• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 30 batsmen of the modern era (1990s -Current)

srbhkshk

International Captain
How would it be fair if I compulsorily included the first 1 or 2 years for current players when the guys we are ranking them against had the benefit of not having to include them?
Your methodology is fine - as a statistical exercise that involves some judgement calls - it will always be the case that some will disagree. Continue anyway - it's good work so far.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So if they were so good, why they could not crack in to the team? The sentence itself is a contradiction. The players are not picked because the selectors believe they cannot replace the current players, despite being at the form of their life. If somebody was averaging 75+ in FCC, no matter how strong the team is, there is room for such players, unless they have glaring technical deficiencies / petty politics.
It's a simple concept. Team strong. Couldn't get in team. If team was weaker they could have got in. I think you're deliberately misunderstanding

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How would it be fair if I compulsorily included the first 1 or 2 years for current players when the guys we are ranking them against had the benefit of not having to include them?
I don't think either way would be more fair than the other. It's just a choice that you made that favours some players over others, just like all the others like longevity factor and penalising not outs.
Also not everyone has to agree with your choices for it to be a meaningful exercise. As others have said, it's valuable regardless

Slifer

International Captain
I feel Lara would highly benefit from his methodology because of his RPI . His number of not outs were very low.
Which begs the question (I'm too lazy), what would Lara's average be if he had the same ratio of not outs as Sachin??

Kirkut

International Regular
In DoG's batsmen ranking, Kohli came up one spot above Dravid. Kohli has been quite average since so quite justified that this ranking puts him below Dravid
Kohli beats Dravid when it comes to facing raw pace on bouncy roads, otherwise the skill gap is massive when comparing the ability to play spin and lateral movement.

Slifer

International Captain
Let's see Sachin batted in 332 innings and had 33 not outs or roughly one every 10 innings. Lara batted in 232 innings. So let's say he had 23 not outs. 11,953 ÷ 209=57.19.

Would we look at Lara any different?? I'm guessing yes. I sure would have....And bearing in mind the amount of not outs his teammate Chanders had, it's not a stretch to say that Lara could've had a lot more not out innings than he had.