• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 Greatest Fast Bowlers of All Time in Tests?

Slifer

International Captain
I'm no Lillee fan, far from it but the guy was probably the first great modern bowler. And the fact of the matter is, the likes of Hadlee, Marshall, Imran etc learned the tools of their trade from Lillee. Lillee imo is like the bowling version of Viv. Viv statistically doesn't really stand out but the man (like Lillee) was box office.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Yes but the main culprit here will say you need to be proven on all types of surface, leave out Lillee on that basis, and then include that ubiquitous globe trotter Harold Larwood in those just outside the top 10.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
You're a complete and utter moron if you dont think Lillee is a top ten all time quick. At the VERY LEAST he belongs in the conversation of the top ten of all time.

If you hold this opinion, you clearly know nothing about cricket, and nothing you say should ever be taken seriously, ever again.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
You're a complete and utter moron if you dont think Lillee is a top ten all time quick. At the VERY LEAST he belongs in the conversation of the top ten of all time.

If you hold this opinion, you clearly know nothing about cricket, and nothing you say should ever be taken seriously, ever again.
To be fair nothing Migara has posted in the past 14 years has ever been taken seriously.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely it is ok to rate Lillee as an ATG but also understand that the guys who did do great in the SC are probably gonna be rated ahead of him on performances - guys like McGrath, Steyn etc.
More than fair, likewise ok to rate subcontinent performances but also understand that to a lot of people they are largely irrelevant in the context of Denis Lillee.

It is of course understandable that someone from the subcontinent would consider playing there to be important in this context. Bit like Burgey not rating spinners that don't do well in Australia.

Ship sailed for Migara on that front a long time ago

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
1.Marshall
2.Hadlee
3.Mcgrath
4.Ambrose
5.Steyn
6.Garner
7.Donald
8.Trueman
9.Imran
10.Lillee

Another 5

11.Wasim
12.Waqar
13.Holding
14.Pollock
15.Walsh

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I wont mind putting Lillee below any of the other 14 there tbh. And it depends on how you define ATG. It is perfectly ok to have a stricter definition of maybe only the top 10 ever are ATG etc.

Burgey

conveniently not touring India
This is pig ignorant on your part. Aus toured India once during Lillee's career, in 79-80 when WSC players weren't selected. Players didn't avoid India because it was difficult to win there in the 70s ffs.

Last edited:

Burgey

More than fair, likewise ok to rate subcontinent performances but also understand that to a lot of people they are largely irrelevant in the context of Denis Lillee.

It is of course understandable that someone from the subcontinent would consider playing there to be important in this context. Bit like Burgey not rating spinners that don't do well in Australia.

Ship sailed for Migara on that front a long time ago
This is also why I rate Gavaskar below other openers who sit in the AT category. Averaged 17 here in the only series he played vs a full strength attack. I usually wouldn't hold it against him given it's so small a sample size, but if Lillee's no good because of four tests in Pakistan and SL, then Gavaskar must be marked down on the same basis. In fairness, I should probably add his stats vs Aus for the ROW in 71/72 when he averaged a hefty 28, if you want to take the sample size out to eight "tests."

Burgey

I wont mind putting Lillee below any of the other 14 there tbh. And it depends on how you define ATG. It is perfectly ok to have a stricter definition of maybe only the top 10 ever are ATG etc.
I don't know how you could rate Dennis Lillee below Allan Donald, Shaun Pollock or Courtney Walsh tbh. But it's always subjective

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't know how you could rate Dennis Lillee below Allan Donald, Shaun Pollock or Courtney Walsh tbh. But it's always subjective
TBH, I try to not rate folks I have not watched, as in not rate them at all on a relative scale. But I can see that it is possible for someone to rate those guys above Lillee going by the numbers alone.

But the point is there is a group of 15 bowlers there and he can literally be anywhere on that list depending on how you rate your players. I do think he wont make a top 10 all time seamers but get into the top 15 but knowing I did not see him play, I also understand this is just me rating his stats than his actual skills or performance.

Burgey

TBH, I try to not rate folks I have not watched, as in not rate them at all on a relative scale. But I can see that it is possible for someone to rate those guys above Lillee going by the numbers alone.

But the point is there is a group of 15 bowlers there and he can literally be anywhere on that list depending on how you rate your players. I do think he wont make a top 10 all time seamers but get into the top 15 but knowing I did not see him play, I also understand this is just me rating his stats than his actual skills or performance.
Yeah this is a fair enough approach tbh. We aren't comparing spuds here. You end up splitting hairs with players who are all so good.

bagapath

International Captain
46 fast bowlers have taken 200+ wickets. trying to figure out what was their frequency of taking 4 wickets or more in an innings to understand how often they played a big part in bowling out the opposition. obviously, there may be occasions when they got the tendulkar and Lara of the opposition out and ended with only those two wickets. which would be more valuable than getting four tailenders. but, hey, I am starting somewhere....
1623392724202.png