• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A mate of mine who isn't a Surrey supporter reckons that Burns will be captaining the side next summer. Quite why anyone would dump this on Rory is beyond me, but he may have a point. At least Burns has some captaincy experience, and not being captain may make a difference to Root's batting.
It's getting to the point where I'd rather give it to Rory Hamilton-Brown than Root ffs

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Used to get slagged off for being defensive. It worked though.
Hate the “too defensive” ex captains, all of whom played the odds themselves when they had the gig. If being attritional plays to the strengths of your side, you do it. The Waugh and Ponting sides used to wear teams down by bowling a dry line and they ha McGrath and Warne ffs.

stephen

Can't ask for a much better session than that. Not really a pitch problem either. Just relentless good bowling combined with a paper thin batting line-up that has a woefully out of form best batsman.

morgieb

Hate the “too defensive” ex captains, all of whom played the odds themselves when they had the gig. If being attritional plays to the strengths of your side, you do it. The Waugh and Ponting sides used to wear teams down by bowling a dry line and they ha McGrath and Warne ffs.
Yeah no captain in the world was all aggressive all the time. I guess the closest was Clarke and even he knew the value of dry bowling.

Burgey

Not sure there is an answer to this tbf.

Speaking of captaincy, pretty sure Jimmy put himself forward when Cook retired. Feel like he could do a stopgap job up until retirement, but of course that could be any time. Broad the best bet I guess.
The obvious choice would be a shocking look, wouldn’t he? And it might be too much anyway. Didn’t sit well with flintoff or Botham

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
The obvious choice would be a shocking look, wouldn’t he? And it might be too much anyway. Didn’t sit well with flintoff or Botham
Really shouldn't be on the table, no.

How many particularly successful genuine allrounder captains have there been? Imran? Any others?

Uppercut

Yeah no captain in the world was all aggressive all the time. I guess the closest was Clarke and even he knew the value of dry bowling.
I wasn't following very closely, but McCullum was pretty aggro too, no?

It was appropriate for Clarke, they were trying to build that hyper-competitive ethos that spun out of control in SA. Strauss's England weren't like that, they were built on a kind of ruthless patience.

TheJediBrah

They didn't have a deep point for a whole innings though

Son Of Coco

I've noticed this is called the 'Participation Test'. Is everyone going to get a trophy for their non performance?
I was just thinking the same thing. Given the number of batsmen who are apparently sitting it out, I assumed there must be some kind of protest going on.

Burgey

Was talking to Corrin earlier about Root and we think he had a perfect chance today to own stuff and didn’t do it - he should have told Roy he had a licence from ball one and if it didn’t come off he’d back him in for the next test and cop the stick for it; and he should have insisted on batting four.

He’s the skipper and he could have made a statement doing both those things. Your players respond to that sort of ****, whether it works or not.

Conversation also confirmed yet again Corrin is a massive ****

Last edited: