you propose this
Good chance for HK to win another medal tho. Singapore might finally win one as well.

I mean I get where you're coming from but that instantly makes it a complete non-starter. The ICC is the IOC-recognised organisation that has to greenlight any attempt to get cricket into the Olympics and the ICC is for all intents and purposes the consolidated interests of the full members (three in particular).
You're being a bit cynical but yea that's likely to be the stumbling block. But if you think about it, that's the ideal way to have cricket as an Olympic sport without having to worry about how it impacts the international calendar. Just sign off on it and let all the teams who fail to qualify for the WT20 chase Olympic gold instead. Proper win-win solution.

Realistically they'll probably sign off on a football-style U23 team comp, with Associates making up the numbers through some convoluted qualification process. The games won't get T20I status and so synthetic pitches will be accepted if needed.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Aren't there only 12 teams in the sevens?

In terms of fitting it into international calendar, couldn't it replace one of the t20 wcs given there are two of those per four year cycle

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Bronze for Straya

It's in the road cycling so all the people wishing to drive a monster truck at cyclists must be conflicted right now

Howe_zat

Audio File
Nothing in the road cycling for GB and a dissapointing day at rowing, and combined with some new wins in the pool this GB team have ended up avoiding some traditional stereotypes.

Still up for a chance at gold in dressage today apperently, so there's still some oppertunity to claim our place as world class seated olympians.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
16 team U23s ODIs would be my suggestion. Serious enough to sell proper cricket to the world but not necessarily interfering with IPL and the other money leagues.