• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah though tbh being a good bloke is pretty much the least important variable in being a captain. I get it’s what they want right now but long term the public won’t cop losing with a smile. And nor should they, losing is not acceptable We aren’t england.
I actually think he will be decent tactically though. And he might actually make some of these blokes better players. The way he plays the game is just so good.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That is an interesting question. I think not rotating the strike helped them indirectly since they could get to face a specific bowler for few overs on the trot, for example Vihari facing Starc for 5 overs straight. If they rotated the strike, then Vihari had to face Lyon and make adjustments to his batting.
Usually rotating the strike helps the batting team, not the bowling team....

In fact, that’s one of the major downsides of not rotating strike. Gives the bowler a chance to really build and execute plans and hone in to the correct lines and lengths.

Kirkut

International Regular

In fact, that’s one of the major downsides of not rotating strikes. Gives the bowler a chance to really build and execute plans and hone in to the correct lines and lengths.
I meant since both were in survival mode, they went ahead with the most risk free strategy. It was obvious that both were injured and there was no strike rotation virtually, but had Ashwin faced 2 back to back overs from Starc, he could have probably got out and exposed the tail completely.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

In fact, that’s one of the major downsides of not rotating strike. Gives the bowler a chance to really build and execute plans and hone in to the correct lines and lengths.
It just depends on the batsmen. Vihari was right to take the quicks after that over where Ashwin was nearly bounced out three times, and Ashwin was playing Lyon pretty well, which meant Vihari didn’t have to stretch forward on his dodgy hammy. They played it very smart.

Window

U19 Debutant
It just depends on the batsmen. Vihari was right to take the quicks after that over where Ashwin was nearly bounced out three times, and Ashwin was playing Lyon pretty well, which meant Vihari didn’t have to stretch forward on his dodgy hammy. They played it very smart.
Yeah this is what I meant when Vihari should farm/keep the strike against the pacers after those couple of overs when Ashwin got hit. They did a good job in doing that later on.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
This is always hard to do when it's so fresh but for the Indian fans: where does this rank? Surely the most impressive draw in Indian history?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah this is what I meant when Vihari should farm/keep the strike against the pacers after those couple of overs when Ashwin got hit. They did a good job in doing that later on.
Tbh I generally agree with rotating the strike, especially as an opener, but I used to occasionally not want to do it. Usually it was when one of the bowlers was markedly faster than the other and I was at the non strikers end :ph34r:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cummins could actually be the real "good guy" captain IMO. Seems a great bloke. Paine looks like a guy who tries to smuggle some of his ****tiness under the hood of a "good guy" image while Hazlewood and Lyon just come across as rather ****e guys. Starc seems to be a nice guy who has been told for the last 6 years that he should not be one. Cummins kinda stands out. Warner and Smith is too risky to go back to, again. Labu is too green and others are not even established.
I met Cummins at a practice ODI before the last world cup. My daughter, who was 4 or 5 at the time was getting autographs. Cummins was fielding on the boundary and not only was he happy to sign, he genuinely tried to engage her and make her feel special.

He seems so nice that he's probably as nice as the kiwis think they are.

stephen

So rain forecast at Brisbane ?
It's basically been stop start rain since mid December here. Genuinely have had half a dozen days over 30 this summer. Last summer you wouldn't have had that many days under 30 by this point.

We'll still get most of a game in since none of the rain has been set in and most of it has been at night or early morning. The ball might move a bit in the air with the humidity and wind though and the cloud cover might be a factor.

stephen

That was a great game of cricket.

It was likely the roadiest pitch we'll get out of the four. Only 27 or 28 wickets fell to bowlers in the match and at least two of them were batsmen throwing the bat (Green and Pant).

I've been extremely impressed with India's fight on this tour. They've worked very hard and largely played good cricket, especially since the 36ao. Ashwin has probably been the player who has most exceeded expectations, both with ball and bat. But Jadeja has been wonderful and Gill has been a revelation.