• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ah ok, trust that idiot Sharma and his Mumbai cronies to conjure up a controversy out of nowhere then.

Also the whinge about playing QLD under revised conditions make no sense if same applies to Aus as well. Looks to me like soft pressure put on CA to go easy on Samosagate
As an example, there was speculation Warner may play the second Test, but it was squashed when it was revealed he'd visited family and begun his rehab at home, meaning he wasn't allowed to re-enter the bubble until he went through quarantine again.

As it turned out I don't think he was fit anyway, but they seem to have the same restrictions.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
For a moment I thought I was in Twitter.

Are Aussie players also kept in same bubble and subject to same restrictions- ie not meet with family and restricted to room service etc? If yes, then I completely agree that Rohit Sharma & Co. has ****ed up big time.
I don't know if the details of precisely how the bubbles function have ever been released, but there's a fair few things that can be inferred from the reporting - there's been a few articles on bubble fatigue over the past couple of weeks:

My understanding is that Australian players are under the same bubble restrictions as India, but obviously being a home series it's easier for them to leave and rejoin the bubble (e.g. the absences of Warner and Starc throughout). Sounds like it's also possible for them to get family into the bubble. From memory when the Adelaide restrictions came in mid-Test, Starc was saved on the basis of having to do a three-day at-home isolation before rejoining the bubble.

The restrictions were described as being looser in Adelaide and Melbourne, and they sound similar to the BBL bubble rules (which came into focus with the Lawrence/Lynn breach in Canberra - which was also indoor dining from memorywhich was selfie-related). Notably, Lynn and Lawrence played the match the following night but did have to isolate off-field and social distance on-field iirc (and were fined heavily).

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thought I saw something about some of the Aus players hanging out with their families after the last test on-ground? Although it may have just been Burns.

Spark

Global Moderator
Thought I saw something about some of the Aus players hanging out with their families after the last test on-ground? Although it may have just been Burns.
I believe Smith said something about how the original plan was to be able to meet up with their families over the Christmas break but the Avalon outbreak meant they couldn't do that.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Fair dinkum. Home isolation isn't a big deal, that's the point of touring - opposition gets to stay at home while you stay in hotels. But as long as other rules apply equally - ie, recreation, dining out, etc.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Notably, Lynn and Lawrence played the match the following night but did have to isolate off-field and social distance on-field iirc (and were fined heavily).
Was that the comical match where Lynn couldn’t go into a team huddle after a wicket and had to scream tactics to his bowlers from about 20 metres away so the batsmen could hear everything he was saying?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I believe Smith said something about how the original plan was to be able to meet up with their families over the Christmas break but the Avalon outbreak meant they couldn't do that.
Yeah, in one of those million SMH articles about bio-bubbles they pointed out that Smith hadn't seen his wife in ~4 months, the Christmas thing got cancelled after the Avalon outbreak, but they got to see each other briefly on NYE. I'm only speculating here, but I assume his wife had to do the three day at home isolation thing post-Christmas to get into the bubble, and has since left for whatever reason). Marnus has had his wife with him the whole time, by the sounds of things, and based on the Starc article it sounds like Alyssa Healy has been in the bubble at some point.

Fair dinkum. Home isolation isn't a big deal, that's the point of touring - opposition gets to stay at home while you stay in hotels. But as long as other rules apply equally - ie, recreation, dining out, etc.
Yeah, the other rules would be applying equally. Again, only speculating here but if the Adelaide/Melbourne bubble rules are like the BBL ones it sounds like outdoor dining and most outdoor activities are fine (during Moises' brief spell out of the Test bubble and into the BBL bubble he did an on-air interview talking about how he was going to play some golf), and some of the SMH coverage of the Indian breach talked about click-and-collect shopping being fine as long as the players are wearing masks. That maps pretty neatly to point that sustained indoor contact (with people outside the bubble) is the highest risk activity.

Not sure what the Sydney rules will look like, but I suspect they'll have to be quite stringent to assuage the QLD government re the border exemption, and Brisbane is sounding like 'at the ground, else hotel quarantine' for the time they're up there.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't know if the details of precisely how the bubbles function have ever been released, but there's a fair few things that can be inferred from the reporting - there's been a few articles on bubble fatigue over the past couple of weeks:

My understanding is that Australian players are under the same bubble restrictions as India, but obviously being a home series it's easier for them to leave and rejoin the bubble (e.g. the absences of Warner and Starc throughout). Sounds like it's also possible for them to get family into the bubble. From memory when the Adelaide restrictions came in mid-Test, Starc was saved on the basis of having to do a three-day at-home isolation before rejoining the bubble.

The restrictions were described as being looser in Adelaide and Melbourne, and they sound similar to the BBL bubble rules (which came into focus with the Lawrence/Lynn breach in Canberra - which was also indoor dining from memorywhich was selfie-related). Notably, Lynn and Lawrence played the match the following night but did have to isolate off-field and social distance on-field iirc (and were fined heavily).

Solid 15 minutes today. Good job Dan.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Literally the best option when in Brisbane anyway. Have spent trips up there for work and only ever gone between airport, court and the Hilton. There’s genuinely nothing else decent about the joint.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Have zero sympathy for the Pav Bhaji patrol squad incident yesterday but a lot of sympathy for the idea of the Indian players at large preferring to play two tests in Sydney.

Wish they weren't conflated but that's impossible with the turn of events I guess.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Literally the best option when in Brisbane anyway. Have spent trips up there for work and only ever gone between airport, court and the Hilton. There’s genuinely nothing else decent about the joint.
Last time I went to Brisbane I drank with Steve Dickson for hours.

No strip club adventures, sadly. I feel ripped off after the scandal.