• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

Spark

Global Moderator
I suspect it just broke because of the bat swing obscuring the ball. But yeah that one's clearly wrong.

Burner

International Regular
Would have been hilarious though if it had hit enough of the stumps to overturn the decision

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IDK about that. Certainly commentary on the game implies it became more ingrained over his time in charge—and certainly more rationalised and defended as being part-and-parcel of the game. There are some forerunners, most notably Ian Chappell's side. Hughes is the first bowler I've seen filmed throwing the ball back at the batsmen for a 'run-out', i.e. a poorly disguised attempt to hit the ball at the batsma: both he and Waugh made their debuts the same season. The West Indies did the intimidatory bowling thing (again, umpires not doing their jobs). Go back two decades from Waugh's debut however, and we were temporarily captained by Brain Booth, who harshly criticised the conduct of Waugh's side and compared their conduct very unfavourably with that when he played. Heine, Adcock and Gilchrist are the only people from the post-war–to–70s era really known for it. Waugh's side was, AFAIK, much more criticised for sledging, abuse, etc., than preceding ones, so it must have hit new highs to say the least. IMO, it was more specifically an Australian thing than anyone else (SA being closest I think, although that view may be skewed by images of Donald's screaming), but like everything, **** quickly becomes normalised elsewhere.
The conduct of Waugh’s side in general (which I have long said was ordinary and far worse than under Ponting who copped a worse ragging for it) is a different question entirely to the “this is test cricket” attitude to intimidatory bowling. Which is something which was around for ages.

I mean the Windies used to say that if you wanted to drive, buy a Toyota; Snow sconed Jenner in 71 in Sydney leading to the walk off; Lindwall hit Tyson in 54/55; the SA side in the 50s and 60s were ruthless about it too. Then there was Bodyline and Gregory & McDonald who bore it up the Poms post WWI. This isn’t a new thing at all.

cnerd123

likes this
This tour is getting a very 74/75 vibe to it from an injury pov. Been brutal
Not just this one. Players are dropping like flies everywhere. Guess this was bound to happen coming out of lockdown. Everyone's match fitness levels are down, and lots of players getting hit by the ball due to being rusty.