• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden's Greatest ODI Players of each decade

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The ODI ATG type threads never go well but this has exceeded expectations.

- Bevan over/underrating
- Murali chucker
- Cheating Australian bias/sensitivity
- Migara defensiveness
- sunilz trolling
- Burgey's obsession with WC finals

All in less than 24 hours

Just need Stephen to suggest Symonds as a 5th bowler and PFK to bring up Kapil's batting SR and we'd have ticked all the boxes.
Hey, Symonds as fifth bowler is my thing!

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Next 4 Names must be from
Dhoni vs Gilly
Garner vs Mcgrath
Saqlain vs Murali
Kapil Vs Klusner
It's not the case at all really. You need to fill a keeper, 5 bowlers, batting down to (at least) 8, a finisher and a lower orders hitter. Pick one player on your list and other players become automatic selections or are excluded from selection.

For example, if you go with Gilchrist opening, you're probably going to pick Klusener or Kapil to bat 7, but if you pick Dhoni, then you could pick Jayasuriya to open which frees you up to pick Symonds at 7.

Or you could pick Pollock at 7 with Wasim at 8 and Hadlee at 9 and you have a gun core pace attack and enough batting to cover it, with a spinner at 10/11 and Garner holding the other spot. You can then take Gilchrist and Bevan or Lara and Dhoni or even someone like Rohit and Buttler.

Fact is that in ODI selection, each selection needs to either be best or second best in class, or perform two jobs. Tendulkar - best in class (opener), Richards - best in class (#3), de Villiers - best in class (middle order) etc...

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
It's not the case at all really. You need to fill a keeper, 5 bowlers, batting down to (at least) 8, a finisher and a lower orders hitter. Pick one player on your list and other players become automatic selections or are excluded from selection.

For example, if you go with Gilchrist opening, you're probably going to pick Klusener or Kapil to bat 7, but if you pick Dhoni, then you could pick Jayasuriya to open which frees you up to pick Symonds at 7.

Or you could pick Pollock at 7 with Wasim at 8 and Hadlee at 9 and you have a gun core pace attack and enough batting to cover it, with a spinner at 10/11 and Garner holding the other spot. You can then take Gilchrist and Bevan or Lara and Dhoni or even someone like Rohit and Buttler.

Fact is that in ODI selection, each selection needs to either be best or second best in class, or perform two jobs. Tendulkar - best in class (opener), Richards - best in class (#3), de Villiers - best in class (middle order) etc...
I do understand your point, but in my view Jaya+Symonds instead of Kapil is diluting the bowling strength ( I strongly believe Kapil is an automatic selection at number 7, even Klusner is a weak 5th bowler for an alltime 11)

Hadlee batting below Pollock can be justifed with Stats, but Akram above Hadlee doesn't make sense.

Hadlee, Pollock and Akram at 7, 8 and 9 is not a bad idea, but Kapil at 7 is a far more frightening sight for opponents.. Kapil was capable of winning matches single handedly.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I'd be tempted to have Jayasuriya opening (5th bowler) with Viv as 6th bowler. Then pick Hussey at no 7.
Tendulkar, Jayasuriya, Viv, Kohli, ABDV, Dhoni, Hussey, Hadlee, Wasim/Starc, Garner, Murali

stephen

FTR my AT XI is:

Tendulkar
Gilchrist+
Richards
Kohli
De Villiers
Bevan
Klusener
Wasim
Warne
Garner
McGrath

Red

Tendulkar
Gilchrist +
Richards
Kohli
ABDV
Symonds
Kapil
Wasim
Warne
Garner
McGrath

Red

Jayasuriya
Sharma
Ponting
Jones
Shakib
Hussey
Dhoni +
Klusener
Pollock
Ambrose
Donald

Flem274*

123/5
i can get behind this train of jayasuriya love

jayasuriya
tendulkar
viv
abdv
bevan
dhoni
shakib
flintoff
starc
garner
mcgrath

best i've witnessed

jayasuriya
tendulkar
ponting
abdv
bevan
dhoni
shakib
flintoff
starc
bond
mcgrath

stephen

Aggressive XI

Gilchrist
Jayasuriya
Richards
De Villiers
Symonds
Buttler
Kapil
Starc
Warne
Waqar
Lee

Migara

International Coach
Aggressive XI

Gilchrist
Jayasuriya
Richards
De Villiers
Symonds
Buttler
Kapil
Starc
Warne
Waqar
Lee
Saqlain and Qadir were much more aggressive in ODI game than Warne. However Mendis tops them all in aggressiveness.

Migara

International Coach
ATG XI

Jayasuriya*
Tendulkar
Richards
Kohli
ABDV
Dhoni+
Klusener
Akram
Lee
Murali
McGrath

Alternate XI

Gilchrist
Sharma
Abbas
Lara
Inzamam
Bevan
Kapil
Pollock
Garner
Saqlain
Waqar

Gob

International Coach
ATG XI

Jayasuriya*
Tendulkar
Richards
Kohli
ABDV
Dhoni+
Klusener
Akram
Lee
Murali
McGrath

Alternate XI

Gilchrist
Sharma
Abbas
Lara
Inzamam
Bevan
Kapil
Pollock
Garner
Saqlain
Waqar
Glad someone identifying the greatness of Brett Lee

Hayden
Tendulkar
Richards
Kohli
DeVilliers
Dhoni c wk
Chris Harris (Flintoff if chris isn't fit enough)
Wasim
Malinga
Muralidaran
McGrath

2nds

Gilchrist wk
Watson
Ponting c
De Silva
Symonds
Bevan
Klusener
Pollock
Warne
Lee
Bond

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The irony of Flintoff coming into a team because someone else isn't fit enough is not lost on me.

Absence of Garner from either team something of a travesty imho

Gob

International Coach
The irony of Flintoff coming into a team because someone else isn't fit enough is not lost on me.
Have you seen Chris Harris bowl? He takes the pace off so much the batsmen usually take a break, go out, have couple of drinks, text their toxic ex and reflect on their life from the time the ball left his hand to arriving at them but when it does, they are too late.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I saw him bowl live a number of times. He was slow as a wet week, but he wasn't unfit. Also a far better fielder than many, including Flintoff.

Flintoff gets a gig as an England atg, but I mean, so what really? They've basically been awful for all but four years of ODI cricket since 1971. He was also pretty ordinary against the best team of his era.